another ATM incident, and then right outside my home, all in west allis WI

This is a discussion on another ATM incident, and then right outside my home, all in west allis WI within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i just got back home (yes this literally just happened) i had to run to the bank before i got home from work. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: another ATM incident, and then right outside my home, all in west allis WI

another ATM incident, and then right outside my home, all in west allis WI

So i just got back home (yes this literally just happened) i had to run to the bank before i got home from work. I had to deposit two checks, i cant tomorrow because its my weekend for the national guard, and wont have time too. Well i get to the bank, of course its closed, so i stop at the ATM, and i cant reach it through my truck window, and its way to tight of a drive to open the truck door. So i have to back out, and then walk up to the drive through atm. Before i even get out i scan the well lit parking lot and scan. Absolutly nothing. I get out and walk up to the atm. i insert the card, and punch my pin, as i click deposit, I hear faint footsteps. I turn to see a guy, holding his pants up, running at me from across the lot. I shout "STOP!" still he continues running, at that point I start to move towards my truck for cover should he have a gun. In the process I shout again "STOP NOW!!!!" still no response. Then I reach into my brest pocket of my jacket (I am in my security uniform and my badge is plane as day in the light, not that my badge really means anything) and grab my taurus model 85, I DO NOT DRAW! At which point of me, taking my defensive stance ready to draw and shoot. He must have realized he picked the wrong person at the ATM, because he turned around and ran away.
    My heart was going crazy, the adrenaline dump deffinately kicked in. I think ill be up for a while, but i have to be up at 3am for drill . Anywho, I called local LEO's and informed them of what happened, they said they will make a note of it, but cant afford to send anyone out right now. I said that was fine, I just wanted to make them aware of it.
    So i go back to the ATM get my deposit slip and drop off the checks in the overnight box. Then drive home. When i get home, i need to cool down before i go inside. So i decide to go sit on the front porch to smoke a Cig. As i sit down, i light my cig and see a guy walking down the sidewalk. He sees me light the cig, and decides he wants a light. So he comes walking up on to my walk way to my porch where i am. Still keeping the ATM situation in mind, i immediately shout "stop" and assume a defensive stance, and demand what he wants. he says a light. and produces a single cig. against my better judgement, I tossed him my lighter from the porch to the sidewalk where he was. Roughly 10 yards. he lit his smoke and left.

WHAT A ROUGH NIGHT! BEWARE OF THE ATM'S.

I wanted to share this, and then also thank all who shared previous posts on issues like this. It came in handy. Not to mention some of the trainning excercises that i practice, like moving for cover behind the truck till i can identify the over all threat.

like i said THANK YOU!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    So i just got back home (yes this literally just happened) i had to run to the bank before i got home from work. I had to deposit two checks, i cant tomorrow because its my weekend for the national guard, and wont have time too. Well i get to the bank, of course its closed, so i stop at the ATM, and i cant reach it through my truck window, and its way to tight of a drive to open the truck door. So i have to back out, and then walk up to the drive through atm. Before i even get out i scan the well lit parking lot and scan. Absolutly nothing. I get out and walk up to the atm. i insert the card, and punch my pin, as i click deposit, I hear faint footsteps. I turn to see a guy, holding his pants up, running at me from across the lot. I shout "STOP!" still he continues running, at that point I start to move towards my truck for cover should he have a gun. In the process I shout again "STOP NOW!!!!" still no response. Then I reach into my brest pocket of my jacket (I am in my security uniform and my badge is plane as day in the light, not that my badge really means anything) and grab my taurus model 85, I DO NOT DRAW! At which point of me, taking my defensive stance ready to draw and shoot. He must have realized he picked the wrong person at the ATM, because he turned around and ran away.
    My heart was going crazy, the adrenaline dump deffinately kicked in. I think ill be up for a while, but i have to be up at 3am for drill . Anywho, I called local LEO's and informed them of what happened, they said they will make a note of it, but cant afford to send anyone out right now. I said that was fine, I just wanted to make them aware of it.
    So i go back to the ATM get my deposit slip and drop off the checks in the overnight box. Then drive home. When i get home, i need to cool down before i go inside. So i decide to go sit on the front porch to smoke a Cig. As i sit down, i light my cig and see a guy walking down the sidewalk. He sees me light the cig, and decides he wants a light. So he comes walking up on to my walk way to my porch where i am. Still keeping the ATM situation in mind, i immediately shout "stop" and assume a defensive stance, and demand what he wants. he says a light. and produces a single cig. against my better judgement, I tossed him my lighter from the porch to the sidewalk where he was. Roughly 10 yards. he lit his smoke and left.

WHAT A ROUGH NIGHT! BEWARE OF THE ATM'S.

I wanted to share this, and then also thank all who shared previous posts on issues like this. It came in handy. Not to mention some of the trainning excercises that i practice, like moving for cover behind the truck till i can identify the over all threat.

like i said THANK YOU!
    WOW glad to hear your OK and it went in your favor

VIP Member
    I am glad you did not have to make the news tonight.
    jerp and msgt/ret like this.

Sounds as though YOU could be compared to the proverbial "pile" drawing flies tonight...LOL...Sounds as though your SA did you well tonight. Stay alert, keep TRAINING, be safe. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

This is about the 4th incident I have read about in just a few days at the ATM's......what would happen if you weren't carrying like us here in NJ.......is the mere gesture of reaching for a weapon enough to forstall an imposing threat ?

Damn, not good.

glad you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    This is about the 4th incident I have read about in just a few days at the ATM's......what would happen if you weren't carrying like us here in NJ.......is the mere gesture of reaching for a weapon enough to forstall an imposing threat ?
    I know that if i had not had my weapon, i would have hopped in my truck locked the doors and tried to drive off, or just use the heavy deet bug spray in my truck. and woulda been on the phone immediately with 911 to report a robbery. reguardless if the ATM was still active on my account. cameras can prove that, the BG was in my account.

and thanks guys. all i can say is SA and Trainning save the day. BEWARE OF ATM's as times get rougher crime like that goes higher.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Noted... thanks!

And glad you're OK.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I never heard of West Allis until I went there to visit my wife's family. Just outside of Milwaukee. Glad you're safe and gunpowder free.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Good to hear your ok.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people don't ALWAYS get out of their cars' at ATM machines. Staying in your car results in a 180 degree blind spot at a lot of atms. smh...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    I turn to see a guy, holding his pants up, running at me from across the lot.
    I just can't figure this out....... "Ok I'm going to rob some guy tonight, but I'll do it disadvantaged while I'm hindered while dealing with my pants"?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for a potential BG to put himself at a disadvantage. If it wasn't so seriously stupid it would be funny.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I haven't used an ATM in years. I don't carry my card and I can't recall my pin number. I'm a direct deposit and drive-thru guy. Now that I moved and the bank here is posted, I don't even go inside anymore. If I can't do my banking from my truck, I'm just not doing it.
    Badey and jem102 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Situational awareness is great, but getting the wrong message at the wrong time from the wrong people,
    spooking yourself too, isn't so good.

Moreover, your first response at the ATM was to think about going into a combat mode; taking
    cover behind your trunk, readying to get your gun. Maybe you need some other strategy and
    a different first line of defense.

You don't know why the guy was running to the ATM. What if he just needed to get his money fast?
    You yell stop at him while he is quite some distance from you; why the heck should he pay any attention
    to what you yell at him-- if he even heard you at all?

The guy with the cigarette may have been an interview. But again you got spooky too easily.

My thought, calm down before you make an horrific mistake.

From time to time people post stuff here like if, "if your only tool is a hammer every problem is a nail."
    If your only took is your gun, every encounter instantly looks to you like mortal combat.

Back to the ATM guy. You were in your uniform. I assume you are a young fit looking guy. His hands
    are visible and busy holding his pants up. Probably the worst he might have done is panhandle a few bucks.
    He wasn't cribbing a knife-- you could see that. If he let go of his pants to assault you he'd be at a distinct
    disadvantage with pants around his knees.

The other side of this might be the call to 911--- "Hey, there's a crazy dude at the ATM yelling at people and
    keeping them away from the machine."
    Last edited by Hopyard; March 17th, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: changed "to" to "too"
    DMan likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaterSalad View Post
    Good to hear your ok.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people don't ALWAYS get out of their cars' at ATM machines. Staying in your car results in a 180 degree blind spot at a lot of atms. smh...
    Yes, but it also provides the protection of the body frame and the means for a fast drive away. Just be cautious to
    not get boxed in so you can't drive off.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have to agree with Hopyard on this one. Although, there's something in the air lately.

Seems like more than the usual "bugs" are coming out this spring.
    DMan likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links