Robbed - Page 2

Robbed

This is a discussion on Robbed within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ELCruisr ....... BTW I had a little female lab once that was a fine watch dog. She tore the heck out of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbed

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    ....... BTW I had a little female lab once that was a fine watch dog. She tore the heck out of a guy that tried to molest my wife one night and later almost killed a loose, out of control, german shepard that tried to attack a friends small child. You never really know about some dogs untill they're tested!
    ...must be an ancestor of my runt female yellow lab, she's a great watchdog, sometimes too good, very protective, great alarm in the night
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

This is the sort of instance that can happen that I keep telling myself to stay armed. I also get lazy at home with being armed. I am now staying armed at home 100% of the time. It will be a little easier as soon as Kansas permits are issued Jan 07. Won't have to remove it every time I leave my property. Glad your safe!

J.S.

You don't happen to work for the Veteran's Administration, do you?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Glad all worked out safety wise.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    So, do you work for the VA? j/k (EDIT: Dang it, I wrote that before I saw the above... honest. )

Going after the thief depends on you. If you're up to handling the split second decisions that might need to be made, if you're familiar with your state's laws on citizen's arrest, and if you're OK with the fact things may escalate out of all proportion to what was stolen, then go for it.

MOST people are probably better off staying home and calling the cops.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

This IS a very good thread!

This kink of thing can happens to any one of us . No one is invenerable to this.

So many people responeded with real pearls of wisdom. I hardly know where to start .

One think that realy caught my atention, was.
    Digital cameras and 10x optical zoom are a modern wonder. In traffic situations, I've used these before and had great results ... both at documenting and defusing situations. 'Course, with a snatch-and-grab out of your own home, there's little time for that.
    My father used one of his "game hunting cameras" to catch some of the local high school students. That used my familys front yard to do "Doughnuts" in. He got the make, model, and tag number of the car, and four wheeler My dad now has a "reputation" in the local high school .
    My lil'sis isnt so thrilled about this fact. Wich makes a bounus for my dad

My freind has a alarm for his motorcycle, that will send a page to his cell phone. When the alarm sets off.
    If something like this exist for motorcycles. Why would it not be in the market, for home security? Im a bit tired to reserch it ATM. But, it might be something well worth investing in.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    ... [alarm] that will send a page to his cell phone. Why would it not be in the market, for home security?
    It's a optional item on many home alarm systems.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry you lost the computer, but glad you're safe

As Rock and Glock pointed out, your personal data on the computer is a potentially serious loss. My wife and I are both among the many whose data is possibly in the wrong hands after the VA debacle.

I've taken to keeping all that kind of data in a pocket sized USB drive. They're available in capacities up to 8GB these days and prices have really come down. The drive stays in my pocket when it isn't plugged into a computer, and important data is always available no matter what computer I'm at.

Rick
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Lead Moderator
    I just have to wonder if they were armed at all? It amazes me that they chance coming into an open (occupied) home!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Glad no one was injured...
    Stay safe...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Check the pawn shops. In Virginia, pawn operators have to crosscheck all items with the police daily against stolen items.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My girlfriend installed a bunch of alarms on the windows so they go off if the window is opened. She also put nails in the sides of the windows so they won't fully open. I am not really worried about the perps coming back but it won't be nearly as easy for them if they do.
    Thanks for all of your responses.
    It is just so disturbing to know that a stranger was in my house and up to no good.
    I have been checking ebay and craigslist to see if my computer turns up. There is a slightly suspicious listing on ebay but I don't think it is mine because of a dent on the keyboard that I had. Sure would love to catch someone with it.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

One more thing to consider: Plant thorny or otherwise uncomfortable bushes under your first-floor windows. Don't make a hiding place for attackers near your entrances, but just under the windows. This makes a smash and grab less likely and will more than likely cause a ruckus if attempted. I know in my neighborhood most plants are on sale for the end of the season. Maybe I'll go take a look myself.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Has anyone ever heard of cut-resistant screens?
    I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    One more thing to consider: Plant thorny or otherwise uncomfortable bushes under your first-floor windows.
    Down here we have a wonderful thing called spanish bayonets. Not many are willing to try to get through those things!

Quote Originally Posted by stevetim View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of cut-resistant screens?
    I'm sure they are out there somewhere.
    You can buy stainless steel screens. Not very cheap and I think you would need different screen frames but they would be hard to cut with a razor blade or pocket knife.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links