Robbed

Robbed

This is a discussion on Robbed within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you guys and gals are going to yell at me. My laptop was stolen yesterday off my dining room table while I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbed

Robbed

I know you guys and gals are going to yell at me.
    My laptop was stolen yesterday off my dining room table while I was home at one in the afternoon. I had the radio and lights on. The dog was on the first floor (labs are not good guard dogs by the way). I was upstairs when this happend. The windows and backdoor were open. The creep came in the side window after slitting the screen with a boost from a buddy and grabbed the laptop off the table. I heard a ziiiip sound when the screen was cut but thought in was my girlfriend taking off her coat or something. Then a bang as the chair was moved from the table.
    Hmm....
    That was a strange two noises. So, I come downstairs and look around. There is a kid sitting on his bike in front of my house (lookout I presume). I walk around and notice my laptop is gone and then notice the slit in the screen. I go upstairs, grab the glock and hop in my truck and drive down the street. I see the same kid that I saw in front of my house with another six or seven kids. He stares at me as I stare at him. I dont see the computer. I go home and call the cops.
    My mistakes...
    I went downstairs after hearing strange sounds unarmed.
    I didnt call the cops immediately after seeing my house had been broken into.
    I went chasing after who I thought was responsible.
    It is surprising how the upper level cognitive functions shut down when under stress. I didnt think about what I was doing. This is my first instance of this and hopefully my last. I have learned my lessons.
    -Fox
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Lead Moderator
    Glad no one was hurt. Your material possessions can be replaced,however mad it makes you that they took em .
    Folowing the kid on the bike is probably a good idea. I would have tried to find where he lives, so the PD could question him.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Tough lesson. Ditto on what Rocky said.

Dependent on the data on your laptop (bank records, tax data, investments, private data) of yours or anyone elses, you ought to move fast to safe-guard your identity. Notify all three credit reporting agencies, and freeze credit inquiries and credit approvals, etc. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

The PO's I talked with seemed to know the Kid that I followed on the bike. There has been a rash of laptop thefts in the last two weeks. I hope they catch them even if I don't get my computer back. I would be happy to know they got caught for something. I think that they probably stole it for drug money...
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Glad you are safe. Seems like you learned from your mistakes on this one. We can all use this as a lesson of making an assumption about noises.

I guess I'd be more concerned about a return visit in the night than anything else. Unless your security measures at night are better than by day you're a setup for a more dangerous situation by desperate intruders.

One thing that would not happen to me would be walking into the situation unarmed...I simply wear my gun all the time, makes it easier for when I want to run an errand or go out into the yard/neighborhood.

Heed the warning and get prepared. They know you will now get a new computer, so in about two weeks you're a candidate for a repeat performance.

Assistant Administrator
    Dang - that really sucks.

One thing I have learned over the years, is how quickly a perp can, if given enough time - sneak into a place and take something.

I really sympathize and hope somehow the cops track these punks down - tho it well may not see your puter back. For sure - take measures to deal with any security issues.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Glad you are o.k, but don't be complacent and don't let people tell you that you are too paranoid. Because when they do this we can began to believe them and ease up. Be glad that they were only kids because in your unarmed state a real bad guy would have been a problem.Always carry even in your home. Now, go get the forum a switch. This is gonna hurt us more than you.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

You know, it's sad, I grew up in rural VT and we never even locked our doors. I left in the 70's and talking to a few old friends, they say I wouldn't recognize the place and wouldn't like what I saw. Things just don't seem to change for the better with all this "improvement" and "development"!

Sorry to hear about the loss and hope they catch 'em. BTW I had a little female lab once that was a fine watch dog. She tore the heck out of a guy that tried to molest my wife one night and later almost killed a loose, out of control, german shepard that tried to attack a friends small child. You never really know about some dogs untill they're tested!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

First always stay armed!

With things like this I always keep the alarm on with windows open during the day. I work out of my house so I am home much of the day. I am working so not as alert as if I was'nt of course. My alarm system is smart enough to be set, walk about the house (inside) and if a door is opened or a sensor is breached! well, I know about it right away.

I will also likely know about someone around the house because I have camera's placed throught the outside of my house and property. I live on 5 acres so it is good to have.

I am in the communications business, fiber optic, voice, data, secruity, fire alarm, T1 lines, etc, so I have access to the equipment and know how to install it but my point is there are plug and play systems out there for anyone and can be easily installed. Inexpencive wireless system's for the average everyday home owner is all you need. My system will call me when tripped, I can check the cameras online to see what's going on and I don't have a montering service that I have to pay every month. Depends on your budget but a $500.00 self installed system can save your $2,000 laptop among other things of value in your house.

Look into a system for your need's or want's. Get one you can instsall yourself and monitor yourself. If you had a system in place your BG theif would be either in jail or on the new's.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage the board to check into it and know that there are systems out there for everyone, from the smallest of budgets to the largest of budgets. You can also add on a system as you go so you can start small and build it to what you want.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    My lab would have made the guy think twice about approaching the window; much less come through it. He doesn't like strangers coming near the house at all.

Glad everyone is alright. Sounds like you handled it all very well. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Awwwww don't feel bad. Things like this happen. When I was a senior at BAMA in 1979 I lived in a run down house with two other Army ROTC cadets. We all had concealed weapons permits. Everybody owned a pistol. Mine was a S&W M19 with a 4" bbl and a great Shoulder holster by SafariLand. One of my roomies was a Ranger school grad we were all ready to graduate and get our commissions.

One night, we all had had one or a dozen too many beers and were variously passed out around the house. Somebody did as happened to you and slit the kitchen door screen, came in and stole....GASP! All of our booze. Bottle of some really good stuff! LOTS of it! We never stirred. As a criminal justice major with all of the campus cops and the city cops for Tuscaloosa in my classes...well you can imagine the ribbing I got! It was a very good lesson, though. I'm glad they were after our booze. It could have been a Danny Rolling type serial or spree killer and we'd have ALL been toast.

We replaced the booze. Made a big show of doing so. Laid a nice ambush with interlocking fires and a very remote chance of "collateral damage" and we laid in wait. That was dumb too. It didn't work. But it made us feel better. FWIW, a combat veteran NCO (served in a Ranger Battalion in 'Nam) came in and saw our set up. He was an NCO for ROTC and he approived 100% so that was a sort of "professional recognition" of sorts.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Folowing the kid on the bike is probably a good idea. I would have tried to find where he lives, so the PD could question him.
    Or, if he's got friends and leads you into an ambush, it could be a very different type of situation.

Digital cameras and 10x optical zoom are a modern wonder. In traffic situations, I've used these before and had great results ... both at documenting and defusing situations. 'Course, with a snatch-and-grab out of your own home, there's little time for that.

In your situation, I can't see how you'd protect against it, save two things: (a) clean the ear wax out of the dog's ears , or (b) install alarms on the windows for even when you're home. Neither is very realistic. It's one of the reasons I desperately hate first-floor windows, as they can be so easily breached.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I have been waiting for someone to mention this and I am not trying to pile on but I am not sure getting the gun and then following was a good idea.

It seems to me if something had happened and you ended up shooting a bad guy it would not be much of a stretch for some liberal prosecutor to convince a jury you went out looking for trouble.

Just my two cents!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Or, if he's got friends and leads you into an ambush, it could be a very different type of situation.

A possible senario, but my thought was following from a vehicle. even a bunch of kids on bikes shouldn't be much of a problem. As for following on foot, no thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links