Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

This is a discussion on Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by goldmaster Why didn't you call 911 when you saw him unscrew your light bulb? Well, this was all happening too fast. The ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

Quote Originally Posted by goldmaster View Post
    Why didn't you call 911 when you saw him unscrew your light bulb?
    Well, this was all happening too fast. The guy was RIGHT THERE. He could have kicked the door in IMMEDIATELY. So, I asked myself what do I want to have in my hand if he (or 'they') come through the door - a phone or a .45? I chose the .45.........

-
    atctimmy, 21bubba and 1911_Kimber like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    Not to criticize, but you really should have called the police. It might have saved your neighbor the trouble. It clearly wasn't just a random "wrong address" situation with the deliberate tampering of the lights.
    OK, others here have suggested this, and some posters are much harsher to me, saying I may have endangered the neighbor. But honestly, the houses in the neighborhood are cookie-cutter style (very similar), so people showing up looking for another address is a common occurrence in my area, it happens a few times a year.

The tampering of the lights DID set off my alarm bells, and if I had seen multiple perps walking away (I watched the guy as he left), I would have called the cops. But he was one guy, on foot, so I just didn't think it was worth calling the cops.

Live and learn. I guess the real signal of his bad intentions was the unscrewing of the bulbs - that alone merited called 911.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Chevy, I too would of had a .45 in my hand and as soon as the perp left my porch [as you stated in your op] I would have called 911. I'm not trying to be critical or a Monday morning quaterback and definetly not blaming you for the perps actions against your neighbor. However if someone knocks on my door at 11pm, then unscrews my porch lightbulb,I will call 911 at the very least.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Glad you are ok, and except for the window and some nerves so is your neighbor. In the situation I would hope to do the same as you. Keep up the good work.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

We learned that trick a long time ago when they broke into my truck so now we have tamper proof lighting

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I wouldn't have done or said anything.
    pacman likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    OK, others here have suggested this, and some posters are much harsher to me, saying I may have endangered the neighbor. But honestly, the houses in the neighborhood are cookie-cutter style (very similar), so people showing up looking for another address is a common occurrence in my area, it happens a few times a year.

The tampering of the lights DID set off my alarm bells, and if I had seen multiple perps walking away (I watched the guy as he left), I would have called the cops. But he was one guy, on foot, so I just didn't think it was worth calling the cops.

Live and learn. I guess the real signal of his bad intentions was the unscrewing of the bulbs - that alone merited called 911.
    Chevy IMO you did just fine. It was your home, your family that needed protection. Your neighbor is not your responsibility, he should of done that for himself. As for being prepared with gun in hand rather than calling the PD, I stand by your decision....
    First Sgt and Doodle like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    I would have called the police, but I would also have had my gun in my hand the same while looking. And actually it would have been my wife who called police while I was watching the guy. This would have happened the second he started to unscrew my light. Someone who messes with your property, without asking, should have a conversation with a police officer (in my opinion).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Very Glad you and your neighbors are safe. I agree with Rock and Glock mount the lights in a different location or enclose them.

VIP Member
    Yes, my neighbor has no firearms. He was more afraid for his son's safety than his own. I am still surprised that the neighbor did not shout out.

^^^^^^^^Chevy-SS^^^^^^^^^

Are you the naughty neighbor with this sign in the front yard,,,,,???????

C'mon now,fess-up.
    Attached Images
    Spec likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Chevy IMO you did just fine. It was your home, your family that needed protection. Your neighbor is not your responsibility, he should of done that for himself. As for being prepared with gun in hand rather than calling the PD, I stand by your decision....
    My neighbor is not my responsibility, he's my friend. Glad you're not watching my six...
    Chief1297 likes this.

Once the window is broken, the local weather is going to immediately change to 'lightning and thunder'.
    oldnfat likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Do you see my avatar? Any knock on my door gets a couple angry BOXERS who don't like strangers.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well, this was all happening too fast. The guy was RIGHT THERE. He could have kicked the door in IMMEDIATELY. So, I asked myself what do I want to have in my hand if he (or 'they') come through the door - a phone or a .45? I chose the .45.........

-
    Glad your OK. I would have chose the 45 as well. Not to quarterback on monday but calling the police would have been a good idea. I bet the neighbor is shooping for a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I wouldn't have done or said anything.
    LOL..no comment but that was a good one.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links