Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

This is a discussion on Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP - Good job. Thanks for posting so we can all have the chance to run through this scenario in our own minds. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

To the OP -

Good job. Thanks for posting so we can all have the chance to run through this scenario in our own minds. In general, I would say the police would rather come check out a suspicious person now instead of potentially having to respond to a breaking and entering later. I guess I'm just thinking that you shouldn't be afraid to call 911 for something that might seem minor. If it set you on red alert, it's worth calling. Who knows? Maybe this guy just robbed a place and the cops are looking for him, and your phone call helps them find him. Trust your instincts.
    accessbob likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Sounds to me like a great opportunity to invite your neighbors over to discuss the basics of home/neighborhood defense. Not just firearms, but effective door locks, security film for windows, tamper resistant lighting, security cameras, etc. You would be amazed how little most home-owners know about defending life and property.
    GhostRed7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Easy there... He did not know this cat's intention for sure and he did not know what the guy was going to do... no one was harmed.
    Didn't know his intention? If I got an 11 PM knock on my door and saw a dude unscrewing my porch lights, I'd be pretty sure it wasn't Avon calling.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Didn't know his intention? If I got an 11 PM knock on my door and saw a dude unscrewing my porch lights, I'd be pretty sure it wasn't Avon calling.

As I explained in a previous post, I am REGULARLY getting these late night knocks. Most often, it is pizza delivery guys at the wrong address. So I am not going into immediate panic mode if someone knocks on door. The real indicator was when he unscrewed the bulbs. At that point, I grabbed my .45.

I should have called 911 as soon as he left. But I believe I made the right choice to grab my gun before grabbing the phone.....

Peace, and thanks for comments.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I want to know how he didn't burn his fingers when he unscrewed the bulb?

I think that would qualify as criminal mischief... Maybe he was "borrowing the bulb" and obvious destruction of property at the neighbors and likely attempted breaking and entering.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I want to know how he didn't burn his fingers when he unscrewed the bulb?

I think that would qualify as criminal mischief... Maybe he was "borrowing the bulb" and obvious destruction of property at the neighbors and likely attempted breaking and entering.
    Well, the lights had been off, so they were cool to the touch. You could easily have removed the bulbs and held them in your hand. But he only loosened the bulbs, he did not completely remove them.

Right, he loosen it so it won't light up.

The Kirby guy tried getting inside with his vacuum at my house. I told him no three times. He started to try to open the screen door.

I thought about asking of he knew what castle doctrine was an then flash him my piece under my tshirt.

I just slammed the door on his face and locked it. He stood there for a few minutes then went back to the mini van. I got to keep the free sample of kleinex.

I hate salesmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, the lights had been off, so they were cool to the touch. You could easily have removed the bulbs and held them in your hand. But he only loosened the bulbs, he did not completely remove them.
    So he was unscrewing light bulbs that were turned off? A motion detector would have lit them up as he approached. Otherwise, the only reason they would illuminate would be by a switch flipped inside the house... meaning that the homeowner knew of his presence.

I guess since he was seeking a fictitious person as a ruse to test for occupancy, he didn't want to have an eyewitness description.

Or maybe he was a vampire and couldn't stand the light.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by getlost4x4 View Post
    The Kirby guy tried getting inside with his vacuum at my house. I told him no three times. He started to try to open the screen door.

I thought about asking of he knew what castle doctrine was an then flash him my piece under my tshirt.

I just slammed the door on his face and locked it. He stood there for a few minutes then went back to the mini van. I got to keep the free sample of kleinex.

I hate salesmen.
    Those kirby people are aggressive, they are taught to hand you something when they begin their spiel. Welcome to the forum, this is your first post, please introduce yourself in New Members Introduce Yourself
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Gun in hand would've been my first choice. Second would be to call 911.

My question to everyone is this: Assume this situation goes south and the BG breaks in, would it be wise to have 911 on the line so that your warnings to the BG are recorded before the big BANG?
    It's not the weapon that makes me hesitant to fire upon someone at long range, but the legal ramifications and plethora of good prosecuting attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    So he was unscrewing light bulbs that were turned off? A motion detector would have lit them up as he approached. .....

The motion detector performed its' job admirably. The reason he unscrewed the bulbs is because the motion detector had turned them on.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    You could have gotten a neighbor killed. Call 911 next time you have an incident... Think not only about yourself and family but the other neighbors as well. I certainly would not like knowing I could have stopped a perp from harming someone else...

I could see it now... cops ask, so you KNEW the guy was a BG and you did what???
    we never know exactly what we are going to do when the poop hits the fan... BUT I do like this forum and recommend it to others because most posts are non-inflammatory and generally polite. The quoted post here is not one of those...

Reply, "Yeah, Mike's right here. Let me get him for you." and return with your 12 ga shotty and rack a round in the chamber. Then yell, "OK, Mike's ready to talk as soon as you screw my light bulb back in."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Reply, "Yeah, Mike's right here. Let me get him for you." and return with your 12 ga shotty and rack a round in the chamber. Then yell, "OK, Mike's ready to talk as soon as you screw my light bulb back in."
    Nothing gets your blood pumping like a good old fashioned "shick shack" of a pump action. Mines got 4 in the tube and 5 on the side, sitting right by the bed for reasons exactly like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links