Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion - Page 5

Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

This is a discussion on Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP: You did good. Of course you could have done better -- I have never done anything in my life that I couldn't have done ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

  1. #61
    Member Array ducatirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Carroll County, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    77
    OP:

    You did good.

    Of course you could have done better -- I have never done anything in my life that I couldn't have done better.

    Thank you for posting this so we could digest and comment on it.


  2. #62
    Senior Member Array boatail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    va.
    Posts
    696
    Yea, messing with the light was a bad sign. Home invasions are my hair raiser. Thats why I either carry a gun or have one within arm's reach. There is NO time to respond to someone charging through your door. Glad things turned out OK
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

  3. #63
    Member Array HonorGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by abillb View Post
    Should have told him put the bulb back the way he found it!
    Hahaha +1
    "If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
    --Author unknown

  4. #64
    Senior Member Array Bubbiesdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    As I explained in a previous post, I am REGULARLY getting these late night knocks. Most often, it is pizza delivery guys at the wrong address. So I am not going into immediate panic mode if someone knocks on door. The real indicator was when he unscrewed the bulbs. At that point, I grabbed my .45.

    I should have called 911 as soon as he left. But I believe I made the right choice to grab my gun before grabbing the phone.....

    Peace, and thanks for comments.

    -
    I am always armed when I check to see who's knocking. Day or night.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

  5. #65
    VIP Member Array obxned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OBX, NC
    Posts
    2,655
    Go to the dog pound, directly to the dog pound, and do not return without a couple or three new friends. Seriously, if you have the time, energy, and love to give to four-legged best friends, they are a very effective home invasion prevention system.

    With so many houses to invade, why risk hitting yours and becoming a chew toy.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

  6. #66
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Go to the dog pound, directly to the dog pound, and do not return without a couple or three new friends. Seriously, if you have the time, energy, and love to give to four-legged best friends, they are a very effective home invasion prevention system.

    With so many houses to invade, why risk hitting yours and becoming a chew toy.

    I had a terrific 4-legged "BFF". His name was Mojo, but he went to doggie Heaven a few months ago, and I'm still grieving (as corny as that may sound).

    But your suggestion is an excellent one, and I do intend to take your advice once my heart heals.

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  7. #67
    Senior Member Array boatail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    va.
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I had a terrific 4-legged "BFF". His name was Mojo, but he went to doggie Heaven a few months ago, and I'm still grieving (as corny as that may sound).

    But your suggestion is an excellent one, and I do intend to take your advice once my heart heals.

    -
    Sorry about Mojo..it does hurt like hell. Because of that statement I can tell that he had the best possible ride in this life. They are the absolute best early warning and defense friend a person can have. Getting another one shortens that "time will heal " window.
    tundra likes this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

  8. #68
    New Member Array Concealment Frame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Yea, messing with the light was a bad sign. Home invasions are my hair raiser. Thats why I either carry a gun or have one within arm's reach. There is NO time to respond to someone charging through your door. Glad things turned out OK
    I hear that. Have some of these around the house because you just never know where you'll be when someone invades.
    Concealment Frames
    Attached Images

  9. #69
    Member Array WillyNilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I had a terrific 4-legged "BFF". His name was Mojo, but he went to doggie Heaven a few months ago, and I'm still grieving (as corny as that may sound).

    But your suggestion is an excellent one, and I do intend to take your advice once my heart heals.

    -
    What's corny about grieving for your best friends? I miss my dogs more than I miss my friends. That ought to say something about "friends."
    Bigpoppa48 likes this.

  10. #70
    Member Array bcvojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    199
    Probably not a home invasion as it sound like he was looking for an unoccupied home to rob. Your neighbor probably could have avoided the grief by not hiding and just challenging the guy by asking who he was and what he wanted (without opening the door).

    Motion detector lights are great!

    I bought these at Costco in December. Two pack for $20.
    The Batteries are still going strong and the lights only took 5 minutes each to install!



    Not super bright but enough light to clearly see who is there. On top of that, just having the lights go on tells you something. Last month our dog (9lb Yorkie) went crazy barking at the door. And the motion light came on. . . Dog barking + Motion light on = something/someone must have been there.

    Never use to answer the door at night with a gun handy, but now that's the default method for me.

    Given the circumstances, even if you had called the cops it probably wouldn't have helped your neighbor as a simple suspicious person call probably has a 25-45 minute response time.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

  11. #71
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    ...Probably not a home invasion as it sound like he was looking for an unoccupied home to rob......
    At this point, I mostly concur. But there were two guys. They might have figured they could overpower anyone. I am extremely relieved they decided to NOT force entry. I am also relieved at my own reaction - I've never been tested like that, and I was satisfied that I remained focused and determined. My only thought at that point was stopping the threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    .....Your neighbor probably could have avoided the grief by not hiding and just challenging the guy by asking who he was and what he wanted (without opening the door).......
    I made same statements to my neighbor when he told me the story. I was AMAZED that he did not verbally respond to the knocking. He's lucky they did not come in. We (the neighbor and I) assume the BG's heard him talking to 911 and hastily beat feet.

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  12. #72
    Member Array jasgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    213
    Might want to think about how to discreetly open the door to a stranger if you had to. Can't very well have a gun open in hand. Can cover your gun with a newspaper or answer the door with a shrouded hammer J-frame held in a jacket pocket if you want to be at the ready.

    One thing about the neighbor not challenging. By not doing so, it gives him a great tactical advantage if he was armed as the BGs can't pinpoint where he was at or discern how many people were home.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Might want to think about how to discreetly open the door to a stranger if you had to. Can't very well have a gun open in hand. Can cover your gun with a newspaper or answer the door with a shrouded hammer J-frame held in a jacket pocket if you want to be at the ready.
    Done this many times already, with gun at side, hidden behind back. But I only open the door after an initial threat assessment.



    Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    One thing about the neighbor not challenging. By not doing so, it gives him a great tactical advantage if he was armed as the BGs can't pinpoint where he was at or discern how many people were home.
    Hmmm, I disagree with this. By not challenging, he's almost inviting the BG's to break in IMHO. I issued a challenge to MAKE SURE the BG's knew there was an adult male in the house. That way, if I ever had to argue in a court of law, I would think it's pretty clear at that point (after the challenge) that the BG's knew full well someone was in the house and that they would have to confront a defending homeowner and overcome said homeowner with violence.

    JMHO, of course. I'm no lawyer. But in Rhode Island, there is no duty to retreat from someone who is "breaking and entering". And the law (thankfully) would have been clearly on my side if I had to shoot. It wasn't always this way in this state. In the old days, I would have had to run out the back door. Crazy......

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  14. #74
    Member Array jasgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Hmmm, I disagree with this. By not challenging, he's almost inviting the BG's to break in IMHO. I issued a challenge to MAKE SURE the BG's knew there was an adult male in the house. That way, if I ever had to argue in a court of law, I would think it's pretty clear at that point (after the challenge) that the BG's knew full well someone was in the house and that they would have to confront a defending homeowner and overcome said homeowner with violence.

    JMHO, of course. I'm no lawyer. But in Rhode Island, there is no duty to retreat from someone who is "breaking and entering". And the law (thankfully) would have been clearly on my side if I had to shoot. It wasn't always this way in this state. In the old days, I would have had to run out the back door. Crazy......

    -
    There are pros and cons. But here is a what if scenario. What if the BGs were not just looking for targets of opportunity but were armed and intent on invading your house to get something valuable they heard of (i.e. gun collection, jewelry) or had the mistaken address of a drug dealer with money and drugs. Once knowing you're at the door, one BG goes to the back of the house or side window for entry to outflank you while the other keeps talking to you at the front door. Doors won't stop a well placed sledge hammer strike.

    I know, it sounds like a paranoia thing. Chances of that happening is probably like winning a lottery. But I'm sure mistaken home invasions have happened to people.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    There are pros and cons. But here is a what if scenario. What if the BGs were not just looking for targets of opportunity but were armed and intent on invading your house to get something valuable (i.e. gun collection) or had the mistaken address of a drug dealer with money and drugs. Once knowing you're at the door, the other goes to the back of the house or side window for entry while the other keeps talking to you at the front door.
    A valid point.

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can building inspectors trespass

,

home invasion defensive carry forum

,

is security film worth it

,

is wow brushes safe?

,

someone unscrewed my motion detection lights

,

sw9ve

,

sw9ve 2012 model

,

wow kid threatens wisconsin

Click on a term to search for related topics.