Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion - Page 6

Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

This is a discussion on Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jasgo Might want to think about how to discreetly open the door to a stranger if you had to . Can't very ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Might want to think about how to discreetly open the door to a stranger if you had to. Can't very well have a gun open in hand. Can cover your gun with a newspaper or answer the door with a shrouded hammer J-frame held in a jacket pocket if you want to be at the ready.

One thing about the neighbor not challenging. By not doing so, it gives him a great tactical advantage if he was armed as the BGs can't pinpoint where he was at or discern how many people were home.
    Easy answer: we DON'T open doors to strangers. Ever. Explain to me why you would. No need to get all riled up and drag a gun to the door. Simply ignore the caller until they leave.

M.
    You did a good job. looking back, we can always see ways to improve. I'd like to think I would've reacted differently once the light bulb was unscrewed. Call the police at at a minimum

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Easy answer: we DON'T open doors to strangers. Ever. Explain to me why you would. No need to get all riled up and drag a gun to the door. Simply ignore the caller until they leave.
    Usually not but an example can be if there is a neighborhood gas leak and people are knocking on doors to warn residents to evacuate. Or if someone you don't know is trying to tell you that he saw someone just hit your parked car and has a license plate number/car description. Or flowers are being delivered for your daughter. Things like that. If you live in a society, there are occasions that you can't avoid being a hermit.

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Usually not but an example can be if there is a neighborhood gas leak and people are knocking on doors to warn residents to evacuate. Or if someone you don't know is trying to tell you that he saw someone just hit your parked car and has a license plate number/car description. Or flowers are being delivered for your daughter. Things like that. If you live in a society, there are occasions that you can't avoid being a hermit.
    So, not answering your door for strangers = being a hermit? I respectfully disagree.

Get a peephole. I have insurance on my cars, and a flower delivery guy can leave them on the porch. Paul Revere riding around about a gas leak? You'll see official gas company vehicles, LEOs or at least a neighbor. If it's a stranger, you can ask their business through the door if you like. However, if some civilian-dressed stranger was yelling at me to vacate my house, I'd call 911 long before I just gathered everyone up and walked out.

Read this: Cary police: Man left party, broke into house, raped woman :: WRAL.com

This happened just a few blocks from where I live. We are far from hermits - we spend hours and hours outside our home in our pool, hot tub and screened porch. We simply no longer answer the door for strangers. We also travel globally - many places where we cannot carry like China, Italy, and France. However, to protect ourselves at home, we don't breach our perimeter security for strangers. YMMV.

We certainly don't consider ourselves hermits. We're just extra cautious with strangers. Big difference.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 27th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links