Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

This is a discussion on Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other night I was watching TV in bed at about 11 PM. I hear loud knock on front door. I figure it's either cops ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

Wow, had a very close brush with home invasion

The other night I was watching TV in bed at about 11 PM. I hear loud knock on front door. I figure it's either cops (not for me, I'm just a boring old guy, LOL) or pizza delivery guy at wrong address. Anyway, my motion sensor light had come on, as it is located right by the door. So I go into living room, and peek through blinds to see who it is, and as I'm watching, the guy reaches up and unscrews the big, bright floodlight bulbs. WHOA!!!!!!!!!

At this point my alarm bells go off at full red alert. I am expecting one (or more) potential perps. I have a .45 handy, which I grabbed and chambered a round. I yell out (without opening door) - "can I help you?". Guy says "is Mike here?". I say, "no Mike here". He says "sorry man", and walks down street. I relax slightly and go back to bed.

I found out (the next day) that the perp then apparently goes directly to immediate neighbor's house. Repeats same knocking scenario. My neighbor did not reply, he simply called 911. But the perp likely thought no one was home because he smashed a window (with the neighbor and his 7-year old son cowering inside). My neighbor remained quiet, said he was waiting for cops, but apparently the perp thought twice about trying to enter through the broken window and gave up. By the time the cops got there, the perp was gone.

I cannot believe I was inches away from a bona fide home invasion. My neighbor and I both were very lucky. Just goes to show, you gotta be prepared. I just got done chopping down two big bushes that were by my front door. They were beautiful, but they offered too much cover for potential bad guys. I am gonna add more lighting and some motion activated cameras. Damn................

-
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Should have told him put the bulb back the way he found it!

Whew! Glad you're ok and that it worked out. Too bad about your neighbor's window but at least they're ok too.
    Spade115 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    hi from your western neighbor...may i extend a sorry about ur crime wave but we in Corrupticut have a condition called 'overcrowding' at our prsions. so, knowing that the scum we release early will likely commit 6 to 8 crimes before getting caought again, we have decided that rather than over work our under staffed police departments...we wold let the lying scum---oh, i said that alredy----anyways, they promised to do their thieving not in state ( though they are allowed to bring the booty home for their mom; heck, evetone wants the best for their mom).

so, please treat them nice as they are just visiting and learning about interstate transportation of goods.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

i am glad that you are ok and safe as well as your neighbors. its sad about the window. and i don't know how well you know them, but were they pro2a or anti? and if anti do you think that it might change their minds?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    I think I would have released the hounds, especially after the light bulb bit.

Unless of course he was from the power company, checking to see if we were using power-saver bulbs.
    DamnitBob and Spec like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I think I would have released the hounds, especially after the light bulb bit.

Unless of course he was from the power company, checking to see if we were using power-saver bulbs.
    doubly so if he was checking my bulbs...those energy savers are EXPENSIVE!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    But the perp likely thought no one was home because he smashed a window (with the neighbor and his 7-year old son cowering inside).
    Why would he be cowering? No firearm?
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Thats a little too close for comfort.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Why didn't you call 911 when you saw him unscrew your light bulb?
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Man o man was that close. Good that everybody is safe though.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Not to criticize, but you really should have called the police. It might have saved your neighbor the trouble. It clearly wasn't just a random "wrong address" situation with the deliberate tampering of the lights.
    Chief1297 likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

should have told him Mike was there and inside. Tell him to some over. Tthen call the PD. Unscrewing a build on the house at a minimum it's criminal trespass. He showed intent by unscrewing the bulb.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    We can always think clearly the day after and it didn't happen to us. I think I would give the police a call, let them know what happened and they can decide if they want to investigate. were you able to provide a description of the guy. Can't shoot them for messing with your light but you know he is upto no-good.

I think you should consider new lights mounted out of reach too?
    Spade115 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links