Petition To Holder Regarding Sanford Shooting Has 320,000 Signatures

This is a discussion on Petition To Holder Regarding Sanford Shooting Has 320,000 Signatures within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received this email petition from Moveon.org. 320,000 is a bunch of torches and pitchforks. Justice for Trayvon Martin By Maria Roach (Contact) To ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Petition To Holder Regarding Sanford Shooting Has 320,000 Signatures

VIP Member

I just received this email petition from Moveon.org. 320,000 is a bunch of torches and pitchforks.

Justice for Trayvon Martin
    By Maria Roach (Contact)

To be delivered to: Pam Bondi, Florida Attorney General and Eric Holder, U.S. Attorney General

George Zimmerman's shooting of Trayvon Martin, an African American teenager, reveals a history of racism in Sanford, FL that has stubbornly refused to die. Weeks after the shooting, the Sanford police department is slow to release details of the shooting and, more surprisingly, has not arrested George Zimmerman, a man who has a history of violence.

We urge you to sign this petition to protect private citizens from gun violence and inept law enforcement. Florida's Attorney General Pam Bondi must step in and provide justice for Trayvon Martin, his family, and the community.
    17 year old Trayvon Martin was shot and killed while walking home from a convenience store on the evening of February 26th. The shooter, George Zimmerman, was the neighborhood watch captain. Zimmerman, a 200 pound 28 year old with a history of violence, claimed self defense although Trayvon Martin, with no criminal history, had nothing more than candy and an iced tea in his hands. George Zimmerman remains free.

NEW goal - We need 325,000 signatures
    There are currently 321,444 signatures
    Previous petition signers:
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Unfortunately one incident could ruin the castle doctrine for us here as we all know. The castle doctrine has some good intentions to it but needs to be used with responsibility. Man I just wish all CCP holders would visit this site to learn the actual responsibilities of carry. What that guy did was just plain stupid and makes us all look bad once again.
    .3O8junkie likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Agreed!

Facts? We don't need no stinkin' facts!

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I just heard the signatures are at 600,000 now. I don't believe, however, that any amount of signatures by persons not aware of all of the facts should have any bearing on prosecuting someone. Prosecution should be undertaken only after a thorough investigation, not by popular public opinion or political pressure.

I have my own opinions on the case, but they are just that, opinions. I wasn't there, and therefore don't know what is proper. That burden falls on the investigators, prosecutors, and grand jury.
    accessbob, archer51, OD* and 6 others like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

We all know the opponents of our second amendment rights will take every opportunity to see them revoked. Unfortunately, it seems to me, that these days spin and public opinion seem to hold more weight than facts. This incident serves as a reminder to be informed and act responsibly not only for ourselves and our loved ones but for those who have fought to secure our right to protect ourselves. The alternative simply provides an opening for our opponents which might result in everyone losing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I just heard the signatures are at 600,000 now. I don't believe, however, that any amount of signatures by persons not aware of all of the facts should have any bearing on prosecuting someone. Prosecution should be undertaken only after a thorough investigation, not by popular public opinion or political pressure.

I have my own opinions on the case, but they are just that, opinions. I wasn't there, and therefore don't know what is proper. That burden falls on the investigators, prosecutors, and grand jury.
    Facts and burden may have little bearing on the big picture. As the result of one mad mom who got the snowball rolling, we now have a BAC of .08 for DUI in all 50 states and the District. Any idea of what a Million Mom March would look like if a million people actually showed up?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    We all know the opponents of our second amendment rights will take every opportunity to see them revoked. Unfortunately, it seems to me, that these days spin and public opinion seem to hold more weight than facts. This incident serves as a reminder to be informed and act responsibly not only for ourselves and our loved ones but for those who have fought to secure our right to protect ourselves. The alternative simply provides an opening for our opponents which might result in everyone losing.
    If facts outweighed spin, cigarettes would have been outlawed around 1964, and marijuana would be the treatment of choice for a host of ailments.
    suntzu and Chevy-SS like this.
    William T. Sherman

Unfortunately the shooter in this case should not have been allowed to set foot near a firearm, let alone to carry one. My opinion it was a dirty shoot & I hope he does serious time on it.

The "stand your ground" law has been used by shooters like this one as a defense way too often and this application of that law is why we are getting screwed over. The law was not intended to be used for dirty shooters to hide behind but that seems to be the way it has been used more often than not.

The law needs to be amended to read that if you are a jack-wad you may not use this law as a defense.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

From what's been released by the media it does't look good for Zimmerman. For that matter this kind of thing does't look good for law abiding citizens who carry. Seems to me he's going to have a hard time claiming self defense. There are some people who just should't carry just like there are some people who should't drive. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Holder won't want to touch this case. He's afraid that Zimmermans 9mm will show up as one of the "Fast and Furious" guns.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member

I just refreshed the petition page, and it is currently showing 339,000 endorsers.
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    So much for believing the news! I also believe it is starting to look like you should never underestimate the ability of one individual to screw things up for everyone else.
    357and40 likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

VIP Member
    So much for believing the news! I also believe it is starting to look like you should never underestimate the ability of one individual to screw things up for everyone else.
    That is just one petition from one website, so there may well be others. This incident may very well screw things up for everyone. I personally try not to focus on the particulars of this case as much as the focus of the media and the groundswell of outrage it is generating nationwide.
    William T. Sherman

I guess the mob mentality works over the internet to. How about just put up a site where one can contribute to a hanging rope purchase. I think he is guilty as sin as he should have never got out of the car but I dont know all the facts and wonder if any of these folks know the facts or are just "hopping on". I am sure the young man didnt do anything to contribute to getting himself shot...or did he? I dont know.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Holder won't want to touch this case. He's afraid that Zimmermans 9mm will show up as one of the "Fast and Furious" guns.
    Come on. Give the politics and political side swipes a break.

The White House has said this is a local matter. It is. Until something more happens let's assume they mean that.

Meanwhile, as for the press and the hype-- anyone else old enough to remember or know about the Sam Sheppard case?
    All the nonsense being put out by both sides is destroying the chance of a fair trial for Zimmerman if he is ever charged.
    That's not right. I wish we had a way to just get everyone to keep it down a notch or three.
    Rock and Glock and phreddy like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links