My reaction to what appeared to be an attempted home invasion.

This is a discussion on My reaction to what appeared to be an attempted home invasion. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was sitting at my desk enjoying a single beer before bed while listening to some music. Suddenly I hear a knockknock-knock at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My reaction to what appeared to be an attempted home invasion.

My reaction to what appeared to be an attempted home invasion.

Last night I was sitting at my desk enjoying a single beer before bed while listening to some music. Suddenly I hear a knockknock-knock at my window and my girlfriend says "It's just the cat". I'm completely used to the cats being in the window sill, however I see no cat sitting on the window sill. Not one in front of the curtain or behind it all I see is an impression in the curtain and it's only moving forward (it looked like a head). At this point I'm angered at the thought of somebody thinking they can break into my house using my window (which I keep cracked cause it's hot in my bedroom). I grab my gun off the computer and pull the curtain to the side with every intention to shoot the BG trying to break into my house, only to see my cat Dr.Nuts hanging off of the top of the bottom window pain trying to pull himself up. Immediately I'm filled with relief because there was nobody there except for my stupid cat.

I was impressed with myself for that fact that I was in complete control the entire time. My thoughts were very clear. Having worked in Bail Enforcement and Armed security I have been under pressure multiple times, but never have I had a chance to see how I would react in a situation that was taking place in my own home. Even if there was no BG, the danger seemed all too real, and I was satisfied with my ability to think clearly in what at the time seemed like a threatening situation.

2. Remove Ads

A good reason they say guns and alcohol dont mix.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Dr. Nuts!!!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    At least you verified the threat and target before you pulled the trigger
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Give me a break.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Give me a break.
    Take a break.
    suntzu and kante like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Take a break.
    ok thanks

OP:
    i think you were prepared for what came your way. better to have your weapon and not need it, then to need it and not have it….
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Give me a break.
    Agreed!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    They sure don't. If I was having more than 24oz of beer I'd be sure to keep the guns secured and well out of reach.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    They sure don't. If I was having more than 24oz of beer I'd be sure to keep the guns secured and well out of reach.
    If you were drinking a 12 pack with your gun on your hip then I would call you reckless. There is nothing wrong with having a beer. I had a glass of wine earlier while my gun was 10 feet away. I supposed that was dangerous?

I think you handled the situation just fine. Be safe out there.
    jem102 likes this.

You're in your house - do whatever you want.

OK. So based on this if you had more than your arbitrary limit, and someone kicks in your door, you are now defenseless.

I have a right to have a few beers or whatever in the comfort and safety of my own home and defend myself, so my guns stay unlocked and in reach at all times.

Only exceptions are when we both leave the house or a friend is over with their kids.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

If you were drinking a 12 pack with your gun on your hip then I would call you reckless. There is nothing wrong with having a beer. I had a glass of wine earlier while my gun was 10 feet away. I supposed that was dangerous?

I think you handled the situation just fine. Be safe out there.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    You're in your house - do whatever you want.
    While that may be, just think of what could have happened if I was utterly drunk? I might have shot my cat, shot my neighbor, or shot what may have been a friend playing a joke or something. In Texas we have some very pro-gun laws and police who are generally pro 2A, but how could it possibly look good to an investigator seeing a room littered with cans and a dead BG that had been shot 2 times after my glock appears to have been fired at least 11 times?

I think that guns and booze can only end one way. That being bad.

Don't worry, the cat has 9 lives..... so, he now may have 8 left.

The good thing was ... as you said, you were prepared and assessed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    OK. So based on this if you had more than your arbitrary limit, and someone kicks in your door, you are now defenseless.

I have a right to have a few beers or whatever in the comfort and safety of my own home and defend myself, so my guns stay unlocked and in reach at all times.

Only exceptions are when we both leave the house or a friend is over with their kids.
    Negative.

At this moment I'm in college and I live with my father who is Retired Navy of 26 years, a majority of those years he spent on the Navy competitive shooting team, and my mother who is a former correctional officer. Both proficient in weapons usage. On top of that my girlfriend who lives with me is a competent shooter stays in my room where I'll hand her off a gun before I go to town on some beer. Needless to say, I don't drink home alone.

I feel as if 24oz is not the point where I'm intoxicated, but that I'll be likely to want to start throwing them back.
    Being a guy my age, I love to have myself a 24 pack day, a 12 pack night, or a bottle of liquor to have a good time every once in a while. But I'm gonna be as responsible and preventative as I can while doing an activity that can make somebody act more reckless than usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links