Things can abruptly change...

This is a discussion on Things can abruptly change... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been hit with Bell's palsy and it will be several weeks to a couple of months for it to resolve itself. Why I'm posting ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Rivers

Thread: Things can abruptly change...

Things can abruptly change...

I've been hit with Bell's palsy and it will be several weeks to a couple of months for it to resolve itself.

Why I'm posting about this is that I've decided to continue carrying even though its my right eye (dominant) thats affected. Having an eye patch really impacts my ability to aim. And with trifocals its even more clumsy.

What this means is that anything outside of a few yards is a no shoot situation at the moment. This also means a bit more SA to compensate if needed. I got out the shotty for the bedside as we all know its center of wall rather than COM.

Anyway, thought I would share how things can suddenly change and how we can always adapt, improvise, etc.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Good luck with the resolution. If you drive, be darn careful!

A man's gotta' do what a man's gotta' do.
    Even with some health problems, one may still have to defend self and family.
    I hope you heal quickly!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 22nd, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Please be careful and I hope you heal up real quick and get back to your old self soon.

Sorry to hear about your condition. A good friend, years ago, while in his 30's, was also afflicted with Bells Palsy. Over time, it eventually resolved itself. The doctor virtually guaranteed that his was brought on by stress. He eliminated the more stressful things in his life and voila...he began to improve and came full circle back to normal. He too had to adapt. You will work it out my friend. Stay positive.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I wish you the best of luck and if we are going to contuine this converstation I am standing over here. Over here. Keep looking, Almost got it.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Good luck on your recovery. Be safe!

time to trade in that 1911 icon for a glock one, you'll have a few more rounds that way.

I use to be able to shoot clay pigeons from a thrower with my G17, but then my vision went south after 18.

yup.

I hope everything works out for you. Stay safe....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post
    time to trade in that 1911 icon for a glock one, you'll have a few more rounds that way.

I use to be able to shoot clay pigeons from a thrower with my G17, but then my vision went south after 18.

yup.
    You used to shoot your pistol up in the air???

To the OP, best of luck!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Hoping on a quick recovery for you, stay safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Well, that don't look like fun.

Hope it goes away as fast as it came on.

Stay well rested, and hydrated, as that looks like it could be problematic if left unchecked.. Good luck.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You might look into a red dot aiming accessory like Crimson or Laserlyte. For the purist, for those who don't suffer any impairments, not necessary. In your case, that red dot aiming point can make a huge difference. And remember, contrary to suggestions of higher capacity, you DO own every bullet that leaves your gun. Make sure they go where intended.
    Olduser likes this.

Listen to your doctor, take your meds and give this issue a bit of time to heal.

My mother had Bells Palsy, too. It's kind of weird how it just affects half of your face. She went thru the process I lsuggest you follow and she recovered completely. I'm praying that you get the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    I've been hit with Bell's palsy and it will be several weeks to a couple of months for it to resolve itself.

Why I'm posting about this is that I've decided to continue carrying even though its my right eye (dominant) thats affected. Having an eye patch really impacts my ability to aim. And with trifocals its even more clumsy.

What this means is that anything outside of a few yards is a no shoot situation at the moment. This also means a bit more SA to compensate if needed. I got out the shotty for the bedside as we all know its center of wall rather than COM.

Anyway, thought I would share how things can suddenly change and how we can always adapt, improvise, etc.
    I had Bells palsy about 10 years ago. Funny thing is after it happened my vision improved. I no longer need glasses.

Links