Approached by two individuals.

This is a discussion on Approached by two individuals. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by xXxplosive Not talking out of a bag here...........have had two previous incidents over the years where a Model 36 has saved my ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Approached by two individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Not talking out of a bag here...........have had two previous incidents over the years where a Model 36 has saved my arse twice.....if you wish to chance yourself in the dark hours with two fellas walking towards you while the driver keeps the car.....good luck.
    Maybe you need some further training or maybe your one of those 'Quick Draw" guys....as for me if there was no threat.....answer questions at a distance......holster my concealed weapon and be on my way.
    Thanks for your concern. You are totaly misunderstanding the distances involved here that I am talking about. And I have enough training. But good luck with taking your gun out with me. I will be calling the cops. What gives you the expectation for me to obey your commands. What are you going to do if I continue toward you? Shoot?
    Last edited by suntzu; March 23rd, 2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: I can so many things going wrong with drawing a weapon w/o imminent threat. I might think you are a BG!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm always amazed at how frequently some folks are able to find trouble. I grew up in The Bronx,
    as Secret Spuk did to my understanding. Nothing ever happened. I rode the buses all over the city, and subways all over
    the city from the age of about 11. Nothing ever happened.

I rode on subways at all hours of
    the early morning--- when only mad men and dogs are supposed to be up. Nothing ever happened.

I think the worst thing I saw in The Subway was some idiot kid pour a cup of urine on a passenger through an open window, just as the train was leaving the station.

I've lived in large cities and small towns. Nothing much ever happened.

I realize that bad guys are going to find some of us, it is inevitable, but I really think there are folks who are magnets.

If you are not an LEO and have used your gun twice (displayed, removed from the holster, whatever) you probably
    live a very different life style than I do. And, there was a long time when I was poor and resided in poor neighborhoods-like until I was about 45.

Sure, I've encountered panhandlers and folks doing interviews, but it never ever came close to
    displaying. Maybe I lead a charmed life. Maybe some others are jinxed. I don't know.
    MadMac, Elk Hunter, ASSA9 and 1 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Try working the South District of Newark NJ for 20+ years...........you might come away with a different understanding....

Where you live may increase the chance of encounters with BG's. But a pre programmed response should not be ordering someone to stop and then drawing your weapon
    Hopyard and atctimmy like this.

I thank you all for the responses. When I saw the car stop and the two individuals got out and started walking briskly in my direction. I started to walk backwards and put my hand under my shirt and got a hold of the pistol handle. I did not pull the weapon out and they could not see the weapon but it was fairly obvious to anyone that I had a pistol. When I did this they immediately stop and stated they did not want any trouble. They went on to state they were looking for a fellow and wondered if I had seen him and gave a gesture as to how tall he was. I told them I had not seen the person and they turned around and left. The driver of the vehicle was watching the whole time. After it was over their story did not seem very plausible. They could have stop the car and ask if I had seen the person rather than two of them getting out of the vehicle and walking across the road to ask the question. They may have been up to not good, thinking I was a good target out alone at night or they could have been really looking for someone. In any event I feel my response was appropriate for the circumstance. I was glad that I was carrying that night, it is a nice feeling that you have a friend on the hip for security.
    Armey and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    You scared them off.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Its "SOP" for the BGs to have some kind of innocent-sounding "Tag-line" ("Got a light?"; "Is 'Joe' here? "Have you seen....") to use when their intended victim/target or other wittnesses interupt their crimes of intent/crime of opportunity. The purpose of the "Tag-Line" is to give a thin veneer of plausibility to their otherwise blatantly suspicious activity.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

The "Interview".............

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If you continue with that late night walking routine you may as well just go ahead and prepare for the inevitable.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I'd get a gym membership and use the tread mill/elliptical at night. But that's just me.
    atctimmy, ASSA9 and shockwave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    If you continue with that late night walking routine you may as well just go ahead and prepare for the inevitable.
    The reason that I walk so late is that I work all day and get home between 6-7:00 P.M., I then have supper, and spend time with the family. By that time it is 10:00 P.M. and I hit the road and walk my five miles. I do not live in a town known for having a great deal of criminal activity. But like everyplace else we have our share of low-life’s that do not believe in working and would rather illegally take from the productive people in our community. I know there is more risk walking late in the evening; I made the decision that no low-life is going to tell me I cannot walk the streets in my own town.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    The "Interview".............
    I must have missed something.??????

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    The reason that I walk so late is that I work all day and get home between 6-7:00 P.M., I then have supper, and spend time with the family. By that time it is 10:00 P.M. and I hit the road and walk my five miles. I do not live in a town known for having a great deal of criminal activity. But like everyplace else we have our share of low-life’s that do not believe in working and would rather illegally take from the productive people in our community. I know there is more risk walking late in the evening; I made the decision that no low-life is going to tell me I cannot walk the streets in my own town.
    Stay aware, stay safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Good luck. Would you be walking if you were not armed? If the answer is no, then you should not be walking.
    Trouble will find you.
    marcclarke and DC like this.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so many times i have had 'none events' cause i carry a j-frame in my left vest or in colder weather, jacket pocket. there is a divider in the pocket and the car keys do not touch the gun. but i am able to put my hand, casual like, in the pocket and be alpha like in appearance while similarly presenting a non-threating appearance. when 'they' sense that i am not a victim, leave is what they usually do.

two getting out of a car, as you describe --you do not recognize them or the car, would have me thinking about a doggie to walk with me and easier access to my gun.
    twice would have me rethinking time & place for a walk. while i do not want to give scum the power to have me thinking when & where i should do something--fact is, it is.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links