Approached by two individuals. - Page 3

Approached by two individuals.

This is a discussion on Approached by two individuals. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Good luck. Would you be walking if you were not armed? If the answer is no, then you should not be ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Approached by two individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Good luck. Would you be walking if you were not armed? If the answer is no, then you should not be walking.
    Trouble will find you.
    ???????Would that mean because I feel the need to carry when I leave my house I should not leave my house?????
    Would I go hiking in bear country if I were not armed? No. Does that mean I should not go hiking?
    jag7211 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ???????Would that mean because I feel the need to carry when I leave my house I should not leave my house?????
    Would I go hiking in bear country if I were not armed? No. Does that mean I should not go hiking?
    Twist twist twist. You know what it means. It means if there is a neighborhood you wouldn't walk in without a gun,
    you should not feel like it is safe to be there just because you are armed. Hiking in bear country is a considerably different
    story to say nothing of the fact that a j frame will be of minimal assistance.

A big part of staying safe is staying away from the trouble in the first place. If you think you can go where the trouble will find you because you happen to be armed, you'll end up like the guy in the thread that was just closed.

Don't look for it, and trouble probably won't likely find you. No guarantees of course, but it helps.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    It's difficult to gauge an incident such as this with so little information but generically ..............
    I'd stop while positioning myself strong side away from the approaching individuals with the dog between myself and them while keeping my gun hand in close proximity to my sidearm. I'd nod my head while saying a brief "Evening" and continuing to gauge body language and accessing the possible threat.
    That's it, dead on.

sgb
    Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    The "Interview".............
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I must have missed something.??????
    I believe he's talking about the interview stance also known as the fight or flight stance.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Get a big dog and that will normally be plenty of deterrent. I walk my two large dogs (Doberman and Rottie/mutt) and the three of us don't look like easy targets. I live in a great neighborhood but I still carry every day when I walk.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I believe he's talking about the interview stance also known as the fight or flight stance.
    The "interview" is what the criminal does to see if you're going to be his target.

Senior Moderator
    title changed due to Scenario Thread Titles

anyone approaches within 5 feet of my space gets a view of my gun. to hell with brandishing. Its code yellow immediately.
    I live close to the getto.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I thank you all for the responses. When I saw the car stop and the two individuals got out and started walking briskly in my direction. I started to walk backwards and put my hand under my shirt and got a hold of the pistol handle. I did not pull the weapon out and they could not see the weapon but it was fairly obvious to anyone that I had a pistol. When I did this they immediately stop and stated they did not want any trouble. They went on to state they were looking for a fellow and wondered if I had seen him and gave a gesture as to how tall he was. I told them I had not seen the person and they turned around and left. The driver of the vehicle was watching the whole time. After it was over their story did not seem very plausible. They could have stop the car and ask if I had seen the person rather than two of them getting out of the vehicle and walking across the road to ask the question. They may have been up to not good, thinking I was a good target out alone at night or they could have been really looking for someone. In any event I feel my response was appropriate for the circumstance. I was glad that I was carrying that night, it is a nice feeling that you have a friend on the hip for security.
    Good call!

VIP Member
    True, it doesn't take two guys to get out of the car to ask you if you've seen someone. I think you did good and trumped their plans.

I agree with getting your exercise in a different venue, the dog idea is good too.

Somehow slung shotgun under trench coat comes to mind as a deterrent. (J/K)
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    anyone approaches within 5 feet of my space gets a view of my gun. to hell with brandishing. Its code yellow immediately.
    I thought condition yellow was supposed to be the 24/7 state of mind. Do you mean orange or red instead?
    Gunga Galunga

Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    If you are going to start using terms try reading this:Jeff Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Brandishing when someone is within 5 feet of you....OK. I got my own views on someone that says that but like the mods always say:bite your tongue
    Kadelic likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    The "interview" is what the criminal does to see if you're going to be his target.
    Okayyyyyyyyyy ......... new one on me.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

It was 10:45 on a Friday night (I found Friday nights are the worst nights to walk, all the crazies are out on Friday nights) and was walking up a hill near the downtown area. A slow moving car passes me with three individuals in the car. The car pulls over and two of the individuals gets out of the car and crosses the road to where I was walking and walk straight over to me. The driver of the car remains in the car with the car still running. The two individuals that approach me are not badly dressed. One individual was a large individual and the other was about my stature. It is dark out and no one else is around. Did not see any obvious weapons in their hands, but felt is was odd that two individuals got out of their vehicle and cross the road and approach me and the third individual remained in the vehicle. How would you handle this situation?
    I would have crossed the street in a backward angle to see what they would do and also to place distance between all three. If they started to cross the street again and continued to approach, then I would look for a defensive position (like beside a parked car) to place cover between the two on foot and the driver in the car and trying to keep the three in front of me. Then I would take out my cell phone in my off hand and make it look like I'm calling (I wouldn't place a call yet because I'd want to keep my eyes on the three). If they continued to approach, then I'd verbally shout at them to stay away and that I called the police before they got within 6 strides of me. When at critical distance or if they split to flank me, gun will be drawn with thinking as to which to target first.

The reason that I walk so late is that I work all day and get home between 6-7:00 P.M., I then have supper, and spend time with the family. By that time it is 10:00 P.M. and I hit the road and walk my five miles. I do not live in a town known for having a great deal of criminal activity. But like everyplace else we have our share of low-life’s that do not believe in working and would rather illegally take from the productive people in our community. I know there is more risk walking late in the evening; I made the decision that no low-life is going to tell me I cannot walk the streets in my own town.
    You ought to give more thought to this. If you did not have the ability to legally carry, would you still take those late night walks? A five mile walk will take almost 1-1/2 hours so you will be out to 11:30pm. It also makes you out as possibly suspicious to LE unless they know you. Don't let carrying a gun subvert common sense. Being principled is noteworthy but think about it, even if you had to shoot someone in self defense or somehow got accused of brandishing/menacing/assault, you will probably be detained and have to hire a lawyer (probably around $25,000 retainer for homicide defense). It's going to stress not only yourself, but your family too. May want to think about taking morning walks instead.

However, if I were going to place myself in a high risk situation at night, I'd consider carrying a G32 .357Sig with laser sight (for night aiming/deterrent), at least two extra G31 mags, pepper spray, maybe a bright Surefire, and maybe even a BUG. I'd feel undergunned with a subcompact late at night on foot and potentially against multiple assailants/cars. But I avoid placing myself in those type of situations and a J-frame is really all I need for my normal every day routine.

I walk back and forth to work thru a downtown area know for it's high crime rate, sometimes at very odd hours. If an incident similar to yours occurred on my walk I would first be sure my weapon was clear to draw, much as you did. I also make a point to directly address anyone approaching who seems to be possible threat just to let them know I am well aware of them. "Good evening gentlemen..." would do the trick for multiple threats. No sense being rude to someone just because you might have to shoot them.

You handled yourself well and made it obvious to those folks that they should go find someone who wasn't prepared to meet force with force. Good job.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links