Approached by two individuals.

This is a discussion on Approached by two individuals. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I walk five mile every night around my town and I do carry a subcompact HK in a holster inside my waistband. I have had ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Approached by two individuals.

I walk five mile every night around my town and I do carry a subcompact HK in a holster inside my waistband. I have had two incidents in the last year where I felt the individuals or individuals were up to no good. Both incidents turned out well. I will tell you all about the first incident and see how you would have reaction and I will post later what I had done.
    It was 10:45 on a Friday night (I found Friday nights are the worst nights to walk, all the crazies are out on Friday nights) and was walking up a hill near the downtown area. A slow moving car passes me with three individuals in the car. The car pulls over and two of the individuals gets out of the car and crosses the road to where I was walking and walk straight over to me. The driver of the car remains in the car with the car still running. The two individuals that approach me are not badly dressed. One individual was a large individual and the other was about my stature. It is dark out and no one else is around. Did not see any obvious weapons in their hands, but felt is was odd that two individuals got out of their vehicle and cross the road and approach me and the third individual remained in the vehicle. How would you handle this situation?

I would make a note to myself about walking 5 miles alone at night.

I don't know what I would do until it happens, but my gut tells me to put my hand on my gun and tell those guys to stop.
    Hopyard and atctimmy like this.

I would also be walking 5 miles at night with a walking stick and peper spray. In case I was attacked by animals two and four legs.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Would have ordered them to stop while concealing my gun in hand at my side out of view.....

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    First, cross the road to the side they came from, if the follow politly ask them what they are up to. If possible it would be nice to have a car or something we can play ring-around-the-rosie. They follow or split-up to corner you, you know they are up to no good. The idea is to get them to commit before they can touch you. Escalate in steps, hoping you do not have to draw and shot. If announce you have a gun or show them a gun, call 911 and report it. Walking stick and pepper spray are a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Would have ordered them to stop while concealing my gun in hand at my side out of view.....
    I know what you are saying but I don't like the word "ordered". Some folks just get plain antsy when told to do something that you can not leagly tell them to do. What happens of they do not stop? They have a right to approach you. They can do about anything except impede your progress (you know what I mean). Without seeing the road and situation I can imagine folks being lost and one pulling over and having someone go ask directions. And, if it is in a bad part of town, I can see two guys doing it, not one. Just saying.

If my antennae start twitching I ask from a conforting distance "can I help you? or something to that affect. From thre you can start judging the situation better. The whole time having my SA kick into high gear and having the option of drawing if need be. But this way I can control the distance in a friendly manner. If they do not answer and start and continue approaching then things will change every step they close the distance.
    But I for one do not like to be ordered to do anything.
    shockwave and shocker51 like this.

By the time it takes you to do all that......they would have been on you.....as soon as you percieve the threat....the gun goes into the hand.....no BG is going to report you to LE for Brandishing.....and they have already displayed a threatening posture.....by the little we're being told......10:45PM Dark Out and alone.....you bet I'm ordering them to halt.

No threat.....answer question.......holster your weapon and be on you way.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

"How ya doin' ?"

Realistically, I'm with the others when it comes to believing there have to be better choices as to when and where to take my nightly stroll, that being said, once they exit the vehicle and approach you're kind of locked in to riding the encounter out and the direction it takes is mostly up to them, unless you're of the "shoot first, ask questions later" mindset. Maybe they just need directions, maybe they're thugs looking for your wallet or to thrash you because you're wearing a ball cap and they're fedora guys. No way to know until they tip their hand. Be ready to meet whatever comes, but don't kill a couple of young out-of-town guys for looking for the "hot" club or the way back to the interstate. First choice...alter my walking habits to limit the problem.
    shocker51 likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

get a tread mill and head phones

did they have hoodies and skiddles?
    ASSA9 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    By the time it takes you to do all that......they would have been on you.....as soon as you percieve the threat....the gun goes into the hand.....no BG is going to report you to LE for Brandishing.....and they have already displayed a threatening posture.....by the little we're being told......10:45PM Dark Out and alone.....you bet I'm ordering them to halt.

No threat.....answer question.......holster your weapon and be on you way.
    Do all of what? It takes as long to say "can I help you" as it does to say "stop". And you are right, a bad guy might not report you to LE for brandishing a weapon. I sure the heck would. And you think brandishing your weapon is proper if someone is not obeying your commands? Get real. What threatening posture? the fact they continue and blow you off?

Scan for quick exits and other potential attackers, move to place myself between them and my best exit. Meet their eyes and ask if I can help them. Move my hand not in a threatening manner, but to where I can quickly and easily access a weapon.
    jag7211 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Not talking out of a bag here...........have had two previous incidents over the years where a Model 36 has saved my arse twice.....if you wish to chance yourself in the dark hours with two fellas walking towards you while the driver keeps the car.....good luck.
    Maybe you need some further training or maybe your one of those 'Quick Draw" guys....as for me if there was no threat.....answer questions at a distance......holster my concealed weapon and be on my way.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I walk five mile every night around my town and I do carry a subcompact HK in a holster inside my waistband. I have had two incidents in the last year where I felt the individuals or individuals were up to no good. Both incidents turned out well. I will tell you all about the first incident and see how you would have reaction and I will post later what I had done.
    It was 10:45 on a Friday night (I found Friday nights are the worst nights to walk, all the crazies are out on Friday nights) and was walking up a hill near the downtown area. A slow moving car passes me with three individuals in the car. The car pulls over and two of the individuals gets out of the car and crosses the road to where I was walking and walk straight over to me. The driver of the car remains in the car with the car still running. The two individuals that approach me are not badly dressed. One individual was a large individual and the other was about my stature. It is dark out and no one else is around. Did not see any obvious weapons in their hands, but felt is was odd that two individuals got out of their vehicle and cross the road and approach me and the third individual remained in the vehicle. How would you handle this situation?
    It's difficult to gauge an incident such as this with so little information but generically ..............
    I'd stop while positioning myself strong side away from the approaching individuals with the dog between myself and them while keeping my gun hand in close proximity to my sidearm. I'd nod my head while saying a brief "Evening" and continuing to gauge body language and accessing the possible threat.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Why do I get the feeling key elements of the situation have been omitted?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Did they ever tell you what they wanted; "where's Olive Garden?"
    Two getting out in my opinion is concerning. That immediately creates a disparity of force,
    an ability, and an opportunity. There's no telling from your story if there was jeopardy or intent.
    Apparently not as you are still here to talk with us.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links