Almost drew on the Kirby salesman

This is a discussion on Almost drew on the Kirby salesman within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The day of the door to door salesman is over....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Almost drew on the Kirby salesman

sgb
    The day of the door to door salesman is over.
    MadMac likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Somethings I think people are are overly defensive oriented. I read a lot of posts along the lines of

"SA failed me - Girl scout walked right up behind and offered cookies - what if it had been a thief with a knife!!!??" or
    "Almost drew on water meter reader!"
    "Dog barked at night and I unlocked my 1911 - turned out dog just had to go outside and pee!"

A defensive mindset doesn't mean thinking that everyone that surprises you is trying to rob or kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Pepper spray. Don't let anyone into your personal space uninvited. If they do (somehow) intrude into your personal space don't let them stay there. I'm not saying you should have hosed him down immediately; rather, that you should have ordered him to stop, back off, and warned him that you would hose him down with pepper spray if he did not comply. Hold up your off-hand (the one with out the pepper spray in it), shout "Stop! Back off!", and have the pepper spray ready for use.

Never let anyone run at you. That is the prelude to a Blitz attack.
    What kept me from going 'full tilt' was that they were very well dressed and and had these goofy smiles on their faces. My gut told me they were not a threat, but I was ready if they were.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Sales can be a tough job. At least he was trying to earn an "honest" living. I don't know what the Glade represented, but I suspect he was trying to impress his boss in the van with his aggressiveness.

Probably to throw you off-guard, that way he can go back to the van and get the vacuum cleaner.
    If you see him lugging the damn thing out of the van, and shleppping it up the walk, you and everyone else already has the door closed.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I feel bad for those guys. Being that excited about a vacuum that weighs over 75 pounds cant be easy. A guys gotta put food on the table one way or another...peddling suction powered anvils works even if its not glamorous.
    I hate salesmen!! I would hate being one!! I'll just stick with the job of collecting cans on the side of the interstate and turning them in to the recycle center... or selling my blood plasma...

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Somethings I think people are are overly defensive oriented. I read a lot of posts along the lines of

"SA failed me - Girl scout walked right up behind and offered cookies - what if it had been a thief with a knife!!!??" or
    "Almost drew on water meter reader!"
    "Dog barked at night and I unlocked my 1911 - turned out dog just had to go outside and pee!"

A defensive mindset doesn't mean thinking that everyone that surprises you is trying to rob or kill you.
    Good post.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    After three hours of intense yardwork, I go over to my rental house [next door] to pick-up some chairs - I'm totally pooped...

All of a sudden an old mini-van pulls up and a guy, followed by a young woman, comes running at me as I'm in the doorway ready to lock the house up. I notice he has a round cylinder in his hand [pepper spray?]...

I'm ready to pull out the .45 when at the last minute he holds the cylinder up and I see it's a can of Glade and he says, 'Sir can I talk to you?'

he hands me the can of Glade and tells me to wait and runs back to the van. I then notice a big dude sitting in the van watching everything...

I'm still on alert and I'm scanning everyone and still keeping my gun hand free and clear. Then he comes running back to me with the Kirby vacuum. Now he starts his pitch, in my personal space, and won't leave...

Finally, after he stops begging, he goes. The other people were just trainees.

Not a very good way to approach folks IMO - stopping suddenly and jumping out of a van and running at someone with something in your hand - not too smart...

What Say You?
    Holy smokes!!

I'm a Electra Lux type of guy myself. Then again, I still have hundreds of FULLER brushes, Raleigh products, Vick's inhalers, and plenty of Mercurochrome with the glass applicator.

Answer the door either in the buff, or wearing ritulistic robes and they'll leave you alone. Trust me on this. Same goes for being polite and keeping them in conversation for 4 hours on the errors in an Watchtower article on the origin of God's name. :-) .
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 2nd, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Deleted religous perjoratives
    mano3 likes this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

I didn't know Kirby still had door to door salesman.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

VIP Member
    Two of my friends and I drew on a passed-out drunk once. Mustache, bushy eye-brows, goatee.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links