Almost drew on the Kirby salesman

This is a discussion on Almost drew on the Kirby salesman within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After three hours of intense yardwork, I go over to my rental house [next door] to pick-up some chairs - I'm totally pooped... All of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Almost drew on the Kirby salesman

After three hours of intense yardwork, I go over to my rental house [next door] to pick-up some chairs - I'm totally pooped...

All of a sudden an old mini-van pulls up and a guy, followed by a young woman, comes running at me as I'm in the doorway ready to lock the house up. I notice he has a round cylinder in his hand [pepper spray?]...

I'm ready to pull out the .45 when at the last minute he holds the cylinder up and I see it's a can of Glade and he says, 'Sir can I talk to you?'

he hands me the can of Glade and tells me to wait and runs back to the van. I then notice a big dude sitting in the van watching everything...

I'm still on alert and I'm scanning everyone and still keeping my gun hand free and clear. Then he comes running back to me with the Kirby vacuum. Now he starts his pitch, in my personal space, and won't leave...

Finally, after he stops begging, he goes. The other people were just trainees.

Not a very good way to approach folks IMO - stopping suddenly and jumping out of a van and running at someone with something in your hand - not too smart...

What Say You?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think that you should have drawn down on him.....then he would have a chance to demonstrate how good the Kirby vacuum cleaner works on human re-cycled waste food products
    mano3 and Sledge like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Had one vacuum my entire house once... Didn't by the vacuum.
    atctimmy, MleeC and Spidey2011 like this.

Pepper spray. Don't let anyone into your personal space uninvited. If they do (somehow) intrude into your personal space don't let them stay there. I'm not saying you should have hosed him down immediately; rather, that you should have ordered him to stop, back off, and warned him that you would hose him down with pepper spray if he did not comply. Hold up your off-hand (the one with out the pepper spray in it), shout "Stop! Back off!", and have the pepper spray ready for use.

Never let anyone run at you. That is the prelude to a Blitz attack.

Call Kirby central and complain bitterly. Get their Snail Mail address and send a written complaint.

This from a very (!) satisfied long-time Kirby owner and customer.
    mano3 likes this.

I don't take kindly to being "run at" be strangers. This will not set the stage for you to make a sales presentation successfully.

"Son which part of GET BACK AND GO AWAY AND YOU ARE TRESPASSING is not clear." while dialing 911.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I feel bad for those guys. Being that excited about a vacuum that weighs over 75 pounds cant be easy. A guys gotta put food on the table one way or another...peddling suction powered anvils works even if its not glamorous.

Well, that would have been one way to get him to end his sales pitch early....
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I feel bad for those guys. Being that excited about a vacuum that weighs over 75 pounds cant be easy. A guys gotta put food on the table one way or another...peddling suction powered anvils works even if its not glamorous.
    It doesn't work very well. These guys work 60+ hours a week, and are lucky to get $300. Oh, and they hire anybody. A lot of Kirby salesman are just people trying to earn an honest living, but I certainly wouldn't let one in my home.

Oh man did I howl when I read the title of this thread.
    mano3 likes this.

Answered the door for Schwans a few weeks back. And after I told him I wasn't interested, kid said "Well since you're packing heat I won't press you any further. Are you a cop?" .. "Nope. Just carrying that way today. Thanks guys."
    mano3 likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Just think, you maybe could have given Zimmerman a little breather.
    Chandne and Inspector71 like this.

VIP Member
    Sales can be a tough job. At least he was trying to earn an "honest" living. I don't know what the Glade represented, but I suspect he was trying to impress his boss in the van with his aggressiveness.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    Answered the door for Schwans a few weeks back. And after I told him I wasn't interested, kid said "Well since you're packing heat I won't press you any further. Are you a cop?" .. "Nope. Just carrying that way today. Thanks guys."
    And don't give out personal information to strangers. The reply should have been, "Goodbye".
    MadMac likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I was done with him the minute he tried handing me anything - get the hell off my property.

That was a lame (but successful) test to see if you were open to having your time wasted. I've had situations where salespeople standing on my front step, disobeying my eventual orders to leave, tried to test me by telling me "there's no reason to be unpleasant" while still attempting to engage me in 'conversation'. Mr. Niceguy goes out the window after the 2nd pleasant request to leave is ignored. Mr. Irritated speaks much louder & eventually uses expletives.

And by the way, I've tried the Kirby sales route before...that is a tough row to hoe. It's a very good vacuum, but way overpriced IMO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I hope you nicely explained to the guy before he left, that what he did was not a wise thing to do ... and that it could lead to him having problems he doesn't want.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links