Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid? - Page 2

Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

This is a discussion on Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great post glad it all worked out, in all likelihood nothing was going to happen but reacting as you did is definitely not a bad ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

Great post glad it all worked out, in all likelihood nothing was going to happen but reacting as you did is definitely not a bad thing. Do not get drawn in by the people that will question you for stating the races of the individuals you saw. You are giving a description of the scene and the players, if they were black they were black, if they were green then they were green. That statement is not a sign of racism and people should not always jump to the conclusion that it is, for all we know you are black and your wife is hispanic with adopted Chinese children. Who cares...unless there is an obvious bias displayed through certain words and names we all know and can imply why is race the first thing some people jump to?

Before I get hammered I am directing this at anyone specifically just a general statement about society in general that a person is made to feel the need to justify a simple description.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    What was the plate number on the car?

Come on you sat there that long thinking they were up to no good, as a good witness you had to write down the number so you could tell police.
    Who cares, since, if they really were bad guys, it was probably stolen anyway?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    When you saw your wife inside, did you mention to her your concerns right away, so that she might be ready should something go down?
    Didn't get a chance to tell her. They were closing the security screen on the counter as I walked up. Other than that the only entrance to the pharmacy is through a code-locked door right next to it. I was standing about four feet away from that. She came out the door at one point and handed me her bag and keys and I asked her if she remembered the older gentleman. She read enough into it to figure out that I was alert to something, but they were scrambling to figure out the computer/register issue so I didn't want to hold her too long. You can't see through the security screen, but it doesn't block much sound. Had anything happened I'd have been able to warn them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Who cares, since, if they really were bad guys, it was probably stolen anyway?
    Well, had I gotten it, even if it was stolen it would at least allow them to tie two crimes together to get a bigger picture.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I would have paid close attention to that too. I wouldn't have considered it normal behaviour either and would have probably reacted just as you did.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Pharmacies nowadays are not a place to take lightly.

I like this guy's take on them:

http://streetsurv.files.wordpress.co...pharmacies.pdf
    Rotorblade likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    A 911 cannot hurt, if nothing else, for a quick visit and/or drive by. I have been told by Chief many times where I live--call us--regardless of circumstance--if there is an inkling of a proble--you or others--call us--that is what we are here for. Maybe I did not read the thread that carefully, but I would have called 911 and certainly got a car license if nothing else. Running around maybe with a firearm--no way--ask Zimmerman.

Kel, I try not to call 911 unless there's something solid to check out. I understand that's not always the best thing, but I'd hate to have the cops stop me on the street just because someone said I look suspicious, so as high alert as I was on I didn't have any proof to hand over. All I had was my intuition. While I trust my intuition highly, the cops may not appreciate it as much. Also, if my intuitions turned out to be correct, that call to the police could have taken precious moments and minutes that I, right there and ready to protect my wife, could have used to change the outcome for the better.

Still, something to keep in mind for the future.

As far as Zimmerman, I'd prefer that not be brought up here as the mods have asked that we leave that topic alone for now. Suffice to say it's not the same situation or principle.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Hey I thought you did a good job, the only reason I gave you a poke about the plate number is because I think we all need to be good witnesses. In Colorado we have plates on both ends, BTW the guy that was robbing the Walgrens in Colorado Springs was driving his own car.

Your post is a good example why many of us (me anyway) started carrying, so we could protect ourselves and loved ones.

Ah, in OK we only have plates on the back.
    My blog

From the behavior you described, to me, it sounds like you were witnessing a professional shop-lifting ring in action. Some rings send in one person to remove the RFID tags and stage the 'item' to be stolen elsewhere in the store; later someone else comes along and pockets it...

Yeah, the innocent old man went in first...

Next, the younger guys that can run and fight if need be go in for the retrieval while the 'get-away' vehicle is repositioned for flight....
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Not necessarily condition red, a serious orange though. I was alerted to something and acted upon my suspicions. Might have worded that poorly. I didn't draw or handle the gun at all, but it definitely got my heart pounding. Being black had nothing to do with it, that was just me stating facts. It was more the fact that they looked like thugs. There are plenty of those in this area; white, black, hispanic, indian. I couldn't care less about skin color, but I'll openly admit that I profile based on attire and demeanor. Still, the attire alone wouldn't have set me off, because the store being in the area that it is gets a lot of those folks. Thugs get colds too. It was the combination of their attire, their separate trips inside and the repositioning of the vehicle.

Bold part: not quite.

Couldn't tell you the plate number, but I could tell you there's a camera that saw it. I didn't catch the plate because I didn't start suspecting anything until they were already backing out to change positions and it was out of view. Once I was going in I'd have had to go out of my way to get a look at it, and I was more concerned with getting inside. I suppose I could keep a pad and pen in my Jeep and write down tags when I find myself sitting around like that. Something to keep in mind.
    When I have had reason to perhaps want to know a plate # later, I take a pic with my phone. It has become my new short-term memory.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I think you did very well in assessing a potentially dangerous situation. If criminals all had a big sign splattered on them saying "hey y'all, I'm an armed robber!" that would make it so much easier to identify them, but seriously, they don't.

The drug dealers who got busted in the garage appartment across the alley from me didn't look like the "usual" drug dealers, but turns out, they were. I was suspicious of them, not because of their looks per se, but due to their suspicious actions. That's how I was certain they were dealers. I almost called the police tip line but someone else did it and they got caught.

Sometimes we have to "profile" people because they do certain things and act a certain way when they are about to commit a crime. It is called Modus Operandi by the cops.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; March 27th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Thumbs up

You sir where justified. You acted accordingly and like that of any other reasonable person in your same situation. I'm glad that everything turned out for the best! Thanks for sharing ! If my fiancée had been inside I would have been more than "paranoid" .
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

We lost the battle when we over look things that don’t look right to us and don’t give in a second or even a third look. Can things be handled any better; sure if we have more time to think about it but we don’t so all we can do is what comes to us first and that is what you did.

No one got hurt and you being there might have changed something; no saying what but something. If anything it is a lesson in how things can play out and we all can take a deep look and say “ what would I have done”

just a quick note if it was mine (woman ,kid,GF) I would have done the same thing. to live with the thought I could have made a difference and didn't would haunt me

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Good work. Whether something was actually going on or not doesn't matter in the big picture. You thought you saw suspicious people in the place your wife was working and made sure they didn't do anything. A whole lot better than sitting in the car doing nothing.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links