Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid? - Page 3

Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

This is a discussion on Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude When I have had reason to perhaps want to know a plate # later, I take a pic with my phone. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    When I have had reason to perhaps want to know a plate # later, I take a pic with my phone. It has become my new short-term memory.
    Not to be morbid, but provided the LEOs look at your pic files, they can get a clue about your demise. Sorta like an LEO touching your car as he approaches, leaving his fingerprints.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If they were over by the cleaning supplies I'd be willing to bet it was drug related, one goes in to buy the pseudoephedrine, one the drain cleaner, one the chore boy copper scouring pads.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

It's often been said that "Paranoia is the body's way of supplying more situational awareness"

Especially since your wife works at a pharmacy.

Stay safe and shoot straight Brother !!
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In my experience, if you are looking like, walking like and quacking like a duck there is a very good chance that you ain't the bluebird of happiness. Profiling is a necessary tool for keeping yourself safe.
    Profiling is necessary, political correctness will get you killed.
    MleeC, accessbob and mook012 like this.

If in same situation I think my witnessing viewpoint would differ a bit because I would have already been inside and near her area. I don't need to see the potential danger first. They're going to find me in the way from the get go. I felt protective of her long before any gun came into the mix.

It could be that your presence inside might have been enough for the scouting mission to have moved on? I know I have been looked at and sized up by guys that turn around and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Not to be morbid, but provided the LEOs look at your pic files, they can get a clue about your demise. Sorta like an LEO touching your car as he approaches, leaving his fingerprints.
    Lol- never met an EMT that wasn't morbid.

OP- Good job. No consequences, no regrets.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Just because you are paranoid, doesnt mean they were NOT OUT TO GET YOU. Dont believe in coincidences, ever. I like the cautious approach, but no doubt something was funky and worth being prepared.

-Sincerely, the boyscout.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Kel, I try not to call 911 unless there's something solid to check out. I understand that's not always the best thing, but I'd hate to have the cops stop me on the street just because someone said I look suspicious, so as high alert as I was on I didn't have any proof to hand over. All I had was my intuition. While I trust my intuition highly, the cops may not appreciate it as much. Also, if my intuitions turned out to be correct, that call to the police could have taken precious moments and minutes that I, right there and ready to protect my wife, could have used to change the outcome for the better.

Still, something to keep in mind for the future.
    First, glad that nothing came of it. However, something to consider....

When I was on the streets, getting calls about suspicious persons was not uncommon. It was even a call type. I have a different mindset around this. A LEO has the authority to detain and identify someone to investigate the call. Even if nothing happened in your case, there could be some on-going investigations where at least identifying the people involved could have been the break the cops were looking for.

We sometimes get hung-up on whether or not we waste a LEO's time or do something that could be seen as impolite. If something doesn't fit, then suspicions are not unfounded.

To make the point, I'll provide a real example from my time on the streets. I got a call about a suspicious guy in a white van cruising a neighborhood. I finally find him and pull him over. The call gave me the reason to make contact. I identify him, don't find anything wrong at the time, and cut him loose. After the fact, calls come in about a guy in white van offering kids money to get in the van and perform sex acts. The guy was a sexual predator that we didn't know about yet. After the calls came in, we had him in the location at the time of the offenses and identified. All of this because someone picked up the phone and said there was a suspicious van in the area. Many of the calls like that were nothing, but to get a guy like that off the streets in that one case was worth all of the nothing calls.

Something to keep in mind. Your call could be the reason for the LEO to make contact and identify an offender. Or, it could be nothing. Let the LEO determine which it is.
    NH_Esau likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Black, white, red, or green, what they were doing was odd to say the least. You made a judgement call with a focus on your loved one's safety.

As far as getting the plate number for possible witness detail later, it's pretty easy to wander around with a phone to your ear & occasionally holding it in front if you as if checking something...while really just snapping photos as you manuver the camera's lense. A mobile phone is just another tool, & practice makes perfect!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I have posted this incedent on a couple of sites, following.

My personal vehicle is a Jeep, marked with my Sons Company, Security Company.

My Wife was shopping in Sandlakes Publix Grocery Store, me, who hates shopping, reading Library Book, in Parking Lot.

Call from Pauline, "Two baggy Pants Youth's are following me, no cart, or baskets.

I moved up to the drive under place, cover for rain, parked, got out parked myself at the rear of Jeep.

Told my Wife to walk at normal speed till she reached the out door, then hurry a bit, peel out to the right, go a few yards, and stop against the wall, looking to her rear, simple enough.

Me facing the door, they came out, smiling, the one on my right, hit his buddys arm, both fixed their eyes on me, and the vehicle, took off across the parking lot, and then to the street!

They had no vehicle, but my Wife did. I had two man sized targets at 7m, no weapons visable, it would have been loud! I do not think my 147g WW Rangers would have penetrated, 10" is the average.

And 16 rounds in my Glock 19 should have been enough! Have thought, and re thought it! Close!

Talked to the Manager, he said he noticed them, but has not seen them since.

Closest I have been since moving to Florida. Quite the adrenalin rush. My Wife of twenty years, sused them out. Share

Good for you to go on "full red alert".
    Pharmacy robberies happen all the time and are only getting more common.

HCSO: Former DPS commander shoots, kills armed robber during pharmacy heist in north Harris County | abc13.com

I have posted about a similar High alert situation. Our spidey senses kick off for a reason. You took in information that would lead a reasonable individual to feel that "something" could be awry. Without going into details, this has happened to me plenty of times. You are definitely NOT paranoid. Keep your SA up!
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

i agree that you did the right thing...nothing happened and you might have been the reason for that...well done...

as for Pharmacies, they are just like banks to these druggies...why rob someone so you can buy drugs when you can just go to the pharmacy and get all you need...

there are always some shady characters around the pharmacys

Speaking of this problem I had to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago. Went to my local pharmacy since I hate the box stores and found a gun buster sign. I had come from a ball game at the school so I was not carrying and went in. I know this place has been robbed several times in the last couple years and I know the owner/pharmacist. I asked why the sign, he said he wanted to protect his customers and employees. I asked if he thought the sign would stop the criminals from coming in or just encourage them as they know nobody else is armed. After the standard answers I got my order and informed him that I could not come back as I do not feel safe in his establishment unarmed. He was shocked that I carried and was dumbfounded that I would not come back.
    NH_Esau, Miketrance and accessbob like this.

"I got my order and informed him that I could not come back"

That's excellent.
    Gotta love it when people vote with their wallets. Just makes it all that more real to the anti-gunnies.
    Good for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links