Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid? - Page 4

Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

This is a discussion on Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doubledown Speaking of this problem I had to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago. Went to my local pharmacy since ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Speaking of this problem I had to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago. Went to my local pharmacy since I hate the box stores and found a gun buster sign. I had come from a ball game at the school so I was not carrying and went in. I know this place has been robbed several times in the last couple years and I know the owner/pharmacist. I asked why the sign, he said he wanted to protect his customers and employees. I asked if he thought the sign would stop the criminals from coming in or just encourage them as they know nobody else is armed. After the standard answers I got my order and informed him that I could not come back as I do not feel safe in his establishment unarmed. He was shocked that I carried and was dumbfounded that I would not come back.
    Don't forget about the additional liability the business assumes by forbidding conceal carry in WI. Our CC law says that if a business doesn't allow conceal carry they are responsible for anything that happens because of that decision. If I, a CC permit holder, was in a gun free business and it got shot up I could sue that business for not allowing me to protect myself. I would win.

Until there is case law on the books here that is only an assumption. The law says that a business cannot be held liable if they do not post but it does not say that they are liable if they do. I know it seems to make sense but to lawyers the law only says what is written not implied. I have spoken to many lawyers about this very topic and the they are split on the meaning, surprise surprise the split also seems to follow the specialty of the lawyer. Injury type lawyers think they can win and hold the business liable but business and defense lawyers feel the opposite. Until a case or two get through the system for judges to interpret it will remain a grey area. I hope none of us are involved in the test case.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Until there is case law on the books here that is only an assumption. The law says that a business cannot be held liable if they do not post but it does not say that they are liable if they do. I know it seems to make sense but to lawyers the law only says what is written not implied. I have spoken to many lawyers about this very topic and the they are split on the meaning, surprise surprise the split also seems to follow the specialty of the lawyer. Injury type lawyers think they can win and hold the business liable but business and defense lawyers feel the opposite. Until a case or two get through the system for judges to interpret it will remain a grey area. I hope none of us are involved in the test case.
    You are correct, the law doesn't explicitly say that they can be held liable. I could guaranty that if something were to happen, and I as a CC or my family member was injured as a result of not having my weapon my chances are great of a large sum judgement. I think in order to win, you have to show that you were licensed and regularly carry and the only thing prohibiting you was the place of business's policy. It's no different than anything else, if your kid is playing on the playground of McD's and it collapses, you will win your suit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links