Defensive Carry banner

Full red alert while picking wife up from work: justified or paranoid?

6K views 47 replies 36 participants last post by  Miketrance 
#1 ·
The backstory:

My wife works in the pharmacy of a CVS/Walgreens/Eckerd-type place as an intern pharmacist. She graduates in May and will take her state boards shortly thereafter to be a full-fledged pharmacist. She rarely works in the retail pharmacy as most of her time is taken up by her clinical rotations for school, but when she does work there she carries. She carries quite often when we're out together and self-defense is just about as important to her as it is to me. She's a good shooter and has the mindset to defend herself if necessary.

Yesterday (Sunday) she worked 10-5, after which we were going to head to a church function. Because of the trip to church, it was easier and faster for me to pick her up and pick her car up on the way back. So I pull the Jeep in the parking lot and back into a space so I'm facing the store door and the sun isn't shining directly on me. I was a little early and knew I would have to wait a bit, so I was people-watching. Got annoyed at a few people for parking in handicap spots who obviously weren't handicapped, spotted a few people who I'm sure were there for Sudafed to make meth.

The setup:

The store's door is one where they sort of cut off the corner of the building and set the door there so it faces at a diagonal from each adjacent wall, if that's clear at all. Like this. From where that picture was taken, I'd have been off-camera to the left, a little too far left to see down the right side of the building. This particular store is in a not-so-nice part of town. The closest I've ever come to pepper-spraying an individual was nearby.

The situation:

After I've sat for a few minutes, a black, mid-2000s Jeep SUV pulls into the parking lot and pulls forward into a spot across and a spot left from me. So adjacent to the building. Late 30's to early 40's Caucasian woman at the wheel, two late 20's to early 30's black passengers, one in the front passenger seat wearing a doo-rag, the other in back, and an older black passenger, probably late 40's also in the back. The older gentleman, wearing dark pants and a white t-shirt, enters the store and spends several minutes inside. I didn't think much about the group until he came out of the store. He gets back in the vehicle and the two other black passengers exit, doo-rag-man wearing a very large, baggy red shirt.

I find it a bit odd that they wouldn't have just saved time and done their business at once. Makes me curious and intent on watching them. What happens next is what makes me nervous. Immediately after they hit the sidewalk and are still on their way to the door, the female driver backs the vehicle out and does a 3-point turn, backing the vehicle into the same spot. I back in either when I want to be watching in a certain direction, or when I think it'll be easier to get out when I'm done. The sun was shining from the right side of the picture I linked to, so backing in would have made the sun worse for the driver, not better, if that was the goal.

Under other circumstances I'd have probably gotten my phone out and been ready to call the cops and relay details if it looked like anything went down. I'm no hero. But my wife was in there. Right about this time they were starting to close down the pharmacy and count down registers. Any robber who did their homework would know that. I may not be Batman, but if there really is something going down I'm there and the cops aren't. And anything that involves my wife involves me. Two possible scenarios hit me. One: that they could be making separate purchases of things that would raise suspicion if bought together. Second, that the first person cased the place, and the other two could be robbing it.

The second possibility hit me like a ton of bricks and I went into full-on red-alert. I waited about 15-20 seconds after they went through the doors, locked the Jeep, pocketed my phone and made my way inside, fully aware of and resigned to the possibility of having to shoot someone to protect my wife. Walked past the registers, where I couldn't see the two, and continued about halfway down the West side. Cut through the middle of the building and glanced down each aisle. Spotted them on the hardware/household chemicals aisle. Continued to the pharmacy area and planted myself firmly there right as they were closing the security screen over the counter. She handed me her bag and keys and went back behind the security door as the new register system was having issues. Waited about 5-10 minutes until the pharmacist told her to just head out, that she'd take care of the rest.

We made our way out of the store and the black Jeep was gone when we got to my Jeep, so it seems nothing went down. Maybe the driver tipped them off, since they had to have seen me when they pulled in. My window was down on that side. Maybe something spooked them. Maybe they were there making separate purchases to reduce suspicion.

Or maybe they really did just remember something they needed after the older gentleman got in, and I'm just being paranoid. I asked her afterward and she said she didn't remember the first gentleman specifically, but they did apparently sell a ton of Sudafed at the end of the day. I know the other two didn't make it back there.

:confused:

See less See more
#35 ·
If in same situation I think my witnessing viewpoint would differ a bit because I would have already been inside and near her area. I don't need to see the potential danger first. They're going to find me in the way from the get go. I felt protective of her long before any gun came into the mix.

It could be that your presence inside might have been enough for the scouting mission to have moved on? I know I have been looked at and sized up by guys that turn around and leave.

#39 ·
-
Black, white, red, or green, what they were doing was odd to say the least. You made a judgement call with a focus on your loved one's safety.

As far as getting the plate number for possible witness detail later, it's pretty easy to wander around with a phone to your ear & occasionally holding it in front if you as if checking something...while really just snapping photos as you manuver the camera's lense. A mobile phone is just another tool, & practice makes perfect! :wink:

#40 ·
I have posted this incedent on a couple of sites, following.

My personal vehicle is a Jeep, marked with my Sons Company, Security Company.

My Wife was shopping in Sandlakes Publix Grocery Store, me, who hates shopping, reading Library Book, in Parking Lot.

Call from Pauline, "Two baggy Pants Youth's are following me, no cart, or baskets.

I moved up to the drive under place, cover for rain, parked, got out parked myself at the rear of Jeep.

Told my Wife to walk at normal speed till she reached the out door, then hurry a bit, peel out to the right, go a few yards, and stop against the wall, looking to her rear, simple enough.

Me facing the door, they came out, smiling, the one on my right, hit his buddys arm, both fixed their eyes on me, and the vehicle, took off across the parking lot, and then to the street!

They had no vehicle, but my Wife did. I had two man sized targets at 7m, no weapons visable, it would have been loud! I do not think my 147g WW Rangers would have penetrated, 10" is the average.

And 16 rounds in my Glock 19 should have been enough! Have thought, and re thought it! Close!

Talked to the Manager, he said he noticed them, but has not seen them since.

Closest I have been since moving to Florida. Quite the adrenalin rush. My Wife of twenty years, sused them out. Share

#42 ·
I have posted about a similar High alert situation. Our spidey senses kick off for a reason. You took in information that would lead a reasonable individual to feel that "something" could be awry. Without going into details, this has happened to me plenty of times. You are definitely NOT paranoid. Keep your SA up!

#43 ·
i agree that you did the right thing...nothing happened and you might have been the reason for that...well done...

as for Pharmacies, they are just like banks to these druggies...why rob someone so you can buy drugs when you can just go to the pharmacy and get all you need...

there are always some shady characters around the pharmacys

#44 ·
Speaking of this problem I had to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago. Went to my local pharmacy since I hate the box stores and found a gun buster sign. I had come from a ball game at the school so I was not carrying and went in. I know this place has been robbed several times in the last couple years and I know the owner/pharmacist. I asked why the sign, he said he wanted to protect his customers and employees. I asked if he thought the sign would stop the criminals from coming in or just encourage them as they know nobody else is armed. After the standard answers I got my order and informed him that I could not come back as I do not feel safe in his establishment unarmed. He was shocked that I carried and was dumbfounded that I would not come back.

#46 ·
Don't forget about the additional liability the business assumes by forbidding conceal carry in WI. Our CC law says that if a business doesn't allow conceal carry they are responsible for anything that happens because of that decision. If I, a CC permit holder, was in a gun free business and it got shot up I could sue that business for not allowing me to protect myself. I would win.

#47 ·
Until there is case law on the books here that is only an assumption. The law says that a business cannot be held liable if they do not post but it does not say that they are liable if they do. I know it seems to make sense but to lawyers the law only says what is written not implied. I have spoken to many lawyers about this very topic and the they are split on the meaning, surprise surprise the split also seems to follow the specialty of the lawyer. Injury type lawyers think they can win and hold the business liable but business and defense lawyers feel the opposite. Until a case or two get through the system for judges to interpret it will remain a grey area. I hope none of us are involved in the test case.

#48 ·
You are correct, the law doesn't explicitly say that they can be held liable. I could guaranty that if something were to happen, and I as a CC or my family member was injured as a result of not having my weapon my chances are great of a large sum judgement. I think in order to win, you have to show that you were licensed and regularly carry and the only thing prohibiting you was the place of business's policy. It's no different than anything else, if your kid is playing on the playground of McD's and it collapses, you will win your suit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.