Possible home invasion last night real situation

This is a discussion on Possible home invasion last night real situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is the scenario: My Father-in-law lives in a VERY bad area in Milwaukee. He and his wife are out of town for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Possible home invasion last night real situation

So here is the scenario:

My Father-in-law lives in a VERY bad area in Milwaukee. He and his wife are out of town for a few weeks and have in recent years had a string of break-ins at their house prompting them to get a security system. Unknown to me I am a contact for his ADT security system. At 9pm last night I was on my way home from school and received a call from ADT saying there are motion sensors going off within the house. Milwaukee Police do not respond to alarms with any sense of urgency unless they know a burglary is in process. So being near school I am only about 10 minuets away and start heading down there so none of my wife's brothers have to make the 34 minute drive down from where we all live. I roll up on the house and EVERY light in the house is on and there is some dude standing at the end of their driveway looking up and down the street and then walks back up the driveway to the house. My alarm bells start going off like crazy thinking that a burglary is still in process and this guys is the look out. I immediately call 911 and tell them I think a burglary is in process and tell them where. 2 minutes later they come rolling up at which time I get out of my car after circling the block out of sight not to spook anyone that may be in or around the house until the police arrive. Long story short is that the guy was the neighbor who is evidently also on the ADT call list who I have never met and was waiting for his brother who is a LEO that just got off duty to show up and clear the house for him. Police did their routine and cleared the whole house and it must have been a defective motion sensor because nothing was out of the ordinary.

I was armed with my S&W M&P 9C but had no intentions of jumping out of the car and asking the suspicious dude what was going on for fear of things going south if he was involved.

Would anyone have handled this any differently? I think I did the best under the circumstances, I was not going to investigate the situation myself given the odd appearance of the house with every light on and a guys in the driveway.

Keep in mind this neighborhood is so bad I wont even take my family there for Christmas, it is that bad.

Thoughts?

nope. sounds good

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I think you did great! Problem solved safely and no one got hurt. Can't do better than that
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I think you did a great job......

One suggestion..... Maybe you should ask you FIL who else is on the security company call list......maybe you should all become acquainted with each other to lessen the possibity of a tragic situation in the future....

Sounds like everything was handled well.

You do know you'll have to have a word with your Father-in-law about getting everyone operating on the same page as to who is responsible for the alarm company. You should have known beforehand that you were on the contact list for the alarm company and you should have known who else was on the contact list too.
    oneshot, DMan and tcox4freedom like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Did better than I would have. I have to fight my natural inclination to go where angels fear to tread.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you responded in a good way.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

You did good....Im glad it worked out...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm like Hopyard. My fight or flight kicks in rather quickly and ever since I was 14 and was 4'11" at 92lbs it has been fight not flight. So I too have to fight off the adrenaline that comes on real quick. Nice job.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

mkh
    You did great.

First assumption was that the guy was a lookut. If you had ran with that assumption instead of calling the police things could have gotten real nasty for you. Always best to let the LEOs handle it - it isn't our job and it's not what concealed carry laws were designed for.
    MleeC likes this.

Nice job!...As others have said, make a point to meet the others on your FIL contact list.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

You did right without some form of backup, after all you could have been jumped. This is why we carry insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Did better than I would have. I have to fight my natural inclination to go where angels fear to tread.
    Just out of curiosity:why would you consider going into a home that is not supposed to be occupied,an alarm goes off, and you see unknown amount of people doing unkown things when you know the cops are coming? Where is the urgency? Oh, and it is not even your house. I mean, what would you be protecting?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Well played. Nobody hurt, you stayed safe and armed but did not escalate a situation in which no one was threatened.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

You did the right thing....Talk to your FIL about call list.
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links