Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

This is a discussion on Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MichSteve I would like some suggestions for gas station safety, we all have to get gas. 1. Alway take your keys out ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post

I would like some suggestions for gas station safety, we all have to get gas.

1. Alway take your keys out of the car, I got out of this habit when I started paying at the pump.
    2. Try to go to a busy well lit station.
    3. Pick a bay closest to the door of the station.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU PUMP GAS?

I have to pump a minimum of once daily, 6 days a week for work, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day, plus I have 4 drivers & 4 cars in the family & usually at the station a couple more times a week with those.

Good suggestions noted above (high SA alert at all times goes without saying), I would only add;

1A. IMPORTANT!! Often times when we pull up to a pump, we do not immediately get out because of wrapping up a phone call, paperwork, listening to the end of a song, news, weather, or radio spot that has got your attention until completion, etc. However, many car makes & models (thinking of GM specifically, but not exclusive) will automatically unlock all doors upon putting the vehicle in "P"ark with the engine still running. If your car does this, & you're going to sit in your car for any length of time before getting out, manually re-lock all doors after parking until you're ready to exit the vehicle, otherwise, you're a sitting duck for someone to get to you or get into your car while you are sitting there & likely pre-occupied with whatever kept you from getting out in the first place.

1B. When you do exit your car, & after taking your keys, immediately lock the car (hitting the lock button a couple times to make the horn honk, letting others around you know that your car is locked, is probably a good thing). This prevents anyone entering your car, either by force, or undetected from the other side from where you are while you're pumping.

2A. Do not unlock your car until you are immediately next to the drivers door & ready to get in. Also when you unlock your car, unlock ONLY the driver's door. Most power door lock systems unlock just the driver's door on the first button push of the key remote, then all doors on the second button push. NEVER unlock all doors if you are alone! Unlocking all doors, or unlocking the drivers door too soon makes it much easier for BG's to get inside either before, with, or after you.

If you are someone who likes to play "long distance" with your key remote to see how far away from the car it will work (ie. 20, 30 or 40 feet away), or push it many times to watch the light show from your headlights / tail lights, which also unlocks all doors, you're flirting with disaster, as this allows access to your car from multiple door locations, and by those that are closer to your car than you are. STOP IT!

3A. Once you are inside & have closed your drivers door, IMMEDIATELY lock all doors manually. If your doors auto lock upon putting the car in drive, that is TOO late & gives too much opportunity from the time you get in, to the time you start the car & put it in drive, for someone to open your drivers door & pull you out, or push you over to the passenger side.

These steps help minimize the ability & opportunity of unwanted quests slipping into your car. These also apply to ANY parking lot as you approach your car, Walmart, grocery store, shopping mall, etc.
    Last edited by KimBobTex; April 1st, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

2. Remove Ads

There are no safe parts of town, purge that fantasy now.

Great ideas, I always take they keys, unless it is sub zero and the wife is in the car.

I respect people who try to forcefully take what belongs to others about the same as the slime on the bottom of my shoes, and treat them much the same.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the gasoline dousing plan.

First time I came across the idea was on an episode of Justified. In it the lead is accosted at gun point, douses the opponent, and then explains to the miscreant how gasoline burns. I know it's just tv, but the idea was sound (as evidenced by others having similar plans).
    The reward for work well done is more work.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    RetSup99, A gun not permitted in vehicle, in Florida????? When did the state law change???
    When It's School Property
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Gas handle in the left hand, BIC in the right. Have you noticed the price of .45 caliber ammo lately

Seriously though, good advice. I heighten my situational awareness while pumping gas, have keys in my pocket and try to employ common sense on what's reasonable to react to. Most times with such close quarters at the pumps it will probably be fast and take you by surprise.

it will be a crime if they screw with stand your ground laws because this man would have been guilty

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Well-lit, with a view to the cashier. Back to the car & keep the head moving. Sabre Red in hand with a mental note of the path for the draw.

My keys are always on me.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

it will be a crime if they screw with stand your ground laws because this man would have been guilty
    Not exactly sure what happened in the video, but did the shooter get in his car and drive away?
    I would think that's a big no-no.

I don't always have the opportunity to get gasoline in broad daylight, not that a person is any safer. Thugs these days are so brazen, the will commit crime within shouting distance of the police.

Some of the time I have to get fuel when it may be a bit dark, I try to find the places where the least amount of crime may happen, but you never know. When I pull up, I am looking around at the lot to see who is where, how many cars, how many people and kind of keep them in view while getting gasoline. If I don't have the S&W 9mm with me, at the least I have my wife's LCP and would not hesitate to use it if someone tries to carjack or rob me while I am getting fuel. I simply refuse to be a victim.

Situational awareness is something I have been working on since our nice neighbourhood has gone to the dogs recently. It seems like you just can't trust anyone who remotely looks the part of a thug.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Only have one car for the two of us, and we have been getting 8+ weeks between fill ups. That greatly reduces the chances of an incident. Also, if the wife is in the car, she has her weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    RetSup99, A gun not permitted in vehicle, in Florida????? When did the state law change???

I work in a school...no weapons inside, nor in a vehicle parked on school property.

If someone wanted to drop off/pick up someone at a school, they can have a weapon in the car as long as they don't leave the vehicle.
    Park the vehicle and walk into the office...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1) I keep all of my doors locked and just manually unlock the driver's door when I get out to get gas. That way no one can jump in any other door.
    2) I keep my hand on the handle ready to douse with gas if need be.
    3) I do not leave much room between my vehicle and the pump. Just wide enough for one person. This way if someone approaches from the front of my truck I can open my drivers door and block them while I get in.
    4) I stand between my drivers door (closed) and the gas tank with my back to the truck facing the pump rather than facing the front or back. This was I can see both the front and back of the truck at the same time.

I was approached once by a person bumming gas. I put a gallon or two in his gas can. I stand between my drivers door and the gas tank, so the nozzle was between us and my back was against my truck (I was standing sideways). I instructed him to hold the can up with both hands (this way his hands were busy and I didn't have to bend over and be vulnerable) and I had my left hand on the nozzle and my right on my XD40sc. It was uneventful, but I was ready to douse or draw if I needed to.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I would like some suggestions for gas station safety, we all have to get gas.
    Well, I think all the security-related bases have already been covered by others, but I do have to point out that we don't all have to get gas. I haven't bought gas in right at about a year. While I'm not suggesting everybody buy an electric car just to avoid getting carjacked at the gas station, I suppose that could be an added benefit.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I work in a school...no weapons inside, nor in a vehicle parked on school property.

If someone wanted to drop off/pick up someone at a school, they can have a weapon in the car as long as they don't leave the vehicle.
    Park the vehicle and walk into the office...
    I hope someone informs the students.

Park off site.

One other thing you can do is have the keys in your hand and hit the car alarm button that is on all key fobs these days. Criminals hate extra attention. I like the idea of soaking them in fuel, then just maybe if he does use a firearm, the police will easily see the " zippo " running from the scene. I don't know if it would work, but it's a great thought.
    ( Maybe send it to the Mythbusters for verification )
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links