Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

This is a discussion on Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I take my keys and lock the car. All the gas stations are now pay in advance so you have to leave the car to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

  1. #31
    New Member Array valvestem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3
    I take my keys and lock the car. All the gas stations are now pay in advance so you have to leave the car to go pay.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array zonker1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,425
    left hand on the gas nozzle, right hand in pocket on the PF-9. You want my car, I'll throw in the 8 9mm JHP's at no charge.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,285
    Had some punk try a hit on me in 2007, Orlando area...

    I was gassing up at a C store, wife was inside spitting in the face of adversity and buying a lottery ticket. I'm filling th PU and doing my 360 (SOP) scan when a Kid with a pipe and a plastic bag, came a charging from about 50' away.

    There was no doubt as to what his intension's were, so I cleared my holster, had a solid grip on the HK and had it at half draw, in my defensive stance.... The kid saw this and changed course very fast kind of like a rechochet.... end of story.... yes I posted a more detailed version here when it happened...

    N yes my keys always stick to my hand when I exit any vehicle....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

  5. #34
    Member Array oldcurmudgeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    139
    I have seen several references here to hosing down a BG.

    Don't do it.

    Not quite 70 years ago, I had an experience with gasoline fumes and it was quite an education.

    Too long to go into here, so I will mention another story that hapened to the brother of a person with whom I did business back in the 1960's.

    The brother and another fellow decided to burn the stumps and logs piles up by some bull dozer work they had done.

    The poured the gas over the wood and waited a few minutes for it to soak in.

    They were killed by the resulting explosion when they lit it off.

    When you hose the bad guy, there will be fumes as heavy as a London fog and within seconds. When you light him off, you will go with him.

    Not a good idea.

    Just shoot the S.O.B and be done with it.

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    I have seen several references here to hosing down a BG.

    Don't do it.

    Not quite 70 years ago, I had an experience with gasoline fumes and it was quite an education.

    Too long to go into here, so I will mention another story that hapened to the brother of a person with whom I did business back in the 1960's.

    The brother and another fellow decided to burn the stumps and logs piles up by some bull dozer work they had done.

    The poured the gas over the wood and waited a few minutes for it to soak in.

    They were killed by the resulting explosion when they lit it off.

    When you hose the bad guy, there will be fumes as heavy as a London fog and within seconds. When you light him off, you will go with him.

    Not a good idea.

    Just shoot the S.O.B and be done with it.
    Similar incident a number of years back....
    I had just finished mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, and had refilled the 1 gallon gas can for the mower at the corner station, and had retreated to the house for a break...

    It was a very warm, quiet and windless day....

    Dad decided to burn the leaves and used up what he felt was an almost empty gas can on (same one) the leaves to help to get them to light up fast...

    Mom went to the kitchen for a match and bent over to light them (the leaves)...
    .
    Next I hear a loud WHOOSH and see a huge blue ball of fire roll by the length of the house (fire Ball was at least 25' high and 60' long)...
    I then ran outside to seem my mom minus most of her hair and no eyebrows,. yeah we were lucky...

    So any open flame at a gas station is a real bad idea, however.... Many stations now use fume recovery systems, gas is not a volatile as it use to be since the no lead and use of 10% ethanol... So if you don't smell it there is not a real high danger, but be safe!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

  7. #36
    Distinguished Member
    Array accessbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,380
    I wouldn't be able to use the hose on anyone anyway. Oregon doesn't think its citizenry can competently handle a gas nozzle, so we have to have someone who works for the gas station pump it for us. It is nice in that you don't get gas on your hands, but it is a real pain because I could normally get in and out in the time that it takes for them just to come to me to start pumping.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

  8. #37
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,811
    By a Volt

  9. #38
    Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I wouldn't be able to use the hose on anyone anyway. Oregon doesn't think its citizenry can competently handle a gas nozzle, so we have to have someone who works for the gas station pump it for us. It is nice in that you don't get gas on your hands, but it is a real pain because I could normally get in and out in the time that it takes for them just to come to me to start pumping.
    I pumped gas when I was in high school and for some of my college years. I think I was probably around 17 yrs. of age when the service station manager, also the chief mechanic, sent me out to the self service drive to tell the gentleman to put out his cigarette. I took a look out there and spied a famously known local miscreant. There was no way I was going to walk out there and say anything to that guy!

    The manager pulled a fire extinguisher off the wall, shoved it into my hands, and said, "Here, take this with you."

    So I walk out onto the self-service drive and politely told the gentleman to put his smoke out. I can't remember what was said exactly but I remember that the smoker made some implications that he didn't have to follow orders from children or some such drivel. I said something about calling the Sheriff and the guy put his smoke out. I felt pretty tough until I turned around and saw the manager, a mechanic, and two part timers all standing outside the station with various tools in their hands.

  10. #39
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I pumped gas when I was in high school and for some of my college years. I think I was probably around 17 yrs. of age when the service station manager, also the chief mechanic, sent me out to the self service drive to tell the gentleman to put out his cigarette. I took a look out there and spied a famously known local miscreant. There was no way I was going to walk out there and say anything to that guy!

    The manager pulled a fire extinguisher off the wall, shoved it into my hands, and said, "Here, take this with you."

    So I walk out onto the self-service drive and politely told the gentleman to put his smoke out. I can't remember what was said exactly but I remember that the smoker made some implications that he didn't have to follow orders from children or some such drivel. I said something about calling the Sheriff and the guy put his smoke out. I felt pretty tough until I turned around and saw the manager, a mechanic, and two part timers all standing outside the station with various tools in their hands.
    LOL you had a BUG (back up group)
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

  11. #40
    Member Array StcLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    There are plenty of fumes floating around a filling station drive especially if it's busy. I do no relish the possibility of anyone discharging a firearm around said fumes.
    if there are alot of fumes floating around your gas station, go somewhere else. as mentioned, gas stations have a vapor recovery system and most people aren't dumping gas on the ground.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

  12. #41
    Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,112
    I posted about a year ago about an experience I had in Arkansas. I was pumping gas at a hole in the wall station (my stupidity letting the car get so low I had no choice). My twin boys were next to me and we were talking when this guy walks up to us in a heavy parka and all that (its 100 degrees) and starts asking if we wanted to buy a camcorder or something like that, next thing i knew I moved the kids behind me and had my hand on my Glock (not thinking, just reacting) and told him in a no so friendly mannor NO, he backed off and went about what ever he was doing. We came out and another guy told me he had a run in with him. Yeah, when I pump gas, especially out in an area I am not familar with, i am on alert.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

  13. #42
    Member Array NE45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    128
    My town is so small I know most of the miscreants by sight however there are still the occasional bums passing through that can be a problem. However recently I had to fly to CA and pick up a vehicle to bring it back here. On the way back, unarmed, I stopped to get fuel somewhere in Nevada. I’d no sooner exited the vehicle than I have a fairly large black male headed my way with the old “buddy can you help me out line”.

    There was a time, that I really did try to help people but unfortunately those days are gone. I just glared at him and said, “no……..and that’s close enough”. He stopped and looked at me like, (what’s with this old fart) then turned around and walked away. I noticed as I was leaving he was making the rounds of the station across the street as well. That, "hey buddy" line is used to get them in closer to you than you want them, chances are anyone using it isn't your buddy.

    Too bad we have to view everyone as a threat. Oh, and my perception of the guy wasn’t based on his race, the last two individuals I’ve had real problems with were trash of the white verity. Bad comes in all colors.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

    "A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

  14. #43
    Member Array dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    53
    When I stop for gas I get out and lock the door. I am still surprised that soooo many people leave their car unlocked, or even UNLOCKED and RUNNING when they go inside. I am constantly looking around when I am pumping. Although where I normally get gas called Wawa, the other night at 6PM a guy walked in with a trash bag and took $700 worth of cigs from behind the counter and left. The place is normally packed at 6Pm so I was shocked.

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array 45ACP4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    697
    I lock my truck, set the handle to automatically fill and wander around the rear of my vehicle with my cold hands in my pockets. In reality I'm scanning the area with a 9mm Kahr in my right hand.

    It truly amazes me how many people stand there texting or get in and out of their vehicles. Getting in and out really scares me because of the potential of static shocks when you touch the pump handle.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

  16. #45
    Member Array ScottieG59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    65
    I live in a small town, but crimes is out here too. I am very careful about keys, having my cell phone on me, having my Glock 27 and watching the area. If I have to go inside the station, I do not leave kids in the car, even if it is locked and I have the keys. I also look around a lot, sort of like a bird that lands in the middle of a grass field. Also, when I drive, I always allow space in front of me for escape routes and I watch for people approaching. Also, there are prime carjacking areas, such as under bridges, especially if you are blocked in because you followed too closely.When I have to go to Kansas City, there are some red lights and stop signs I will roll through due to the danger.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

almost car jacked

,
almost carjacked
,
almost got car jacked
,

can i shoot if i'm carjacked

,

can i shoot if i'm in a carjacking laws in alabama

,
can i shoot someone if i am being car jacked
,
gas receipt carjacking
,

i was almost carjacked

,
nice truck in chicago will i get carjacked
,
receipt carjackin
,
scenario on carjacking
,
survivalforum.com how to keep a vehicle from m driving into your house
Click on a term to search for related topics.