Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

This is a discussion on Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since my wife always manages to get me to gas up her car, her lack of caution isn't a problem. And when I buy gas, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

Since my wife always manages to get me to gas up her car, her lack of caution isn't a problem. And when I buy gas, I am armed, alert, and have a very large black dog riding shotgun.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I pumped gas when I was in high school and for some of my college years. I think I was probably around 17 yrs. of age when the service station manager, also the chief mechanic, sent me out to the self service drive to tell the gentleman to put out his cigarette. I took a look out there and spied a famously known local miscreant. There was no way I was going to walk out there and say anything to that guy!

The manager pulled a fire extinguisher off the wall, shoved it into my hands, and said, "Here, take this with you."
    LOL I was certain you were going to use the fire extinguisher to put out the cigarette!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    if there are alot of fumes floating around your gas station, go somewhere else. as mentioned, gas stations have a vapor recovery system and most people aren't dumping gas on the ground.
    Except you when you hose the BG.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Only have one car for the two of us, and we have been getting 8+ weeks between fill ups. That greatly reduces the chances of an incident. Also, if the wife is in the car, she has her weapon.
    It's a shame that this man's wife wasn't armed.

Elderly couple testifies in court about fighting off would-be carjacker in Lincoln Park
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    We usually get our gas up where we live, which is relatively safe(55min from Detroit), but i worry about my 22yr. old boy & 19 yr old daughter, ,,,,,,,,,Still though head is on swivel, etc,

STORY,,Driver @ work was fueling up at one of our enclosed yards in Detroit 5-6 yrs. ago, and some punk walked up to him and tried robbing him, he doused the chump with diesel and, as the driver had a lighter in his pocket, which when produced, got the thug double-timing out of there.
    That one remained in the ole' memory bank,,,,,
    you don't worry about me?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I have more than once, been approached at a gas station late at night near where i work. Once, I drew down on the perp to find that he was after paper towels near where i stood. But, I would not change a thing. Carjackings on the rise here too.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Amen on being aware. Keep your SA! I never let my wife get gas anymore (even thought she is a very adept weapons handler - Semper Fi!).

No matter how well lit, or nice the place seems, I get out, she locks the car, I put the fuel in and we go. Mutual support and supporting fire is the way to go.

It is too bad that our current administration has driven our general population to the low point of thinking that a $10 - $100 dollars of quick cash is worth being dead over. Too bad.

Dead is dead. Not to be taken lightly, no matter how little $$ price the POS will put on you.

Stay aware!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    why don't cha gimme five bucks
    ...17ish, hat backward & pants at halfmast

--aint't gonna happen

man, i am gonna dance on your car if you....

--your gonna dance and be dripping gasoline

say....what you mean??

---you by chance have fire insurance??

you crazy man....im otta here

as he hikes up his pants and makes a rather vocal exit

-----that was about 3 years ago and in the middle of the day.
    medium size station in a busy, nice area of town but that the
    bus stop in front is the last on a run from down-town and between two malls. the 'kids'
    ride to the end of the line and than figure to drive home. the city cops even know
    the two inner city streets to find most of the 'borrowed' cars the next morning.

question is if they are in any condition to be wanted returned. insult is the $400
    in towing and storage fees to get it back. ramble off.

who thinks things are geting better?
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    In addition to my above post - I'll add, to be fair, that I am a very 'large' individual who always appears to have a very fixed 'Do Not Disturb' attitude and appearance, though I am very polite to everyone (never confuse politeness with weakness).

So,(and I know a bunch of you will shill me on this) I always stair directly at threats/Tangos, instead of playing coy). If you push their button, the were up to no good anyway!

I have found that most people (most, but not all, of other social-demographic makeup) steer clear of me totally. Also, if I can be polite and avoid a confrontation, the better it is for everyone.

My point is…………. When I get fuel (or any other stop outside of my usual AO), I am always assessing the oblique shooting opportunities, SA and threat.
    I'm not paranoid. I’m just very proactive.

Everyone stay safe and sane!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    you don't worry about me?

^NAW!^^^^^^^^

I worry about them, as Aly cannot carry as of yet, and your "OLDER" cousin, is a "part-time", carry it if I "Feel" "I might need it kinda guy.
    You are not as lax.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    It may be cheaper just to shoot, with the price of gas and diesel now a guy could waste 20 or 30 bucks worth in a few seconds.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I try not to go below half full which allows for options as to where I fill up.

I pick the stations and try to do it in the daylight hours.

My head is on a swivel and my strong side hand is always free.

I always carry.

OS
    Add lock your car and take keys with you and you have the complete recipe and answer to this thread. It is all about situational awareness and common sense--really not hard to comprehend or appreciate. Thank you Old School.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    By a Volt
    I wasn't going to hijack the thread.. but since you mentioned it. I drive a Leaf and my wife drives a Volt. I haven't pumped gas in a year and a half and my wife now gets gas about once every 6 weeks. And it is always when it is convenient to get gas since she drives to work and back on electric. So there are no more night time or early morning trips to the gas station for her. Personal safety is definitely a bonus of driving on electric.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'm usually filling up my truk in the early AM. But I always drive through the ststion at least once sometimes twice ro make sure no one is hiding behind garbage or storage area's. During my drive through I also get so see who is where and decide how much of a threat each one pose. If I dont like the looks of things...I keep it moving. If I do stop I have some idea of who and what to keep my eye on. When pumping @ 0 dark :30 Always have strong hand in pocket holding 2" .38 Just in case ya know?
    Good situational awareness. Seems like coming out from behind the dumpster and getting the drop on someone is becoming a trend these days. Here's a clip I first saw about a year ago that's helped me to look for "odd" people at the gas station. Apologies for the background chatter.

What Are The Two Most Dangerous Places To Be In The City? - YouTube

VIP Member
    Not a carjacking, but I saw this one coming this morning. A beggar approached when I was filling up. He started with a "'scuse me sir, but-" I held up the palm of my left hand and sternly and loudly said "NO!" He veered off and when to the next car in the next stall. I overhead him while keeping an eye on him - he claimed he was "out of gas" and needed money for "just a couple of gallons." Yeah.

The palm of my right hand was on my 642 in my pocket. No, I was not even close to drawing, but I wanted it there in case he took a turn for violence. You never know. This is the same place a guy went ballistic four year ago when I refused to give him a ride into Atlanta (I'm pretty sure he could have kicked by tail).

I'm finding a new gas station. This one is right by a bus stop and next to a main highway onramp. It's convenient, but there are always bums there.

After this morning I decided it's stupid for me to go there again. Too bad, it's darn convenient.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links