Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

This is a discussion on Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was approached at 7-11 mid morning by a kid my age asking if I would drive to the hotel parking lot to jump their ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

I was approached at 7-11 mid morning by a kid my age asking if I would drive to the hotel parking lot to jump their car. He was late for work. Well I didn't have my cpl put had my hand in my pocket with my knife open. I immediately stopped pumping gas said I wasn't going to help and risk getting myself fired for being late. I advised him they have a phone book inside to call a wrecker. He turned away.

2. Remove Ads

An area, where poeple's attention is concentrated on something else rather than those around them, and plenty of opportunity to choose the right victim.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I can't carry yet - take required class next week, then wait patiently for permit - but I have always kept very high situational awareness when pumping gas.
    In general I only stop at well lit stations that have other customers already there.

Last year, coming home from chicago, we had some mixups with exits that required back tracking, we didn't check the level and ended up extremely low on gas heading towards Gary Indiana. We got off the expressway at what looked like a populated exit that was supposed to have a ga station, only to find the road closed and we were forced into an area that made Detroit look like a nice place to walk down the street.
    We found a gas station - completely deserted - and I pulled up to the pump closest to the parking lot exit, car pointing toward the exit, and left the engine running. As soon as I got 2 gallons in 3 beat up cars all came flying into the lot from the same side street - and I didn't even wait to see what was going to happen... We were out of there as fast as I could put the handle back on the machine and hit the "no receipt" button. Was I just being paranoid? I'll never know - but it felt "wrong" and I'm glad we got the eff out of there. Now I am MUCH more aware of my fuel level when traveling unknown areas and I don't let It drop below half a tank.

Gas stations make me nervous. My usual daily driver is a full size 12 seater van so plenty of blind spots when I'm filling. With no automatic locks I need to get in the habit of locking the kids in when we load up to leave the house, that's something I've never done. I do always take the keys with me and pay at the pump. I am always armed. My other vehicle is a small convertible, a gas saver when the kids aren't with me. No blind spots, but very exposed feeling when pulling in and out of places. Just a few weeks ago I had someone come up and beg for money while I was at the pump and at a different gas station a week or so later I happened to have the van alone and was going inside for smokes there was a guy talking to himself on the sidewalk. As I was climbing back in my van he took a step towards me and said "rolling out in a Chevy...I'll roll out with you" I started the van before fully seated and threw it in reverse thinking I've got a Ruger that says you're not going anywhere with me! Police pulled in as I pulled out so he'd already creeped other people out and I'm sure the employees must have called by then. My husband always asks why I carry everywhere - just to go do this or that. I got home and told him that's exactly why I always carry. He may have been a harmless weirdo but you never know. I wasn't going to stick around or get close enough to find out but at least I have another option if I need one.

I haven't heard of any carjackings in my area but have heard several over in Orlando in recent months on the news.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I don't always have the opportunity to get gasoline in broad daylight, not that a person is any safer. Thugs these days are so brazen, the will commit crime within shouting distance of the police.

So damn true. When I first moved to SC, I ended up an area that looked nice but by no means was (come to find out). Within my first few weeks there, I was filling up my truck at a gas station when a guy inside, seen another guy outside pumping gas. He dropped the items he was holding while in line, walked right out the door and shot the guy in the chest.. all in front of a cop parked across the street watching the gas station. Turns out, the two were involved in some sort of dispute over drugs.

When getting gas, I circle the lot first, taking in the sights. After a twice over, I get out, lock my doors and just pay attention to what's going on. Danger lurks everywhere, so the people you may have to worry most about or out of sight/inside the store so I keep an eye on who's entering/exiting while filling up ever since that event..

I know exactly when the original poster is talking about. I live in Metro Detroit and would never buy gas in the city. Robberies and car jackings are happening all too often and it has become a crime of choice. They beat an old man, broke his leg, stole his car and video caught him crawling back to the store. I am downtown often in the "business" district wearing a suit and tie and get some attempted harassment once at least once a week. It is hard to carry when you are in and out of the courts all the time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links