Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

This is a discussion on Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in a conversation with 6 other guys about the carjacking in our area, one ended in the death of the driver who was ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pumping Gas getting Carjacked is on the rise in our area.

I was in a conversation with 6 other guys about the carjacking in our area, one ended in the death of the driver who was a woman on her way home from work who stopped to get gas and was approached by a woman who wanted to use her cell phone, the woman refused so the woman ask to sit in her car to get warm and when she entered she pulled a gun and shot her, then dropped the gun and a male accomplice pick up the gun and shot her 3 more times, she lived long enough to get to the hospital where she was DOA.

Another carjacking on an older couple in there early 80's, he is pumping gas and his wife is in the car when a man with a knife jumps in a tells the woman to get out, she refuses and the husband returns and tries to fight off the man with the knife, it ends up the thug gets out and leaves with no harm to the couple.

I would like some suggestions for gas station safety, we all have to get gas.

1. Alway take your keys out of the car, I got out of this habit when I started paying at the pump.
    2. Try to go to a busy well lit station.
    3. Pick a bay closest to the door of the station.

I do carry most of the time, I have a job where I can not always carry, however, I always have a gun in a locked safe in the car. I get called out in the middle of the night sometimes to bad areas of town, which I always carry wether or not my employer agrees or not. I try to have at least a 1/2 tank of gas when I park at night and I am on call.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU PUMP GAS?

Cool

I try not to go below half full which allows for options as to where I fill up.

I pick the stations and try to do it in the daylight hours.

My head is on a swivel and my strong side hand is always free.

I always carry.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

As we approach the "escalation" (per Reverend Sleazy's words) of the "civil disobedience" (you now have permission to take YT's stuff) , you must exercise extreme caution in the conduct of your day-to-day business. Gas stations, ATM's, restaurants, and retail are all soft targets for the "opposition".

I can speak from experience as i was almost carjacked about a year ago by two males at a busy gas station in broad daylight. I'm 6'3" 220# so these guys were fearless.

I always remove my keys from the ignition since I pay with cash inside. Second, I always shut my drivers door so the v of my door and truck don't create a trap and I have one more escape route. Third, I always keep my hand on the pump regardless of whether or not it has a handle catch. This allows me to soak someone in gasoline if I have to. Being set on fire is definitely a fear we all have, and the cops can easily ID the guy who reeks of gasoline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

I always lock the doors when I get out. Always stand with my back against the truck . I have 180 view of things. I stand so the hose blocks one side. The only clear approach is from my left. No one can reach my side with my weapon. And I give everbody a good looking over.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Usually once a week, early Sunday morning. Keys are always in my pocket.
    No one is around but I'm looking anyway. I like the "soaked with gas" idea but hope no one gets that close...

I usually only need a 1/4 tank of gas (I try to keep if full), and I get gas early in the morning at the same place...it's always crowded.
    My head is on a swivel, but because of where I work, I cannot be armed nor have a weapon in the car (state law).
    I am not so concerned at my gas station...too many people I know and they know me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It's nice to have fuel on the farm. We do buy plenty of gas out and about. If you're not actively looking, that's the time you'll turn around and "someone" will be too close. They watch for the blind spots.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I always have my hand on the gas nozzle. If accosted they will get sprayed. My back is to my vehicle and I'm looking around for suspicious people. The gun is concealed but I'm ready. keys are always taken out. I don't talk to anyone. If someone suspicious approaches I'm ready to leave, at any time.

I just acquired a Sig P380 so I now carry two guns.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Usually once a week, early Sunday morning. Keys are always in my pocket.
    No one is around but I'm looking anyway. I like the "soaked with gas" idea but hope no one gets that close...
    Trust me, those pumps will shoot gas a whole lot farther than you think. I'd say at a minimum 8feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

I always lock my doors and lean back to my van pumping with my left ( I'm a righty), if by chance I get ambushed before I can draw I've got a gorilla fist tied to my keys hanging around my neck I can swing at 'em. By then 1) their eyes are burning or 2) they're bleeding profusely depending upon my reaction.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I'm usually filling up my truk in the early AM. But I always drive through the ststion at least once sometimes twice ro make sure no one is hiding behind garbage or storage area's. During my drive through I also get so see who is where and decide how much of a threat each one pose. If I dont like the looks of things...I keep it moving. If I do stop I have some idea of who and what to keep my eye on. When pumping @ 0 dark :30 Always have strong hand in pocket holding 2" .38 Just in case ya know?
    Old School likes this.

RetSup99, A gun not permitted in vehicle, in Florida????? When did the state law change???

VIP Member
    We usually get our gas up where we live, which is relatively safe(55min from Detroit), but i worry about my 22yr. old boy & 19 yr old daughter, ,,,,,,,,,Still though head is on swivel, etc,

STORY,,Driver @ work was fueling up at one of our enclosed yards in Detroit 5-6 yrs. ago, and some punk walked up to him and tried robbing him, he doused the chump with diesel and, as the driver had a lighter in his pocket, which when produced, got the thug double-timing out of there.
    That one remained in the ole' memory bank,,,,,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There are plenty of fumes floating around a filling station drive especially if it's busy. I do no relish the possibility of anyone discharging a firearm around said fumes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links