I'm with BABY!

This is a discussion on I'm with BABY! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; another scenario I find myself in alot... I have two kids, 3.5 y/o girl and 1.5 y/o boy(who is in my picture to left)-needs updating. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm with BABY!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

I'm with BABY!

another scenario I find myself in alot...

I have two kids, 3.5 y/o girl and 1.5 y/o boy(who is in my picture to left)-needs updating. Well he is getting bigger by the day, and mom isn't able to carry him very well. So, I get to carry him. The problem is I am a great disadvantage tactically if something was to happen. I keep on thinking on how to get him to safety or protect him while trying to get to my firearm to protect everyone. my little girl would normally be holding mom's hand, and my wife knows to get to cover, as we have discussing alot. But now I have little man in my arms? any suggestions?
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

I have been thinking about this alot too. 2 week old daughter will be carried by me in a Papoose thingie, in the future, that my wife has already fitted me with.

I don't see me doing anything like reaching for my weapon while wearing this thing. I will not use my child as body armor. so I will be watching this thread with great interest.

MikeV

I'm thinking of a human sheild and your it, untill you get to cover. I also have the same thoughts but if I carry him its always weakside never the gun hand even if he is walking next to me. Situational awareness would be key but add a child to the mix and your SA may not be up to normal levels. My biggest concern is putting the boy in a car seat when you are half in and half out of the car focused on the buckles. When the wife is there she buckles I'm the spotter.

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - am I glad to be old and grey, with kids gone.

I have to say you guys will little ones to cope with do indeed have an extra load with your carry. Situational awareness needs stretched to the max.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Jeeze, there is no right answer to this dilemma! SA isn't going to cover it. Avoidance is about the only thing I can think of that might turn the odds against being attacked in your favor. Try not to go anywhere, or to do anything, that might force you to defend the child. Shop during daylight hours; avoid isolated settings; stay on familiar ground and in your own part of town, etc.

In the unlikely event that you're accosted while carrying a child, disobey all your usual instincts; and, while smiling and loudly saying, 'OK, I'm just going to reach for my wallet; you can have everything I've got!' show the perp the wallet. Then gently throw it on the ground between the two of you. Hold out your free hand, palm out, toward the bad guy and slowly back away.

Some you win; some you lose; some you can't get tickets to; and, sometimes, just getting home without any extra holes in ya is winning enough! After all, the credit cards can be easily canceled. Your licenses are completely replaceable; and, that $50 bucks you keep in your wallet for just such an event isn't really going to be missed.

Got a 2 month old and this is the very thing I worry about. I sometimes have the wife carry him. And I act as guard.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    ... 1.5 y/o boy ... I get to carry him. The problem is I am a great disadvantage tactically if something was to happen.
    Treat him like a bag of groceries. Carry him on your "off" hand side, which should leave your strong side free if needed. From your perspective, you need to be ready to react and protect.

At 1.5yrs old, it's a bit early to train him well, but help him see the wisdom of getting close to his mother if you ever drop/react. He's got eyes, legs and should be smart enough to see the sense of this. Practicing the drill a dozen times with your family can help instill this knowledge in the kids.

The reality is: you're at a great disadvantage, tactically, having them with you. No way around that. The best you can hope for is that you all work as a team, together, for the goal. The goal being safety.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Stratagy #1 avoid any confrontation , stratgy 2 thro 10 is see #1 leave before it starts . now that being said and failed , put Jr down and move away , tell the kid go to momma , hope they do being scared . but you if your going to engage , move away from the ones you want to protect . It really doesnt matter if the child is 6 months or 6 years , create distance before you engage anyone , bad guys are not good shots and anything within 10 ft of you or so may well be shot if not behind cover .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Stratagy #1 avoid any confrontation , stratgy 2 thro 10 is see #1 leave before it starts . now that being said and failed , put Jr down and move away , tell the kid go to momma , hope they do being scared . but you if your going to engage , move away from the ones you want to protect . It really doesnt matter if the child is 6 months or 6 years , create distance before you engage anyone , bad guys are not good shots and anything within 10 ft of you or so may well be shot if not behind cover .
    +1

Dont try to act as a human shield, your kid wont stay still and will be exposed. Get right away from them. You'll also be drawing any fire away from them too.

Lead Moderator
    Big disadvatage, guess ya need to cope best ya can. Luckily my kids are a bit older now and can duck and hide.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Give mom the option - either you pack heat or carry Jr.

If you are by yourself - grab the baby with non dominant arm, use your body as a shield and engage with dominant side while retreating to a safer location.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I hold my son's hand on left side as a default as my primary HG is on the right....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Give mom the option - either you pack heat or carry Jr.

If you are by yourself - grab the baby with non dominant arm, use your body as a shield and engage with dominant side while retreating to a safer location.
    Not an option for me. My wife has bad back problems and I have to carry my child.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

We train for this scenario in my IDPA club all the time. Carry him weak side, perched on your hip. If you have to "go hot" draw strong side and pivot so that you present a narrow profile, strong side to the threat. Looks almost like a classic target shooting position...one handed grip. Retreat and give a LOUD verbal command. Solve the problem as circumstances dictate. Seek cover so you can put the kid into a safe position and allow you to reload and reassess. Practice the retreat. It's fairly easy indoors, but much tougher outside. The kid will throw your balance out of whack and a stumble could be fatal for you all.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well I am glad I am not the only one with this dilemma. I don't think putting him down is an option for me. He is safest in my arms, IMO.
    Putting the kids in the car is a major problem for me, half in, half out, bad circumstance. I like the position ExSoldier speaks of, if it is possible. SA has to be priority one when out with the family. I would like to think BG's wouldn't mess with someone with kids, but just the opposite is probably true.-- they try the easiest targets.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links