Fixed Blade Knife and funny behavior

This is a discussion on Fixed Blade Knife and funny behavior within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At McDonald's a couple of weeks ago I noticed the guy in front of me had a good sized open carry fixed blade. He was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Fixed Blade Knife and funny behavior

At McDonald's a couple of weeks ago I noticed the guy in front of me had a good sized open carry fixed blade. He was wearing a leather jacket and the knife looked to be one with sharp edge towards front. He could have gutted somebody in about a second.

He was behaving strangely by his movements, not aggressive but I stepped back out of reach. I watched him and his odd movements seemed familiar, like I had seen them before.

After a while I recalled where I had seen that type of "involuntary movements" and he reminded me of Michael J Fox. I must assume he had some type of malady like Parkinson's or turrets (sp?).

I watched him climb on his motorcycle and ride off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Yeah ida taken a step outta range as well. Was he wearing a patch? Like any kind of biker gang stuff? Sounds dumb but I know a few of those types and they all carry stuff like that. Open carry is a good way for them to keep from gettin in trouble while still having a nice lethal weapon on them.

The uncontrollable movements are called "Dyskinesia".

My late father suffered from Parkinson's Disease and the jerky motions are actually a side effect from the medications. Without the meds Parkinson's will freeze the muscles so there is no movement at all. No standing from a seated position or walking etc. After PD progresses the sufferer usually succumbs to pneumonia. Their throat muscles are so weak they get food and beverages into the lungs developing into pneumonia.

Yeah play it safe. Poor guy.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

That really could have been a number of things...medical or chemical. You did the right thing, observe and keep your distance. I don't think someone with Parkinsons can safely ride a bike, because of the jerky movements. Maybe I'm wrong
    Toorop likes this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

It was very subtle, I don't think most of the other customers even noticed.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

One of the guys I ride with sometimes usually carries a large fixed-blade knife on his belt. He's a patched MC member.

It's legal here, and your response is not unlike those who encounter open-carry folks and notice their sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    One of the guys I ride with sometimes usually carries a large fixed-blade knife on his belt. He's a patched MC member.

It's legal here, and your response is not unlike those who encounter open-carry folks and notice their sidearm.
    I was thinking the same thing, glad I don't have an involuntary twitch.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I've seen similar type movements from people when I was a LEO but they ended up being on crack.

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    That really could have been a number of things...medical or chemical. You did the right thing, observe and keep your distance. I don't think someone with Parkinsons can safely ride a bike, because of the jerky movements. Maybe I'm wrong
    It might not have been medical, but he might have been under the influence. I have seen a few bikers wearing knives, heavy flashlights, and other items which can double as a weapon. Be careful around those types.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    It might not have been medical, but he might have been under the influence. I have seen a few bikers wearing knives, heavy flashlights, and other items which can double as a weapon. Be careful around those types.
    I am a biker and don't bother with any of that crap. I just carry a gun. It doubles as a weapon, too.
    First Sgt, accessbob, PEF and 1 others like this.

From what I understand the bikers who sport a 3-part patch are the outlaw clubs whereas all other's are social.
    With respect to Parkingson's they have been experimenting with placing electrodes in the brain to help control the tremors.
    Electrode Placement Key to Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Patients - US News and World Report
    My first reaction would have been substance abuse too.
    Last edited by Caertaker; April 3rd, 2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    From what I understand the bikers who sport a 3-part patch are the outlaw clubs whereas all other's are social.
    Not quite true. There many three-piece patched clubs that are for LEOs, military, and other groups. To be legitimate, however, their colors (three piece design) must be approved by the dominant club in the area to avoid trouble. The dominant club in my area is the Hells Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Not quite true. To be legitimate, however, their colors (three piece design) must be approved by the dominant club in the area to avoid trouble. The dominant club in my area is the Hells Angels.
    I don't watch TV much but I'd watch a reality based show on one of those review boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I don't watch TV much but I'd watch a reality based show on one of those review boards.
    Ahh, it's not THAT big of a deal. I was sitting chatting with a Hells Angels patch just this Saturday. Nice guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links