My first really bright orange alert situation.

This is a discussion on My first really bright orange alert situation. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shorter version: I was walking with my girlfriend when I turned around and noted four oddly-dressed individuals on the other side of the street. Whew ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My first really bright orange alert situation.

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Shorter version: I was walking with my girlfriend when I turned around and noted four oddly-dressed individuals on the other side of the street. Whew - glad we're safe.
    Okemo likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    New Member Array Maxbonecutte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    4
    Thankfully others read and retained the knowledge that they were walking up behind us to the point that they were close enough to let them by. I do hope that in the future you do not find yourself in a situation where your thoughts turn to the need for possible self defense only to be sarcastically sniped upon revealing your tale.

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbonecutte View Post
    my SA kicks in to hi gear as I notice from across the street behind us (I kid you not) four masked men walking up behind us.
    Sorry I was unable to "retain" the knowledge they were behind you when you stated "from across the street".

    It's not my retention skills that need work.
    Okemo likes this.

  5. #19
    Ex Member Array barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    under a rock in area 51
    Posts
    2,548
    I take a lot from what you said and that’s good you noticed then but what scares me is you GF didn't see any men. She needs a serious awakening; for someone not to notice 4 men coming up on them has a serious problem. She would have been an easy target for a multitude of things like rape or a mugging.
    She needs to be more aware of her surrounding

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbonecutte View Post
    Thankfully others read and retained the knowledge that they were walking up behind us to the point that they were close enough to let them by. I do hope that in the future you do not find yourself in a situation where your thoughts turn to the need for possible self defense only to be sarcastically sniped upon revealing your tale.
    Sorry, the newbs usually catch attitude from a couple of the DC forum vets (no one in particular, I have seen it from several).... the same thing happened to me when I first started posting. Don't let it discourage you from sticking around.
    Last edited by Badey; April 3rd, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: clarify point
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

  7. #21
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    There is an important point buried in the "sarcasm": If you're going to tote around a lethal weapon, you have to have more than SA. You have to start working on your entire safety/defensive mindset.

    It's not:

    - guy in a hoodie - grab for my gun.
    - see a shadow - grab for my gun.
    - approached by a vagrant - grab for my gun.

    If your only tool is a hammer, all your uncomfortable encounters will look like nails.

    Once you fire your gun, you can't get that bullet back. It's deadly serious. You need to have more tools in your security arsenal, and the best one is your brain. That, and the knowledge that a firearm is not an omnipotent talisman.

    Sorry if you felt I was hard on you.
    sgb likes this.

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member
    Array accessbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,379
    I just bought some pepper spray so I have another tool with me.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array yz9890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    There is an important point buried in the "sarcasm": If you're going to tote around a lethal weapon, you have to have more than SA. You have to start working on your entire safety/defensive mindset.

    It's not:

    - guy in a hoodie - grab for my gun.
    - see a shadow - grab for my gun.
    - approached by a vagrant - grab for my gun.

    If your only tool is a hammer, all your uncomfortable encounters will look like nails.

    Once you fire your gun, you can't get that bullet back. It's deadly serious. You need to have more tools in your security arsenal, and the best one is your brain. That, and the knowledge that a firearm is not an omnipotent talisman.

    Sorry if you felt I was hard on you.
    it's not difficult to make points like those without a condescending tone. we're all friends here.

  10. #24
    Member Array MBRIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    wow I would expect more from a "Distinguished Member" such as MadMac to not tear down a new poster and encourage him on tips to do better on future encounters. You could have come out with your final post initially as to not come across as a JAG.

  11. #25
    New Member Array Maxbonecutte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    4
    I have to say that the tips that madmac gave are great, thank you. As for my GF not noticing, her ex-husband is a Chicago cop! Guess it didnt rub off. She and i have talked about it already and we are working on getting her SA switched on.

  12. #26
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    wow I would expect more from a "Distinguished Member" such as MadMac to not tear down a new poster and encourage him on tips to do better on future encounters. You could have come out with your final post initially as to not come across as a JAG.
    I have a "Distinguished Member" badge I wear on my coat lapel. Don't make me whip on my sash, too.

    Thanks for noticing, but I was never a Judge Advocate General in the military.
    Badey likes this.

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    There is an important point buried in the "sarcasm": If you're going to tote around a lethal weapon, you have to have more than SA. You have to start working on your entire safety/defensive mindset.

    It's not:

    - guy in a hoodie - grab for my gun.
    - see a shadow - grab for my gun.
    - approached by a vagrant - grab for my gun.

    If your only tool is a hammer, all your uncomfortable encounters will look like nails.

    Once you fire your gun, you can't get that bullet back. It's deadly serious. You need to have more tools in your security arsenal, and the best one is your brain. That, and the knowledge that a firearm is not an omnipotent talisman.

    Sorry if you felt I was hard on you.
    Maxbonecutte, I do not often agree with Mac, However on this I do. This is some pretty good advise. Your firearm is a tool, a tool that you must learn to use in a proper manner. Not every situation calls for the gun. I would count this as a learning experience...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  14. #28
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Maxbonecutte, I do not ofter agree with Mac, However on this I do. ...
    I think you and I agree on more things than you suspect.

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I think you and I agree on more things than you suspect.
    To be honest, that does surprise me..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  16. #30
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    All I'm going to say is that some people may feel that MadMac's sharp, often acidic tongue to be an acquired taste. There is often great words of wisdom in what he posts.

    Not everyone's personality is going to match what you believe to be a civil tone. I don't read any malice into his comments. However, if you take a look at his user name, it may give you a little insight into who is the man behind the name.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •