My first really bright orange alert situation.

This is a discussion on My first really bright orange alert situation. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious as to where this alleged incident occurred?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My first really bright orange alert situation.

sgb
    I'm curious as to where this alleged incident occurred?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    [P]eople may feel that MadMac's sharp, often acidic tongue to be an acquired taste.
    Please be careful mixing your metonymy and your metaphor.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

So.... I'm guessing it wasn't Devo?
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Please be careful mixing your metonymy and your metaphor.
    Are you kidding me? I'm a paramedic and ex-firefighter... I throw caution to the wind and clomp around with big rubber boots!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do agree with MadMac here. We here do not really understand the mindset of the newby here on DC. Additionally, some people are very dramatic. So, from the story, it is obvious the OP felt danger, but do not know how we would feel based upon being inserted in the situation. Experience goes a long way in determining how we respond to a given situation.

It is just as prudent to make sure that we help people who are new here understand the responsibility of carrying that weapon, and the need to temper our responses with good judgement, mores that than an " atta boy" everytime someone posts about getting jittery and reaching for the gun.

Help groups are for back slapping. Forums are for discussion and exposure of all possibilities.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

there are really no issues being debated here. there's no side to take as there's a consensus.

information and opinions are better received and evaluated when the sender delivers them without demeaning the audience. if you force people to sift through your crap to find meaning in your post, you're losing some of your audience. that's especially a shame when the sender's info is potentially very helpful as it is here.

I cannot fault your reaction, you are responsible for yourself your GF and the friend you met. 4 we will say fashion challenged guys come in your direction with unknown intentions. Being prepared to respond with a gun is not a major overreaction given the totality of the described situation. I agree you should consider adding tools to the toolbox but 4 vs 1 with 2 additional innocents to protect seems like pepper spray and martial arts may not cut it.

My hand is now on my gun still hidden in my pocket

So I guess the fact that his gun was in his pocket where having his hand on it is not obvious compared to on his belt or a shoulder rig where it would be means he was half a step from shooting the guys up. He also said "bright orange" not red from that I would guess he had his hand on his pocket gun jic. From nothing in his story did get the feeling that he thought he had a close call just that he had some bad feelings about the guys. Honestly if I had four masked men approaching me from behind weather on the same or opposite side of the street would put me on high aleart unless it was Halloween or something. When it comes down to it he didn't wip back his coat half draw his gun and say in a commanding voice for them to stop of hell shoot like some people seem to believe. I feel he was prudent, stayed calm and didn't overreact. Now if his gun was on his belt or somewhere where having a hand on it was more obvious then in his pocket I would agree it would have been an overreaction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links