Active school shooter response - for unarmed. - Page 2

Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

This is a discussion on Active school shooter response - for unarmed. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could give a simple and straightforward answer, but I'd probably be violating forum rules regarding political discussion....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

I could give a simple and straightforward answer, but I'd probably be violating forum rules regarding political discussion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One of the related videos is on Columbine, and you can hear the teacher yelling to the students to get under their desks. In light of this video, clearly you could not do anything worse than be dispersed throughout the room in line of sight.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This should be mandatory viewing for every classroom on the planet.
    Should. But will never happen as long as they have the "it will never happen here" type of mind set
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Most schools preparation for an active shooter scenario is to lock down the school. Basically I was taught that teachers should lock their classroom doors and students should basically cower and wait to be shot.

I always said that if I knew the shooter was in another part of the building I would be getting out as soon as possible.

I'm not waiting for some psycho to come kill me!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I posted this a while ago, but I thought it would be a relevant reminder.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Excellent (IF) practiced regularly by students and teachers.
    One seminar may be better than nothing, though I seriously doubt they will remember when or if a crisis strikes.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    It's better than nothing, which is exactly what most schools have right now.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    One of the related videos is on Columbine, and you can hear the teacher yelling to the students to get under their desks. In light of this video, clearly you could not do anything worse than be dispersed throughout the room in line of sight.
    Actually, being dispersed would be better than being bunched together and huddling in a closet like some during the most recent shooting. At least then the shooter would have to target each one individually.

What you saw in the video is just a fraction of what is taught in the program, so please don't lose sight of that before criticizing.

It is a complete program designed to be adopted by schools and or school districts in which part of the program includes remedial training and drills on a scheduled basis. It's not like a one day deal where they go in and show people how to do it once and that's it. There should be at least a quarterly drill for students and faculty alike.

Ideally, a school will also invest to have a couple of staff members trained as ACT certified instructors so they can actually adminster the training and program on site in the school in which they work.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That info is awesome, very basic and easy to employ.

Sponsor
    Right on. Grab the bull by the horns.
    Go with the glow

Re: Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

I'm glad this old post was resurrected....

That said, it won't work for K-5 grades like CN.

Can't see a bunch of 6-8 year olds with crayons and finger paints stopping an active shooter.

The school in CN. was locked. The gunman broke in. No armed guards, no armed teachers. A building full of victims.

For a reasonable working solution, we can increase the size of the "GUN FREE ZONE" sign, OR we can look to the Israelis, who arm adults in the schools, you decide.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I think this is a good program, but I wonder about its efficacy if the shooter knows where the defenders will be. The video presumes the shooter will barge right in.

Given that most shooters (not all as we have seen this week) are students of the target school, it is probable that they will have gone through this training. It is also probable they will be familiar with the room layouts in the school. If they have been so trained and know where the defenders will be, they will know where to shoot for maximum effect. If the shooter takes out the two defenders how long will it take the rest to understand what happened and react accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I think the program is good and, even in the worst case would dramatically reduce the body count. I do wonder, however, if/how it deals with a shooter who knows the defense/ambush plan.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links