Defensive Carry banner

Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  ksholder 
#1 ·
#13 ·
Take charge and mandate this into your own life. If you have kids, make them watch it. If you have grandkids or nieces or nephews or school age cousins, get with their parents and plead your case.. as to how passionate and convicted you are about the importance of this information. If anyone here is passionate and convicted, don't let this turn into another lost opportunity to step up as your child's real teacher and surrender your responsibility to the state... Just another crazy conspiracy theory of mine ;)

Reactions: Spirit51 and Bark'n
#3 ·
Interesting video! Thanks for posting the link. This type of training should be taught in every grade school, high school, and college in the country! :yup:

However, too many pacifist sheep would object to their kids learning it--they'd rather bury their heads in the sand and believe it will never happen to them!:rolleyes:

Reactions: CharlesMorri
#4 ·
Agree completely with the mandatory viewing, with the following added:

I remind all students that they are in a room filled with weapons. Books, chairs, fans, staplers, pens and pencils if necessary, along with fists and feet. After the initial gunshots outside a room, the shooter will be dealing with lots of mental processes, and surprise will be on THEIR side, not the shooter, if they just take the initiative and become the predator and not the prey if the shooter enters their room and they are ready.

School shooters expect people to be hiding in fear, not ready to pounce and attack with deadly intent, and that alone should assist them in overwhelming any shooter if they are not caught in the open unaware.

#5 ·
Outstanding video and training. I agree it should be mandatory viewing, but probably won't be.

#8 ·
It is good stuff. However, it is to much for our watered down, sissy society....

#6 ·
I could see it being a great defensive tool in most shootings since the shooters don't actually seem to have much training in searching and clearing rooms/buildings.I believe the scenario he set up with 2 females taking the shooter to the ground was excellent since it proved you don't have to be a big strong guy to take somebody down.

#7 ·
The problem is that we have raised the last couple of generations with the "violence doesn't solve anything" mindset. Responding to a violent situation with properly applied counter-violence is utterly foreign to most Americans under the age of 30 or 40.

Excellent video! I intend to forward it to EVERYONE I know.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

#10 ·
I'll have to give my university a little credit (not much, since all is going to be inferior to being able to fight fire with fire), while we didn't watch this video- their policy is somewhat similar.

Stack stuff by the door, throw stuff at the guy, tackle him, turn the lights off, get off to the sides of the doorway or if you aren't trapped- escape by any means necessary. What we were told isn't as well thought out as far as an overt plan but what he was saying would be very similar to my response should we have an active shooter on campus, since it's against university policy for me to carry. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of the poster that the University has around campus, though every time I see one it makes me mad that I can't carry.

I will say, if I'm in a position to escape, I'll throw a desk through a window and run like a gazelle long before I ever go hand to hand with a guy that has a gun when all I have is pepper spray, a pocketknife and a taclight.

#12 ·
Looks like a very good program. I checked out the website. There are several different curriculum offered. I think I may introduce it to our Sheriff and school board to consider for next year.

Our local LEO's train for active shooters in the schools, but I feel the schools need their own curriculum as well.

Thanks for the post!

#16 ·
I could give a simple and straightforward answer, but I'd probably be violating forum rules regarding political discussion.

#23 ·
Actually, being dispersed would be better than being bunched together and huddling in a closet like some during the most recent shooting. At least then the shooter would have to target each one individually.

#19 ·
Most schools preparation for an active shooter scenario is to lock down the school. Basically I was taught that teachers should lock their classroom doors and students should basically cower and wait to be shot.

I always said that if I knew the shooter was in another part of the building I would be getting out as soon as possible.

I'm not waiting for some psycho to come kill me!

#21 ·
Excellent (IF) practiced regularly by students and teachers.
One seminar may be better than nothing, though I seriously doubt they will remember when or if a crisis strikes.

#24 ·
What you saw in the video is just a fraction of what is taught in the program, so please don't lose sight of that before criticizing.

It is a complete program designed to be adopted by schools and or school districts in which part of the program includes remedial training and drills on a scheduled basis. It's not like a one day deal where they go in and show people how to do it once and that's it. There should be at least a quarterly drill for students and faculty alike.

Ideally, a school will also invest to have a couple of staff members trained as ACT certified instructors so they can actually adminster the training and program on site in the school in which they work.

#27 ·
I'm glad this old post was resurrected....

That said, it won't work for K-5 grades like CN.

Can't see a bunch of 6-8 year olds with crayons and finger paints stopping an active shooter.

The school in CN. was locked. The gunman broke in. No armed guards, no armed teachers. A building full of victims.

For a reasonable working solution, we can increase the size of the "GUN FREE ZONE" sign, OR we can look to the Israelis, who arm adults in the schools, you decide.

#28 ·
I think this is a good program, but I wonder about its efficacy if the shooter knows where the defenders will be. The video presumes the shooter will barge right in.

Given that most shooters (not all as we have seen this week) are students of the target school, it is probable that they will have gone through this training. It is also probable they will be familiar with the room layouts in the school. If they have been so trained and know where the defenders will be, they will know where to shoot for maximum effect. If the shooter takes out the two defenders how long will it take the rest to understand what happened and react accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I think the program is good and, even in the worst case would dramatically reduce the body count. I do wonder, however, if/how it deals with a shooter who knows the defense/ambush plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.