Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

This is a discussion on Active school shooter response - for unarmed. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The school shooting got me thinking on how teachers or students could/should respond in a shooting. I found this former Israeli special forces guy teaching ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

Active school shooter response - for unarmed.

The school shooting got me thinking on how teachers or students could/should respond in a shooting. I found this former Israeli special forces guy teaching some students. Has some good tips.

Has anyone talked to their kids about this stuff?

Last Resort Active Shooter Survival Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube
    Mike1956, mano3, P5 and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This should be mandatory viewing for every classroom on the planet.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Interesting video! Thanks for posting the link. This type of training should be taught in every grade school, high school, and college in the country!

However, too many pacifist sheep would object to their kids learning it--they'd rather bury their heads in the sand and believe it will never happen to them!
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Agree completely with the mandatory viewing, with the following added:

I remind all students that they are in a room filled with weapons. Books, chairs, fans, staplers, pens and pencils if necessary, along with fists and feet. After the initial gunshots outside a room, the shooter will be dealing with lots of mental processes, and surprise will be on THEIR side, not the shooter, if they just take the initiative and become the predator and not the prey if the shooter enters their room and they are ready.

School shooters expect people to be hiding in fear, not ready to pounce and attack with deadly intent, and that alone should assist them in overwhelming any shooter if they are not caught in the open unaware.
    Kadelic and CharlesMorri like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Outstanding video and training. I agree it should be mandatory viewing, but probably won't be.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I could see it being a great defensive tool in most shootings since the shooters don't actually seem to have much training in searching and clearing rooms/buildings.I believe the scenario he set up with 2 females taking the shooter to the ground was excellent since it proved you don't have to be a big strong guy to take somebody down.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    The problem is that we have raised the last couple of generations with the "violence doesn't solve anything" mindset. Responding to a violent situation with properly applied counter-violence is utterly foreign to most Americans under the age of 30 or 40.

Excellent video! I intend to forward it to EVERYONE I know.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Outstanding video and training. I agree it should be mandatory viewing, but probably won't be.
    It is good stuff. However, it is to much for our watered down, sissy society....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I agree, it should be taught in schools, and every work place should have it as part of a newcomer orientation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'll have to give my university a little credit (not much, since all is going to be inferior to being able to fight fire with fire), while we didn't watch this video- their policy is somewhat similar.

Stack stuff by the door, throw stuff at the guy, tackle him, turn the lights off, get off to the sides of the doorway or if you aren't trapped- escape by any means necessary. What we were told isn't as well thought out as far as an overt plan but what he was saying would be very similar to my response should we have an active shooter on campus, since it's against university policy for me to carry. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of the poster that the University has around campus, though every time I see one it makes me mad that I can't carry.

I will say, if I'm in a position to escape, I'll throw a desk through a window and run like a gazelle long before I ever go hand to hand with a guy that has a gun when all I have is pepper spray, a pocketknife and a taclight.

I was pleasantly surprised. Though he did not get into the dealing with casualties, a strong attack is effective. Fear is what allows the large casualty counts. This should be part of the training in schools.

Looks like a very good program. I checked out the website. There are several different curriculum offered. I think I may introduce it to our Sheriff and school board to consider for next year.

Our local LEO's train for active shooters in the schools, but I feel the schools need their own curriculum as well.

Thanks for the post!
    Spirit51 and Hoganbeg like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This should be mandatory viewing for every classroom on the planet.
    Take charge and mandate this into your own life. If you have kids, make them watch it. If you have grandkids or nieces or nephews or school age cousins, get with their parents and plead your case.. as to how passionate and convicted you are about the importance of this information. If anyone here is passionate and convicted, don't let this turn into another lost opportunity to step up as your child's real teacher and surrender your responsibility to the state... Just another crazy conspiracy theory of mine ;)
    Spirit51 and Bark'n like this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

It blows my mind when people think that a college campus is somehow safer than the real world. SO safe that stripping one of their carry rights is what it has become to. I dont see it any safer than any other average part of town

Good vid. Tell me why we will listen to a foreign "expert" and not use our own common sense?

I mean the Israelis seem to understand not being a victim. Why don't we?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links