Gunfight on my street

This is a discussion on Gunfight on my street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would think twice about running out the front door with a gun of any kind. its a great way to get shot by every ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Gunfight on my street

I would think twice about running out the front door with a gun of any kind. its a great way to get shot by every one;good,bad or the cops ... its hard to tell who the players are
    Bark'n and BkCo1 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'd be curious to know how you could claim self-defense in court if you gun down some machismo greaser down at the end of the block with an AR/AK.
    Texas law... You can defend a third party as if you were defending yourself.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:

(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and

(2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.
    CommonMan101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaterSalad View Post
    Texas law... You can defend a third party as if you were defending yourself.
    So, somebody down the street is firing their weapon...you don't really know who they're shooting at or what's going on..... Try to spin THAT into your self defense....er defense.

Sounds like somebody trying to twist the SYGL to suit their needs.
    MadMac likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Personally, I applaud. Were my wife outside when I heard gunshots going off I'd be out the door with my shotgun in a heartbeat to locate and secure her.
    Badey and carracer like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Personally, I applaud. Were my wife outside when I heard gunshots going off I'd be out the door with my shotgun in a heartbeat to locate and secure her.
    OP: "Funny how we all went out to our front yards to see what was happening - and then no one stepped off their property. Not even me."

Don't disagree at all, but perhaps you missed the part where he, his son, and the neighbors all hung around outside to watch the gunfight. He didn't go out to secure his son and immediately return indoors. I can't for the life of me see how any good comes of that. Sure, you can be a witness, but I'm not risking my life or those of my family to play that volunteer role. I'm in the house, doors locked, behind the couch with everyone in the house - calling 911.

Say you're a good witness to this event. The OP said neighbors were involved in the shootout. This wasn't some basic self-defense shooting, it was simply a shootout as far as I can tell. Now you can rat out your neighbors in court. Say they send the perps to jail. Now you have angry neighbors who know you were a witness who helped put cousin Vinnie in jail. What does that do for your continued safety?
    Bark'n likes this.

Apparently I skipped a line. I don't applaud that part. I'd secure her, then get the heck out of dodge.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I certainly can see the pshychology of the decison to go outside reacting to "what the?" when you heard shots. I agree with the comments that staying inside would be the better play. Glad you are OK.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

OP: "Funny how we all went out to our front yards to see what was happening - and then no one stepped off their property. Not even me."

Don't disagree at all, but perhaps you missed the part where he, his son, and the neighbors all hung around outside to watch the gunfight. He didn't go out to secure his son and immediately return indoors. I can't for the life of me see how any good comes of that. Sure, you can be a witness, but I'm not risking my life or those of my family to play that volunteer role. I'm in the house, doors locked, behind the couch with everyone in the house - calling 911.

Say you're a good witness to this event. The OP said neighbors were involved in the shootout. This wasn't some basic self-defense shooting, it was simply a shootout as far as I can tell. Now you can rat out your neighbors in court. Say they send the perps to jail. Now you have angry neighbors who know you were a witness who helped put cousin Vinnie in jail. What does that do for your continued safety?
    I apparently missed that part as well. I think that staying outside was a mistake, unless he was still looking for his son.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    So, somebody down the street is firing their weapon...you don't really know who they're shooting at or what's going on..... Try to spin THAT into your self defense....er defense.

This......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Go outside, with a concealed handgun (you do not know who is out there or what is going on - no need to get shot by mistake), to get your son. Grab him, retreat into the house. Call 911. Prepare to defend house. Do NOT stand outside gawking.

If your house is poorly constructed, it still offers concealment, and some cover, especially from a handgun. Do you have a basement? Maybe a room you can reinforce with some heavy furniture or bookcases? (books do a good job of stopping bullets - you can get them used real cheap)
    MadMac and Bark'n like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

It's bad enough that CC permit holders have been put in a bad light recently in the media with all that's going on in Florida and the SYGL relation; now we have own members of our community pointing fingers and ignoring the fact that the OP stated that his son had just recently stepped out and he was worried that he may have been involved. I do not agree with the choice to run outside in search of him, but I can certainly sympathize with it. I do not think that he was, nor is it apparent that he was, out for blood.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

The OP was not the one to suggest getting an AR/AK nor was he the one that quoted TX law. He was not out looking to find something to suit his needs. The major error was hanging outside. And like someone said already, I would go out concealed so I would not be mistaken for a BG.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    It's bad enough that CC permit holders have been put in a bad light recently in the media with all that's going on in Florida and the SYGL relation; now we have own members of our community pointing fingers and ignoring the fact that the OP stated that his son had just recently stepped out and he was worried that he may have been involved. I do not agree with the choice to run outside in search of him, but I can certainly sympathize with it. I do not think that he was, nor is it apparent that he was, out for blood.
    That was never the issue. We all would have done the same. What we are discussing is the fact he didn't scoop up his son and retreat back inside. He (and supposedly his son) hung around outside to watch the shootout with the neighbors. Apparently, just for laughs.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    That was never the issue. We all would have done the same. What we are discussing is the fact he didn't scoop up his son and retreat back inside. He (and supposedly his son) hung around outside to watch the shootout with the neighbors. Apparently, just for laughs.
    "Sounds like somebody trying to twist the SYGL to suit their needs."

I respect that, but the above sentence was my main concern.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Goodness...start a neighborhood watch and get ph#'s and such...keep contact. Sounds like drug related. That way
    anyone sees suspected druggie activity, can call cops and let them run the buyers off. The sellers will leave if they
    don't have any buyers...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links