Gunfight on my street

This is a discussion on Gunfight on my street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To MadMac and a few others: While I did suggest he take an AR/AK outside, in my thinking, (1). he knew there was significant gunfire ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Gunfight on my street

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    To MadMac and a few others: While I did suggest he take an AR/AK outside, in my thinking, (1). he knew there was significant gunfire outside, (2). He knew his son was out there--in potential danger--not knowing what was going on and out of parental concern, he chose to leave his home to find and possibly rescue his son. I totally agree with the comments about not standing around watching the "show."

But, there are different perspectives here--yes, going out carrying a concealed weapon will potentially prevent fatal misunderstandings. Yet, on the other hand, if I am going out to try and secure my child, possibly into a gunfight, do I want to bring a pistol to a potential rifle fight? (remember, the OP did NOT know what was going on when he went out to get his son........

Nor am I advocating that the OP go attempt to be LEO or to engage in gunfire other than what may be necessary to rescue/protect his son.
    Badey and CommonMan101 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Some people have all the fun. The only action in my neighborhood is when the deer annoy me by pooping in my front yard...or my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    Some people have all the fun. The only action in my neighborhood is when the deer annoy me by pooping in my front yard...or my driveway.
    Or the bears on my deck.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Or the bears on my deck.
    Leave the AK for that and stick with the slugs :) .. Gunfights down the block.. and potential stray rounds don't sound like fun to me.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

The son was 25 and down the street...hopefully he is legally carrying too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    To MadMac and a few others: While I did suggest he take an AR/AK outside, in my thinking, (1). he knew there was significant gunfire outside, (2). He knew his son was out there--in potential danger--[U].
    You'd think a 25 year old "kid" standing out on the porch for a smoke would have sense enough to duck back into the house when he heard gunfire. If it was one of mine, they'd be back in the house long before I could grab the family shottie.

Side note: his cigarettes are statistically far more likely to kill him than gunfire from his local recreational pharma dealers.

...just sayin'...
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Without trying to address every question of every angle posed so far, I'll add some more info.

My son was not "secured" until about one minute after the guy that I saw shooting had left. Until then I had no idea if he was laying over there bleeding to death out of my sight. I wasn't going anywhere but I did want to know what everyone else would do. I certainly don't expect everyone to do the same. I was operating on no real info other than what I heard and saw, which was very limited. A bit surprised some would leave family outside and hide but everyone is different, thank God. Who knows what is ultimately "right"?

Today I talked to 3 neighbors that were here when it happened. Two of them said they were armed and came out for much the same reason as me. To put a stop to it if we had to. One lives on that corner and said he "was ready to shoot them all and told them so". I never saw him come out in the short time I was out there, though. The concensus was we weren't going to just tolerate these guys doing this. Come to find out my shooter has been living elsewhere for a while and only visits his mama a day or two at a time. We told his mom it would be a good thing if he stayed away because he almost got shot by one of us, too.

My son has filled me in on a lot more but I find much of it superfulous. This was a culmination of a previous fight's loser getting beat so quickly and hard he was convinced he was jumped by others while trying to fight this one guy the day before? Back and forth led to Mr defeated pulling his pistol and firing at the car of the guy he was mad at. Then things started getting all shooty all around their circle jerk.

The one that I saw drive away, who lives around the corner, came around yesterday and told neighbor #3 he was never there. My son saw him so he's flat out lying about that. I want to see his car now. He said the police searched his car. With him lying already I give his words no weight but since the police have his info, maybe they did? Someone else told neighbor #3 that someone in that same guy's back seat was shot in the butt during the shooting. I'm still a bit stunned that so many shots were not hits. Where the heck did they go? they weren't that far apart when it started. Even corner guy said he had no hits on his house or cars and it should have been in the line of fire for 3 of the shooters.

My son and I and have noticed more squad cars than usual the last two days. So there's that at least.

And BugDude, that has been our conversation. He has been reluctant about the subject of carrying and now it's front and center as perfectly reasonable. I think he will be before Summer is over. I never pressure only support. I don't think carrying is for everyone. My family has gone from none carrying in 2009 to only 3 not carrying. Though my son that's a cop has made it much easier. After him it was like a floodgate - I know current politics had an influence too. He's pretty much no-nonsense so the people in his life get it pretty quick he's not a gun nut - just someone who wants himself and others to live if threatened. Seeing his wife change her attitude was something I didn't expect. All it took was a local cop knocking on her house door to her garage that they thought was closed up. The fright she had as her 5 year old son answered a door that shouldn't be being knocked on was enough.

Geez MadMac. I'm gonna say it would be easier to just dump everything your posting. It doesn't apply. You're way off of the reality that was. What you describe fits nothing of that day. Please stop trying. By your last post you're either not really reading things or your ability to comprehend what you're reading is woeful.

The whole show was over within 20 seconds with none of the players left around. My son walked up soon after. We did go inside after a few minutes of exchanges with everyone outside and the squads left.

Gawking is not what was going on. Yeesh. Is it gawking every time we talk about it after it's over? Like today? Next week? When can we say it's over and it's not gawking anymore? Just stop. You're not really contributing anything here since you apparantly don't understand what's being said in the posts anyway.

Right or not, the men on our street will prevail. Not these punks. If all we ever did was hide then we have lost our street. I know I'm not alone where it counts - the people actually here. If you were my neighbor it would be good to know what you are willing to do and not do. No judgement just good to know. We help each other here and while no one has been burgularized since the 90's we caught a copper thief stripping a vacant house last year.

===============
    Chaplain Scott, I agree that a hand gun would have been the worst choice of all my guns. Even my 22 rifle would have been superior. The likelihood of missing with my Glock20 at 70 yards with homes as a background was not a shot I would have wanted to take. It was luck that the 870 was in my hands and it was great except for only having 4 slugs with me. Even greater that it was never used.
    TaterSalad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    I'm still a bit stunned that so many shots were not hits. Where the heck did they go? they weren't that far apart when it started.
    Happens all the time. That's the difference in shooting at the range and not being able to miss your target if you tried and being in an actual gunfight.

Time and time again, documented accounts of people standing face to face and both emptying their magazines and no one is hit.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Geez MadMac. I'm gonna say it would be easier to just dump everything your posting. It doesn't apply. You're way off of the reality that was.
    Forgive me for not posting what you wanted to hear, Shakespeare.

Here it is: Go get 'em, dude. Well done. You sure showed them their rascals that you and you're kin weren't gonna put up with there shenanigans. Hears to you, brother.

Sorry. I hope my "proper" response makes you feel better. Our job hear is to validate whatever you and you're kin done did.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 5th, 2012 at 07:29 AM.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I think you did the right thing, without the knowledge or threat I would have went indside and called 911 once I knew my child was safe...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Common- You went through an emotional experience, and I think you acted appropriately. I am very glad that your worst fears were not realized and your son is ok. I am glad that you presented an armed defensive presence on behalf of your family and your neighborhood. But don't take too much of what you see on the internet to heart. In the realm of philosophy, pragmatism is a bad word. Ideals have little to do with practical application and discussions generally have little to do with real life. So, thank you for sharing. People are making a discussion because they want to be mentally prepared for what they may have to do in a stressful and emotional situation. So don't second guess yourself. And don't take discussion as a criticism. Some people are forgetting that others are looking to this community for genuine, objective insight and you probably have a lot more to lend in the mere telling of your story than most.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    10-15 people out on the street and you were the only one prepared to do something about it? Thumbs up buddy, but its time for a neighborhood discussion on home security and not doing anything stupid like going into the street when the OK Corral comes to town just to see who's winning. Since this is Texas, I assume your not the only one armed, right?

Today I talked to 3 neighbors that were here when it happened. Two of them said they were armed and came out for much the same reason as me. To put a stop to it if we had to.
    First I thought going out with a shotgun and hanging out for a minute or so was not the best but OK or you inthe situation. Now you say you and your neighbors came out for the same reason as you "to put a stop to it"?

OK, so you and your neighbors were planning on getting into a gun battle on your street. You were not the targets. The longer you guys were gawking the longer you became targets. And from a tactical point of view a 4 shot shottie is a poor choice for a gunfight. Any thoughts about your rounds missing and hitting a bystander? You were not in immenint danger and whatever TX law says wouldn't the prudent thing to do would be to get your kid and get out the back door or into a safe location.
    What would happen during this gun fight the LEO's show up?

Sorry, but I need to reduce your grade on this one.

Originally Posted by TaterSalad
    Texas law... You can defend a third party as if you were defending yourself.
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    "Sounds like somebody trying to twist the SYGL to suit their needs."

I respect that, but the above sentence was my main concern.
    Don't Tread....if you read the context of my response you'd see that it wasn't to the OP who I didn't comment on about his decision to go outside at all. I was responding to MadMac who obviously thinks it'd be ok to fire away and that all would be well because of a perception of the law. I was also referring to shooting the original shooter with no evidence of what the problem was. It was a debate stance.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links