Gunfight on my street - Page 4

Gunfight on my street

This is a discussion on Gunfight on my street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Okemo ---------------- Don't Tread....if you read the context of my response you'd see that it wasn't to the OP who I didn't ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Gunfight on my street

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    ----------------

Don't Tread....if you read the context of my response you'd see that it wasn't to the OP who I didn't comment on about his decision to go outside at all. I was responding to MadMac who obviously thinks it'd be ok to fire away and that all would be well because of a perception of the law. I was also referring to shooting the original shooter with no evidence of what the problem was. It was a debate stance.
    ughhhhh....that wasn't me, boyo. Don't be a hater....

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Don't Tread....if you read the context of my response you'd see that it wasn't to the OP who I didn't comment on about his decision to go outside at all. I was responding to MadMac who obviously thinks it'd be ok to fire away and that all would be well because of a perception of the law. I was also referring to shooting the original shooter with no evidence of what the problem was. It was a debate stance.
    Duly noted, my apologies. The op had no reason to open fire in this scenario.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Folks, let us please dispense with any labeling and carry ourselves, and treat others, with dignity and respect. Cheers.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Yet, on the other hand, if I am going out to try and secure my child, possibly into a gunfight, do I want to bring a pistol to a potential rifle fight? (remember, the OP did NOT know what was going on when he went out to get his son........

Nor am I advocating that the OP go attempt to be LEO or to engage in gunfire other than what may be necessary to rescue/protect his son.
    Right On Chaplin Scott, If as in the OP's case I have to go toward gun fire, you can bet I am going to want as much firepower as I can get my hands on! Plus the OP also mentioned that he grabbed the shotgun because it was first thing available in a hurry.

In regards to the post that mentions that it's pushing a SYGL self defense scenario if the other shooter happens to be 75 yards away, if he's starts sending lead towards me or my family, it will not matter at what distance he is from me. The "Reasonable Man" in me is going to fear for my life and I will be returning fire, provided I have a good and identifiable target and clear backdrop.

You simply have to love how so many of these "scenario" threads go completely off the rails as posters start distorting the original scenario so they can post about how they can justify shooting somebody.

"IF a guy does this, and IF I do that, and IF I have a rifle, and IF he was shooting at me, and IF I had an identifiable target, and IF I have a backstop, and IF....

...by God, then I'll shoot him down like a dog....."

Last edited by MadMac; April 5th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Okemo and rammerjammer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You simply have to love how so many of these "scenario" threads go completely off the rails as posters start distorting the original scenario so they can post about they can justify shooting somebody.

"IF a guy does this, and IF I do that, and IF I have a rifle, and IF he was shooting at me, and IF I had an identifiable target, and IF I have a backstop, and IF....

...by God, then I'll shoot him down like a dog....."

I half agree with you. This was not a scenario but RL. In RL you have to what if since you may not know all the details. I like to think of it like this. Shots are fired . Now what. What is my mission. In this case to go corral my son who I will outlive since he is destroying his body with cigarettes. Now that I have a goal how do i achieve it and how long do I have. That is where what if comes in. But if time is crucial and you do more than a couple of what ifs then your objective could be lost. So in the original OP post it sounds pretty straight forward. Carry concealed just in case a LEO happens to already be there you are not identified as a BG and get your chain smoking son out of danger as well as yourself. If you what if the possibility that you are going to get involved in a firefight I think you are behind the power curve right there. That brings with it more what ifs and delays your actions from the primary goal. Does that make any sense?
    Okemo likes this.

Sorry if I mixed up a Quote and referred to the wrong person as posting it. Cut and paste doesn't always work as well as intended.

And at no time do I intend to offend anybody in these threads. It does certainly irk me however when I'm labeled a troll.
    Last edited by Okemo; April 5th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Sorry if I mixed up a Quote and referred to the wrong person as posting it. Cut and paste doesn't always work as well as intended.

And at no time do I intend to offend anybody in these threads. It does certainly irk me however when I labeled a troll.
    It's OK, dude. I know you really didn't mean me.

Troll? Yeah, I'm a troll with a couple thousand posts. If you want to know my mindset regarding self-defense, there's plenty of reading. I've been called worse. It's just something people post when they refuse to admit you may actually have a point.

I'm not destroying my livelihood or the only source of support for my parents by getting all gung-ho about gunshots outside. If my son is dumb enough to smoke, he is dumb enough to get smoked (just kidding, of course). This is what I love about living in a super-liberal neighborhood. I'm probably the only armed one. I blend in well with the professor types...it's really a fantastic arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Folks, let us please dispense with any labeling and carry ourselves, and treat others, with dignity and respect. Cheers.
    Rock and Glock,

Due to me posting an excerpt of the law in regards to a question, it's been stated that I was saying, "fire away"; I never said or stated that in any way. I take great offense to anyone suggesting that I stated or implied anyone should act in an irresponsible manner.

I do consider people who attempt to put words in other peoples mouths to be trolls; when people do that it is my opinion that they are simply trying to create drama.

Further more, I don't need people correcting my English or grammar when they can't speak or use it correctly themselves.

And at no time do I intend to offend anybody in these threads.
    Sounds like somebody trying to twist the SYGL to suit their needs.
    So I post the law as stated, then you say I'm trying to twist it. You further it by saying I mean, "Fire Away"?

And I'm not supposed to be offended?

Quote Originally Posted by TaterSalad View Post
    So I post the law as stated, then you say I'm trying to twist it. You further it by saying I mean, "Fire Away"?

And I'm not supposed to be offended?
    I think you shouldn't take it so personal.

This thread is done!

Rock and Glock likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links