Gunfight on my street

This is a discussion on Gunfight on my street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shots started ringing out in strings of 5 then 3 or 4 so at a time. With maybe one second between the strings. Knowing my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Gunfight on my street

Gunfight on my street

Shots started ringing out in strings of 5 then 3 or 4 so at a time. With maybe one second between the strings. Knowing my 25 year old son had stepped out to smoke I grabbed my shotgun and quickly stepped out front.

The shots kept going and tires were squealing with motors racing as I got to my driveway and had a view. I saw one car leave on the street that Ts into ours about four houses down from me - maybe 70-75 yards. At that intersection a small guy leapt into view from behind a parked car there and squatted holding out his pistol with both hands and squeezing off several shots - maybe 6 - 10 straight down that road. I had other thoughts racing through my mind at that point instead of counting them. I can't see past the corner house after 30 yards or so his target was out of my sight - I suspected it was that car. As soon as he stopped he ran to his house. which is like 5 houses from me on my side of the block. The driver of the car I saw leaving was said to live only half a block away. Great

The police came to his house within 3-4 minutes. I swear it was less than 5 minutes total the between the two squads coming and leaving.

The street he was shooting down has only houses as background as it curves during the second block from here - AROUND A SCHOOLYARD. This was bad news.

While I had a clear shot at him while he was shooting I never even felt close to having the right to do anything. I didn't witness anything other than what I wrote here. What if someone was trying to kill him and was coming back? Discerning such things aren't such an easy thing in my book. If he started down the street and aimed at everyone one he saw - and the whole neighborhood was out by the time he stopped - then I could see putting an end to things. I kept wondering if I was watching shots that were murdering someone but felt tied to the facts I wasn't threatened and I could not see anyone he was shooting at.

The police got lots of info on this one. Seems about 15 people called besides me.

Funny how we all went out to our front yards to see what was happening - and then no one stepped off their property. Not even me.

What would you do?

2. Remove Ads

There was a complete lack of data with which to make any decision. Where did your son end up? What did he see?

Stepping out into the yard with shots ringing out everywhere might not have been the smartest move. Take cover and be prepared for if they come to your house.
    10thmtn, shooterX, BkCo1 and 4 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Stepping out into the yard with shots ringing out everywhere might not have been the smartest move. Take cover and be prepared for if they come to your house.
    I think he was stepping out to protect his son who was outside... family comes first in my book.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

He was two houses away and when he came out saw the same scene from a little closer perspective. He knew the shooter because he grew up here. Son got filled in later and said it was a street fight turned into some kind of macho fight that included the threat of shooting someone's car. He was the one who told me where the driver lived. Said everyone standing out there had pulled a pistol and that what I heard was something like 7 or 8 guns going off.
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 3rd, 2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: language

"Everywhere" would not be an apt description. That wasn't what it felt like and my neighbors reacted the same way. It was clear where it was at and that it was not coming my way. Yet, I was behind my engine and front wheel looking over my hood. But truly it didn't matter even if it was since I'll be damned if I sit by while someone's taking pot shots at my son - which didn't happen.

Sadly - nothing about my house is "cover". I could shoot 22s through my walls. Huge windows to boot. At best I have concealment other than that it's tantamount to paper mache'.

The ones engaged in the shootout? Were they adults or teenagers? If teenagers, what the heck are they doing pulling out pistols?

Sounds like someone on your block is going to be doing some jail time.

BTW... no more bad language or you'll get an infraction.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    First thought--find a new street--although I know that is not always practical/possible. You had zero information about what was going on, so you did the best thing--hunkered down and became a good wittness. Another thought here, with all those multiple shots and the distance (75 yds), leave the shotgun for inside defense and grab an AR/AK next time you venture out to the sound of gunfire...........
    MisterAvis likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

You didnt post what time of day it was? In my neighborhood kids are out thick playing on their bikes, skates etc during the daylight hours....Im not sure what the best reaction would be. But If My kids were out there Id of definitely went hot to protect them.

They shoot, I scoot...back into the house and call 911.
    I want no part of what's going on down the street.
    MadMac and goldshellback like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You did it right

With concern for your son, you went armed, maintained defensive position, determined the conflict did not immediately involve you and yours, and without further info you stayed out of the mix. News at 11:00, and best of endings, you're not in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    First thought--find a new street--although I know that is not always practical/possible. You had zero information about what was going on, so you did the best thing--hunkered down and became a good wittness. Another thought here, with all those multiple shots and the distance (75 yds), leave the shotgun for inside defense and grab an AR/AK next time you venture out to the sound of gunfire...........
    I'd be curious to know how you could claim self-defense in court if you gun down some machismo greaser down at the end of the block with an AR/AK.

I do agree with you first comment. If that happened where I lived, there would be a For Sale sign in my yard the next day.

I find it an intriguing study in human nature that all these folks (including you) decided to wander outside to watch the gunfight. Personally, once I located my son, I'm pulling him into the house, were laying behind the couch, and I am speed-dialing 911. But that's just me.
    wmhawth likes this.

I had slugs. I was a bit worried about having just four rounds. It was closest thing to me as I was working with it only 30 minutes earlier.

It was about an hour before sunset, bamfsig45. Never a good time though. Most homes around here have wood siding and are easily penetrated.

Bark'n, they were in their 20s. And I'll bet my last dollar no CHLs are involved.

Didn't realize I had said something bad until I saw the stars - thought since it wasn't there it didn't matter. Not trying to do that kind of thing on purpose. You should be able to tell that by my post history.

glad your family was alright.

my first thoughts would be to gather and secure my family and then lockdown and be ready for someone potentially trying to break into my home to hide from the police. (and call police as soon as practical)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post

Didn't realize I had said something bad until I saw the stars - thought since it wasn't there it didn't matter. Not trying to do that kind of thing on purpose. You should be able to tell that by my post history.
    I understand it wasn't intentional. You'd be surprised at the complaints we get about that though. When you post, if you see ****** in your post, just go back and edit it out and rephrase it if necessary.

You're allowed to edit your own posts within the first 24 hours of posting it. If we have to go back and do it for you, or we get a complaint from another member, you'll usually get an official warning followed by infraction points if it keep recurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.
    I was just giving you a friendly reminder.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links