Not enough gun

Not enough gun

This is a discussion on Not enough gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So about 2:30 this am I'm awakened by a noise ... not sure what the noise is, but it jarred me awake. So I get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough gun

Not enough gun

So about 2:30 this am I'm awakened by a noise ... not sure what the noise is, but it jarred me awake.

So I get up, grab the Surefire and Kahr MK9 by my bed and go to investigate ... I shut off the light to the back yard, step out on the deck and sweep the yard with the Surefire.

Nothing.

So I go back to bed, but I don't sleep that well.

About 3:45am I hear the noise again ... its a distinctive noise ... sounds like someone just knocked over something on the deck.

So I arm up and am out on the back deck again ... still nothing ... but then I hear the distinctive sound of beer bottles being clinked and I know EXACTLY where that sound comes from (guy who lives across the street from me goes through at least a case of Bud Light a week ... he prefers bottles).

So I go back through the house, kill the porch light and step out on the porch with Surefire and Kahr trained on his front yard (finger off trigger) ... THERE'S THE INTRUDER!

Black bear had his trash can in the middle of the front yard with all the trash spread out and digging through it.

As soon as my light hit him he stuck his head up and swung around to look at me ... his beady eyes glowed a bright orange (he looked possessed).

I realized that I was SERIOUSLY under gunned so I holstered the Kahr , watched the bear a couple of minutes and then went back to bed.

That does it, the .44 comes out as a bedside gun from now on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post

I realized that I was SERIOUSLY under gunned so I holstered the Kahr , watched the bear a couple of minutes and then went back to bed.

That does it, the .44 comes out as a bedside gun from now on.

sort of like trying to sink a battleship with a BB gun...
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

yes need more horsepower for a meeting like that

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Shut off the light to the back yard...>GREAT(the sooner the better(for your eyes))...>sweeping the yard with your SF(handheld light)immediately(to me) bad idea. Lit you up like an actor on stage. Gave the potential BG a great target. Ruined your night vision.

Turn off backyard light,step out and immediately put your back to the wall and just stand there. A couple minutes(or more)if necessary. When(if) you can figure out the direction that the sound is coming from,aim your light,and turn it on.

Glad everything turned out ok for you.-----------

Interesting that you brought the wild animal situation up. With the development of mountain lands and stuff we are seeing an increase in wild animals in the city and this causes great concern. I mean, what do you do? My primary is .38, however, the .45 is also available. But, neither of these are a match for a wild animal. I think being that we have taken over their environments they are saying well, I guess I we will come and eat at your house. What do we do friends ?
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    for what ??

Seriously you dont expect a micro 9mm to deal with any threat do you , i mean damm that is for shooting 2 legged preditors at close range and carrying all the time , i dont live in bear conutry but middle of the night noises are searched out with a 12 ga , or a rifle , not my day to day carry gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    With the development of mountain lands and stuff we are seeing an increase in wild animals in the city and this causes great concern. I mean, what do you do?
    Create distance. Find cover. If attacked, draw and press the muzzle against its body. At 10yds +, good luck. However, any decent, modern, mid-power gun on up will penetrate when up against the body of a small to mid-sized animal (ie, cougar, small bear, badger). I'm not saying you'll come out unscathed, but even a mid-powered 9mm, .357, .40 or .45 round against the torso or neck of an animal will create a crippling wound. For proof of this, witness any situation where a disabled/incapacitated animal must be put down in the field. It happens fairly quickly, even without a .454 or rifle in hand.

That said ... hand me a .454 Casull or shotgun when it's time to scout bear on the property.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

draw and press the muzzle against its body

Yall go on ahead with this ... for myself as stated a handgun is not my chosen field of defense , and at night you will look at a shotty or a rifle of some type . could i kill a bear or a bull ( a PO bull is more likely for me ) with a pistol , yes i could , but i dont choose to if given the choice , and if i face that situation the sucker is going to have to run thro almost a mag full of ammo to get to me .. imho (with a lifetime of dealing with large and sometimes feral animals) if you hurt them bad enough , and far enough out , they wont continue an attack . humainly dispatching the animal is allways something to work for , but not a subject for here , imho this forum deals with personal safety , and for that i would say at the first sign of aggression , shoot them with what you have , and shoot them a lot . Turn the attack before it truely starts, just like folks , you dont shoot an animal for looking wrong , nor do you wait till your being attacked and reacting ... like wnen dealing with folks factor what you have to respond with ( in a disarmed state i will respond faster with force , as i will when only armed with a handgun in an armed state ) the key i guess is the less capable i am of defending myself and my loved ones , the more aggressive i become in that defense ... back on topic i guess a 9mm or a .38 will dammed shure kill a bear , but an enraged bear a .45-70 wont reliably take down , so dont let them close enough nor time enough to get PO LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Yall go on ahead with this ... for myself as stated a handgun is not my chosen field of defense
    Never stated it was by choice. Shotgun or .454 (or better) every time, if by choice. The point is, a 9mm or better is not the "feather duster" some seem to think, particularly if pressed against an animal's body.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 2nd, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I got two (inexpensive) words that will solve your problem (actually, I guess it's just one, hyphenated word): Mosin-Nagant.

And if things get real bad, you've got that bayonet!

Provided Smoky doesn't ram it down your throat (or up something else) before he sucks you eyeballs down his throat and picks his teeth with your fibulae......

ccw9mm yall feel free to quote me in context or out .. i will stand by my statement taken as a whole . If animals are the issue , then get a bigger gun than you will carry ccw . Ccw is about repelling humans ... not any curious or marading animal . and animal defense is not about ccw .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ccw9mm yall feel free to quote me in context or out .. i will stand by my statement taken as a whole . If animals are the issue , then get a bigger gun ...
    No kidding. Thus, there's no misunderstanding here. Alteration for sake of brevity doesn't change the meaning. And, it didn't. BTW, your comments were used merely as a segue into my post, not as a misquote or pointing fingers at anyone.

The context:

What you said: if there's a choice, use a bigger gun.
    What everyone's saying: use a bigger gun.
    What I'm saying: use a bigger gun, if the choice exists.

None of that's the point, of course.

I indicated that to deny that a solid 9mm, .40 or .45 handgun will fail to do damage to a small to mid-size animal at extremely close ranges is to deny reality. (You said you also could use one of these to stop a small-ish animal, but wouldn't like to try. Agreed.) Putting animals "out of their misery" on ranches and in the field proves that even smaller guns such as these can kill. Short of a bear, commonly seen smaller animals can certainly be stopped with weapons as small as these, assuming zero distance. The point was made for this reason alone, not to imply that it would be anyone's first choice, ever. And it most certainly wouldn't be mine, thinking I had to clear a property late at night, alone.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 2nd, 2006 at 07:04 PM.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I've got a 10 ga Browning BPS that would do nicely for situations like this.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Don't fret guys, I've loaded up the Saiga 12 (Tromix conversion) and use it now for any confrontation with 2 or 4 legged critters after dark (hell, the muzzle brake on it could be used as a weapon by itself).

I need to get me some slugs.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I hate to add fuel to the fire, but I have seen a 350 lb wild boar shuck 40's, and 45's like they werent even there (made a couple of ill prepared hunters from DFW retreat into the bed of their truck double-time, and although it was slightly comical, it was not funny at the time)

Thats why when venturing outside I always grab a rifle. If I have to press anything to the flesh of an animal to do it harm, it is too late.
    Fear No Evil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links