Encounter at the park - Page 2

Encounter at the park

This is a discussion on Encounter at the park within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac Which just goes to show even pro-gun people mistrust open carry folks. I don't think it was the mistrusting of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Encounter at the park

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Which just goes to show even pro-gun people mistrust open carry folks.
    I don't think it was the mistrusting of the open carry, it was his attitude that planted the seed of mistrust in general. If the "Gentleman" had been kind smiled back, or also said hello, then the the thought of his having a permit or not probably wouldn't have been planted. Once one mistrusts someone else, excuses for justifying the mistrust become rampant.

We are often left with thinking our first impression is always correct, but after reading the other posts, we realize that sometimes people are having a really bad day. I know sometimes I can appear gruff, when I just don't know how to respond to someone when I am having a really bad day, even though I am a super nice guy! (really, I am).
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Bad day or not when someone politely says hello I make a point to say hello back. But when I say hello and it is returned with a scoff I just let it roll off . I'm happy , not my problem he is a jerk. Hope he didn't ruin your day with your son!
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

Similar but different... years back in Alaska, my buddy and I take a break from fishing and decide to drive in to the State Park a bit further to check out the waterfalls. I stow the 12g slug gun I've been slinging (I consider anything below .454 "bear spray") but my bud keeps his Blackhawk in its shoulder holster. We walk up the trail a bit towards the falls, passing a couple day-old at best piles of bearcrap dead-center of the trail... it is the salmon run after all.

While we're at an overlook area, some folks show up and ask my friend what's up with the gun. He just says "Bears."

They say - "Well, we heard they stay on the other side of the river." (Now, they've walked up the same path we have, btw).

We chuckle a bit and return to watching the waterfall. After they leave, my friend says:

"How 'bout you yell 'Bear, bear!' really loud and I'll touch off a few into the woods?"

We didn't of course, but we still laugh about that time today.
    claude clay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwep9419 View Post
    I couldn’t help but wonder if he had a permit, seeing that a permit is required to carry in the state park system;

I would have called the local police on this guy if I were in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Calling45 View Post
    I would have called the local police on this guy if I were in the same situation.
    Really....Why?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Really....Why?
    Harryball and Badey like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Lawd, Lawd..........shew!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Enquiring minds want to know
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Which just goes to show even pro-gun people mistrust open carry folks.
    The way I read it he didn't mistrust the OC because he was OC'ing, but instead because of his attitude/actions!

This thread is just another example of how to start an OC vs CC thread.

Careful kerberos, you will most likely be hearing from a moderator.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Sheeez...did you maybe find your way into the wrong forum by chance.
    Brady and PETA are down the net a few doors.

MAN WITH A GUN...MAN WITH A GUN...CITIZENS ARREST...CITIZENS ARREST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Careful kerberos, you will most likely be hearing from a moderator.
    Wouldn't be the first time...

Sarcasm is a fine art not appreciated by all, sadly.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

People are not going to be more or less friendly because they have a gun on their hip. Infact, if you read enough of these scenarios you'll notice that people that are carrying are less friendly because of their "SA" and their preparedness to defend themselves. If I saw someone open carrying I wouldn't worry about it. It would appear that they have "less to hide" than someone concealed carrying. Someone that isn't legal is more likely to wear a gun in a concealed method than on their hip where it can be noticed and questioned (as it is being questioned here). I conceal carry exclusively unless I am working on my house or doing something active at home. I see people mention the "tactical advantage" of concealed carry vs open but I don't understand that completely. It seems like the advantage is only to surprise someone before you defend yourself instead of first letting them know you are armed.

Anyway, I think there wasn't much to worry about here.

Each type of carry has its merits. Unfortunately, there are grumpy, armed people (I think it tends to tarnish the 2A movement). I think you did well to be more alert if you felt uneasy.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Really....Why?
    Because he was open carrying in a public park and, although less a reason, because of his attitude.
    Based on the description it sounds like he was up to no good and if he wasn't.....then no harm done.

Here is something from the Wisconsin State Legislature.
    Even though it's an open carry state you can't do that in a public park.

29.089(2)
    (2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

29.089(3)
    (3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park , or in a portion of a state park , if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park , or in the portion of the state park , and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game.

These are the reasons I would call the local authorities.

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links