Encounter at the park

This is a discussion on Encounter at the park within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the weekend I had taken my five year old son to one of the state parks (Mirror Lake State Park) here in Wisconsin, when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Encounter at the park

Encounter at the park

Over the weekend I had taken my five year old son to one of the state parks (Mirror Lake State Park) here in Wisconsin, when I encountered an individual who was open carrying a small pistol on his belt. He was there with who I thought was his son at the park also. As he came by I politely said hello. I was some what surprised when he simply scoffed and actually scowled at me as he walked by. I thought now here is a guy who was having a bad day, or thought he was a bad ass because he had a gun on his belt. I brushed my hand to my side and felt some what reassured that my concealed carry was discreetly hidden at my side. I led my son to another part of the play ground and kept an eye on this person as he wondered through the park/ beach area. I couldn’t help but wonder if he had a permit, seeing that a permit is required to carry in the state park system; and if he did have a conceal carry permit, why wouldn’t you conceal it? It just seams that to open carry gives away a tactical advantage. Let a lone to display an attitude that would only seem to feed the anti-gun people more fuel regarding the so call "gun toting types".
    RichB70 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe the guy is a jerk with or without a gun. As far as OCing...up to him if it is legal. There have been many threads on the pros and cons of OCing. A personal choice and I don't really care unless the are trying to start something and videotaping it for Youtube.
    carracer, oneshot and ep1953 like this.

Meeting friendly people is the best part of OCing.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by dwep9419 View Post
    I couldn’t help but wonder if he had a permit, seeing that a permit is required to carry in the state park system; and if he did have a conceal carry permit, why wouldn’t you conceal it?
    Which just goes to show even pro-gun people mistrust open carry folks.
    Inspector71 and Bark'n like this.

He's having a bad day, ignore him.
    Move on with living...

As I tell my high school students, sometimes you have to give people the respect that they do not deserve.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Probably self-conscious at having a little gun.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Which just goes to show even pro-gun people mistrust open carry folks.
    From where I'm standing, I think MadMac summed it up perfectly.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I know this has been discussed here, but i am not a big fan of open carry. It scares some people, and i also think it is not an advantage in most situations. Also, a higher than average percentage of the folks who open carry seem a bit weird, in my limited experience. Not all, of course, but more than one might expect. For most of us, let's be careful and discreet- let the bad guys wonder who might have a gun.
    mano3 likes this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I wouldn't have a problem with someone because they were open carrying. I would give them the same regard as anyone else & react accordingly.

The sour puss attitude might lead me to do as the OP did, & put some distance between us. Who needs that anyways?

ep1953, carracer and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    I know this has been discussed here, but i am not a big fan of open carry. It scares some people, and i also think it is not an advantage in most situations. Also, a higher than average percentage of the folks who open carry seem a bit weird, in my limited experience. Not all, of course, but more than one might expect. For most of us, let's be careful and discreet- let the bad guys wonder who might have a gun.
    Sooo, you pro 2A or just pro CC? Got news for you. Folks that don't like guns don't like guns whether they can see them or not. In this encounter take away the gun from the picture and it is just a typical guy that likes to be left alone. I swear, sometimes folks on this forum are worse than the Brady Bunch. If someone isn;t doing it to be provacative for a You Tube video, let them express their rights.

OC guy was in a bad mood, or he is just a jerk. Theres one in every crowd...
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I've met people like that and they weren't even carrying a gun.
    tcox4freedom and carracer like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have as well. I put distance between my myself and sour people just to make my day better. Well, less cloudy at any rate.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Don't be too quick to judge the guy. You never know what he may be going through in life. Ever heard the story of the man with rowdy kids who were acting up on the subway and just ignored his kids actions? Someone finally asked, and he said that his wife had just passed away and his kids didn't know how to deal with it. This guy in the park may be going through a divorce, a custody battle, or even cancer in the family. Of course he may also just be a jerk. You never know.
    tcox4freedom and DC like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Here's a quote from Catbert, the evil director of human resources:

"You don't need experience. Cynicism is almost the same thing as experience. Just try always assuming the worst about people and you'll usually be right."

While I find this amusing, it has a certain ring of truth. For example, if I see somebody not putting their shopping up in a parking lot, I can either assume that they accidentally forgot, or they are a lazy jerk. 99% of the time, the second thing will be true. However, I'm not always so cynical. It depends on the situation. Sometimes I give people the benefit of the doubt.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links