What would you do if you were there?

This is a discussion on What would you do if you were there? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This actually happened in KC a few years ago. I will recall the events to the best of my memory. You are walking into a ...

Thread: What would you do if you were there?

What would you do if you were there?

This actually happened in KC a few years ago. I will recall the events to the best of my memory.

You are walking into a convenience store where several cars are parked in front of. A woman races out of the store and up to one of those cars. A man is in the car and attempting to leave. The woman is frantic, screaming that her child is in the car. The man leans towards the back of the car from the front seat and opens the rear door and attempts to shove the child out. He then returns to the front. The child's foot gets tangled in the seat belt and now he is being dragged along the pavement.

You are on the child's side of the SUV (passenger side) 30 yards away. Beyond the SUV is the entire store front with possible innocents. The man is starting to move again dragging the child. The mother is attempting to release the child and cannot because it has twisted tight during his fall. What would you do??

What happened?
    Tragically, this car jacking ended in the child being dragged to his death.

J.S.

2. Remove Ads

Drawing and attemping a shot from 30 yards in the situation you describe would be nearly impossible to pull off. At best you could close the distance trying to angle to the front of the vehical to take a shot, chances are if he catches you coming he would gun it and you wouldn't get a shot. Another is to get all the information you can about the situation and report it to the cops to help catch the guy but chances are you would not be able to do both.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If time allowed, I would have run to the front of the vehicle and shot the driver through the windshield. Otherwise I would have aimed for tires until I could get closer and get a clear firing lane. I wouldn't shoot unless I knew I would not hit a bystander or the child. As long as that was avoidable, I would do my best to kill the driver and/or disable the vehicle.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Hit it in reverse and slide behind the SUV sideways, then get out. Much harder for the BG to move the vehicle at that point. If he tries to gun the gas on the SUV, it's not going to move any vehicle very fast when the vehicle is behind you sideways. If nothing else, it gives the mother a few extra seconds to get the child out and also closes the distance for engagement if he chooses to still move. Granted it may not be the best move, but it's what came first to mind.

Cheers.

I remember this, this was very sad! But the first rule here is to not leave your child in the car ever!!!!!!! I don't remember for sure but I even think that she left the car running.

But for the story, I would block the vehilcle as well if I am at my vehicle, if not I would do what I had to to make this freak stop, then I would probably yell at the top of my lungs at the mother for several hours for doing what she did! leaving her child in the car. Things like this are avoidable, jacking the car! take it, I don't really care as long as a loved one is not in it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    On foot, not much you can do if the vehicle is in motion. If possible, dragging the car jacker out of the car. If you don't have a clear shot, you should not tak it, which would be difficult anyway, especially once the vehicle is in motion.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly from reading the first post i would panic for long enough for him to drive off dangeling the child , once there i would likely use my car to stop his , hoping the child was still ok . In any event i would do what i needed too to safeguard the child , and i have the ability to say that without reservations because i have done it and it has cost me irl ., Just like the old saw says , there is no good deed that goes un punished lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The only thing you can do from 30yds away is call 911 and give the best description of what you saw - maybe it helps in catching/convicting the BG.

After thinking about this situation for a while, the only real solution to this problem is for the mother to be armed and trained. She was in a position to stop the criminal.

J.S.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    The only thing you can do from 30yds away is call 911 and give the best description of what you saw - maybe it helps in catching/convicting the BG.
    911 is a must but I practice at 30+ yards with the HK all the time, so it depends on your abilities and your gun I want to be able to keep in in a 6" area or smaller at that range so I practice there, but then I shoot the BlackHawk at 100 yards all the time, and yes with that gun he would have been toast, as well as with the HK.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    30 yards is a great distance from a moving car....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've shot at a stationary target at 25 yards and could easily keep the entire magazine in a car door or engine compartment. Moving might make it harder, but the SUV is starting from a full stop. So shooting would be considered if on foot. If in a car, blocking the SUV would be the preferred option.

Links