How do you CCW when jogging?

This is a discussion on How do you CCW when jogging? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu To each his own but I have to ask this. And it is for the male runners (I can perfectly understand ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How do you CCW when jogging?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    To each his own but I have to ask this. And it is for the male runners (I can perfectly understand a female carrying protection). Do you really feel that you might need to defend yourself while running? I mean I carry 2 bucks in my tiny pocket in my running shorts or pants and a 30 dollar mp3 player. I can not imagine the odds of needing a weapon to protect me from 2 legged predators. Not saying doesn't happen. Funny thing is the first hit I found where a male was attacked was 1 year ago in the city I grew up in and ran cross country as a kid.
    I have been an avid runner for 35 years (marathons and ultra marathons) and it is such a rare occurrence it is darn close to zero a male will be attacked.
    I would agree with this. The odds of a male being attacked while jogging is astronomically lower than your chances of being attacked in a parking lot or in your car, or just about any normal daily activity. None of my workout shorts could hold up event the lightest gun while jogging, and can't really think of a comfortable place to carry one in this situation. You would probably be better off with a knife that has an assisted open clipped to your waistband. It would be easier to carry and probably accessible faster

2. Remove Ads

I don't carry when I run. Endorphin's normally kick in and I listen to music. Plus I am a male, carry no money. Just don't feel the need. I am sure someone can google where a male runner with no money on him got attacked. But seriously. I will hit the Powerball before my chances of getting attacked happen.
    Except for the part about being male, you should consider what happened to my student's mom, Joan Diver while running on the bikepath where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Except for the part about being male, you should consider what happened to my student's mom, Joan Diver while running on the bikepath where I live.
    Don't make it sound like I am an idiot. I considered everything. That is why I included male. I know females are definitily at risk. Did you read my second post?

Didn't mean to make you sound bad. I just don't think in this day and age those chances are like playing powerball, even for a guy. I like the thread, it's very difficult to pack when being active. I carry on a bicycle and walking fast but since I really can't run, hadn't given it much thought. I cringe when I go by the spot where they found Joan and every time her son walks into my class.

I run about 45 - 60 miles a week, sometimes more, and have lately been using Pistol Wear holster.
    I have the PT2 and my cell, keys, and the Sig P238 fit perfectly.
    I've ran before with heavier guns but it's very uncomfortable ans since I put on pretty high miles I would start chafing, that has not happened since I got the Pistol Wear and started carrying the little 380.
    Here's a link, try it I think you might like it:
    www.pistolwear.com Home Page

www.pistolwear.com Home Page

Thanks

I carry in a belly band while I sit on a park bench and watch you go by
    Glock2201 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    I would agree with this. The odds of a male being attacked while jogging is astronomically lower than your chances of being attacked in a parking lot or in your car, or just about any normal daily activity. None of my workout shorts could hold up event the lightest gun while jogging, and can't really think of a comfortable place to carry one in this situation. You would probably be better off with a knife that has an assisted open clipped to your waistband. It would be easier to carry and probably accessible faster
    Can you cite the source of those astronomical odds? My workout set-up accommodates my edc effortlessly, year round. Why take a knife to a gunfight?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Don't make it sound like I am an idiot. I considered everything. That is why I included male. I know females are definitily at risk. Did you read my second post?
    Everything?
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Everything?
    You want to play games and nitpick every word fine. Waste your time. You can PM me if you want. I am totally surprised at you since you seem to know what I mean most of the time, whether we agree or disagree. Having a bad day or something?
    If you do not understand the intent of my post then disregard them. But if you need a simplified version:
    I don't care what you do or don;t
    Woman are most at risk than males while jogging.
    It is extremely rare for a male to be assualted while jogging.

If you want go aheed and google to death every case of a male jogger being assualted and come baack and say "look!!!!! males get assualted also!" then go ahead.

I leftt some tyyps and grammatical errors in the post for you just in case you are bored.

Keep it right next to the treadmill? You are more safe at home, you have no risk of getting attacked or run over by a car, or of getting rained on or getting your gun sweaty. And you can listen to music, or watch television without any worries... what am I missing?
    "The principle of using force only in retaliation against those who initiate its use,
    is the principle of subordinating might to right." Philosophy: Who Needs It

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Keep it right next to the treadmill? You are more safe at home, you have no risk of getting attacked or run over by a car, or of getting rained on or getting your gun sweaty. And you can listen to music, or watch television without any worries... what am I missing?
    You are probably more at risk at your house from a a home invasion I bet! I run a treadmill during the winter sometimes also. But I wear headphones or blast my stereo so I wouldn't hear the BG anyway

VIP Member
    You want to play games and nitpick every word fine. Waste your time. You can PM me if you want. I am totally surprised at you since you seem to know what I mean most of the time, whether we agree or disagree. Having a bad day or something?
    If you do not understand the intent of my post then disregard them. But if you need a simplified version:
    I don't care what you do or don;t
    Woman are most at risk than males while jogging.
    It is extremely rare for a male to be assualted while jogging.

If you want go aheed and google to death every case of a male jogger being assualted and come baack and say "look!!!!! males get assualted also!" then go ahead.

I leftt some tyyps and grammatical errors in the post for you just in case you are bored.
    We are just in disagreement on this particular topic. My opinion isn't based on an attacked male jogger, but rather a dead endurance bicyclist who was a riding buddy and one of my closest personal friends. I cannot say an edc would have saved him, or if he was even the victim of foul play, although I personally believe he was. They found him face down in a ditch full of water exactly two miles from my home, badly bruised and drowned. His death was ruled accidental. Two events in my life prompted me to become CHL, and this was one of them.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    We are just in disagreement on this particular topic. My opinion isn't based on an attacked male jogger, but rather a dead endurance bicyclist who was a riding buddy and one of my closest personal friends. I cannot say an edc would have saved him, or if he was even the victim of foul play, although I personally believe he was. They found him face down in a ditch full of water exactly two miles from my home, badly bruised and drowned. His death was ruled accidental. Two events in my life prompted me to become CHL, and this was one of them.
    I am truly sorry to hear about that. Bad things do happen. But I was just asking a very specific question:
    To each his own but I have to ask this. And it is for the male runners (I can perfectly understand a female carrying protection). Do you really feel that you might need to defend yourself while running?
    It wasn't to judge anyone or anything like that. I was just curious to the reasoning a male feels the need to carry running. If they do they do. But I ain't running a 15 to 25 mile long run with a firearm.

I've tried IWB and Remora holsters for my Kimber Solo 9mm. Both caused my sweats/shorts to drop ridiculously low. The Remora actually fell out lol.
    I have gone to the ultra-nerdy fanny pack option, though I'm not sure how well it works. It seems like it would be a pretty slow draw to move the pack to my side, unzip and draw, fast enough to stop an attack?

VIP Member
    I am truly sorry to hear about that. Bad things do happen. But I was just asking a very specific question:

It wasn't to judge anyone or anything like that. I was just curious to the reasoning a male feels the need to carry running. If they do they do. But I ain't running a 15 to 25 mile long run with a firearm.
    Thanks, and my apologies for being abrasive and less-than-direct initially. My 15-25 milers are behind me (I ran the Muncie and Columbus Marathons in 1988) but yes, a firearm would be cumbersome. Not bad on my 3.5s around my block, tho, which is in a very rural, isolated area. Carrying is a piece of cake on my bicycle, regardless of the distances, also in very rural, isolated areas.
    Tuco

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links