How do you CCW when jogging? - Page 3

How do you CCW when jogging?

This is a discussion on How do you CCW when jogging? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In response to the OP's original post I carry my full size PX4 9mm in a Theis holster with a 5.11 belt then my basketball ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How do you CCW when jogging?

In response to the OP's original post I carry my full size PX4 9mm in a Theis holster with a 5.11 belt then my basketball shorts over that. I also usually have a kershaw leek on my wasitband also. Now I don't really run, I go for walks and occasionally jog and this setup works fine for that. If I were running I would probably would carry something smaller. As far as odds of attack who knows but if it happens I have options to protect my self whether from a BG, dog, coyote or anything. I've never had a gun drawn on me or my life threatened by someone else doing any activity so far but will do my best to be prepared regardless of when or where it may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Thanks, and my apologies for being abrasive and less-than-direct initially. My 15-25 milers are behind me (I ran the Muncie and Columbus Marathons in 1988) but yes, a firearm would be cumbersome. Not bad on my 3.5s around my block, tho, which is in a very rural, isolated area. Carrying is a piece of cake on my bicycle, regardless of the distances, also in very rural, isolated areas.
    I do two marathons a year and at least 1 50 miler (JFK 50, 12th year in a row). I know this sounds strange but an ultra (any run over 30 miles) is not so hard. Mentally you just want to finish it in 14 hours which is the cut off time. Just a fun day out with folks! My best is 10 hr 18 min.

Happy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Ok, I gotta ask. Anyone jog here who also carry's while doing so? Is a fanny pack the only option?
    Along the lines of pistolwear is Thunderwear. This is what I jog with but I'm female and only run 4-5 miles at a time
    "it is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"--tibetan proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Keep it right next to the treadmill? You are more safe at home, you have no risk of getting attacked or run over by a car, or of getting rained on or getting your gun sweaty. And you can listen to music, or watch television without any worries...
    what am I missing?
    Well, this isn't a running forum but I will just quickly tell you that you are missing a lot.
    The big thing is that the treadmill is always coming at you and all you have to do is lift your feet up in rhythm with the treadmill whereas on on the ground you have to not just lift your feet put you have to propel your self forward while doing so. If you place a foot on a moving treadmill it gets thrown back along the line in which the treadmill is moving – i.e. the treadmill is moving your foot back, not the foot moving itself back using the proper muscles. Outdoors your hamstrings and glutes pull back to drive your body forward relative to your planted foot in stride phase.
    Treadmill is much easier than running outdoors because it assists the leg turnover making it easier to run fast. People who run a lot on a treadmill are often surprised why they can't run faster when they come outside and run. Also the soft tissue conditioning you get on hard roads won't happen. With many people treadmill running has actually led to muscle imbalance and can increase the risk of injury.
    There's much more to this but this is a Defensive Carry forum. So...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Can you cite the source of those astronomical odds? My workout set-up accommodates my edc effortlessly, year round. Why take a knife to a gunfight?
    I was speaking in generalities. IMO, it is common sense that the odds of a male being attacked while jogging are extremely low. Could you be attacked while jogging? You bet your ass you could, but you could also be hit by car when you check your mail because a teenager is texting. Everyone on this site understands the need to be prepared, which is why 99% of CHL holders got there license, but at a certain point being prepared changes over to being paranoid. There's nothing wrong with being paranoid and some people have good reason to be, but I'm not going to live my life that way.

As for the knife comment, I don't see it as a bad option. It's light weight, and depending on how someone decided to carry their gun it could be accessed much faster than digging into a fanny pack. If someone is comfortable jogging with a gun then by all means do it, but I personally don't think it's necessary. If the area you live in is that bad that you feel your at higher risk I recommend purchasing a gym membership. Not trying to come off as a *****, it's just my opinion.

VIP Member
    Whether you run/walk and not carry any money is somewhat unimportant to the BG. The BG doesnt know you have no money, but may think you're worth robbing. Personally if I'm walking, running or biking I'm ccw. Money or not I have no intentions of being a random beat down just because some thug thinks I'm the one to try it on.
    Kadelic likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I carry while running because of dogs, not people.
    Boudin likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Can't do the treadmill thing, bores the heck outta me. Got miles of logging roads to run on.
    Mikes idea to wear shorts with belt is probably most feasible.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Can't do the treadmill thing, bores the heck outta me. Got miles of logging roads to run on.
    Mikes idea to wear shorts with belt is probably most feasible.
    I can't think of any other good place to put it than your hip. No place on your leg would work because of weight imbalance, and up on the rib area would probably rub with arm movement while running.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I carry while running because of dogs, not people.
    Exactly! I do the same. I have a greenbelt in my neighborhood which is pretty secluded where I jog and since I've had my CCL, I purchased an LCP to carry while running. I also carry because since deciding to carry a weapon, I carry ALL the time now.

I think they are out of business, but i use one from The Active Body Holster Company. It is a neophrene belly band with a molded holster for SOB carry.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowJS View Post
    I think they are out of business, but i use one from The Active Body Holster Company. It is a neophrene belly band with a molded holster for SOB carry.
    I carry a Ruger SP 101 .357 Mag with a spurless hammer in it.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    To each his own but I have to ask this. And it is for the male runners (I can perfectly understand a female carrying protection). Do you really feel that you might need to defend yourself while running? I mean I carry 2 bucks in my tiny pocket in my running shorts or pants and a 30 dollar mp3 player. I can not imagine the odds of needing a weapon to protect me from 2 legged predators. Not saying doesn't happen. Funny thing is the first hit I found where a male was attacked was 1 year ago in the city I grew up in and ran cross country as a kid.
    I have been an avid runner for 35 years (marathons and ultra marathons) and it is such a rare occurrence it is darn close to zero a male will be attacked.
    I run with my wife. I feel it's my responsibility to protect her at all times, no matter the likelihood of anything actually happening.

As for how, I wear compression shorts under soccer shorts. I tie off the soccer shorts, then put on my CBST under the compression shorts. It hardly moves at all, even during sprints.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I find more important than the holster is the weight of the gun. I carry a J-frame sized airweight revolver (S&W 642 previously, now Ruger LCR) and a speed strip, my cell phone, the key to my car, and my DL/CCW permit in a smallish fanny pack. It'd be nice to have a fanny pack meant for CCW, though.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

What is this "jogging" of which you speak?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links