How do you CCW when jogging? - Page 4

How do you CCW when jogging?

This is a discussion on How do you CCW when jogging? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you see me jogging, I'm open carrying an empty handgun cause something very mean is chasing me and I'm out of ammo...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How do you CCW when jogging?

If you see me jogging, I'm open carrying an empty handgun cause something very mean is chasing me and I'm out of ammo
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I do jog later at night in my own neighborhood that I know like the back of my hand. Ive always thought that should anything happen, I'd hightail it through the yards and, worst casecase scenario, Id have to get busy with my 4" S&W BorderGuard which fits nicely in the pocket.

511 Shirt

Just got one of these and am trying it on around the house as I do some light construction, P250C on one side, full mag on the other. Once I'm convinced it's secure enough, I'll try it out biking, jogging, and gym. It doesn't seem to bounce a lot.

Holster Shirt V-Neck | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical

It's definitely not a fast draw, but faster than running home.

It doesn't print at all under an untucked shirt. If I tuck the over-shirt, it prints a bit like a vertical carry holster (you can see the square end of the muzzle), but with no shoulder strap marks.

One thing that will take some getting used to is that the neoprene padding and stitching causes a bit of chafing on the sides (the rest of the shirt is like any other light compression shirt). I'm actually wearing a white v-neck cotton t-shirt under it now, which will kill the wicking properties for a workout. I think I'll get used to it by itself.
    1911srule likes this.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I carry while running because of dogs, not people.
    I totally agree with this. Sometimes I run on a sidewalk right next to fenced in backyards, some of which have very excitable dogs, and quite often the fence is in ill repair. Looks like a prime opportunity for a dog to burst through and attack. When jogging I always carry, the same way as any other time -- 1 o'clock (appendix) IWB under a sweater or long shirt. With a decent belt it stays in position well.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't carry when I run. Endorphin's normally kick in and I listen to music. Plus I am a male, carry no money. Just don't feel the need. I am sure someone can google where a male runner with no money on him got attacked. But seriously. I will hit the Powerball before my chances of getting attacked happen.
    I agree with what you say here, but as with most violent crime, arguments that it is highly unlikely aren't very comforting after the fact. Anyway I do recall reading about a Tampa FL jogger who was attacked during a late night run and fired at and killed his 18 year old attacker (who had punched the jogger really hard). The jogger found himself on the ground and was poking the leg of his attacker with his pistol (to no avail) and finally shot him.

So, it can and has happened. But in general I buy into the line about "anytime, anyplace".
    Also it is fairly easy for me to carry and jog -- but unlike you I don't try to go on any marathons. A couple of miles does it.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I don't "jog" much anymore and I never "run" anymore for exercise. Because of a partial knee replacement, I bike. However, the urge strikes me from time to time to strap up andgo for a run (jog). Because I got bit badly by a dog a few years ago, I tend to carry. When I "jog" I wear a good jock strap and compression shorts with a Don Hume IWB holster that clips into place. With this holster, I carry a Kimber Ultra. Otherwise, I have an Uncle Mike's IWB clip holster for a Colt Mustang. The compression shorts hold things pretty tight.

I understand some company also makes compression shorts with built in holsters. I will be looking into them. When I bike, that is another story. I carry my Springfield Champion or a Beretta 92 in a Galco Shoulder holster or a tanker holster from Pacific Canvas.

Just for fun I tried to run last week on my treadmill with my Kahr. NO WAY would I run 1o miles with it. I do not care what kinda holster they can make for it. Anyway, with headphones on and lke I said before the endorphin's kicking in I am about in condition white as possible

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    There are a few options, fanny pack, backpack, and they have vests with a built in holster, not sure how good it would be jogging.. but it's always an option. Or you could just carry OC Spray, normally that is all you would need when jogging, works great on dogs too.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I'm going with shorts w/belt IWB strong side ccw. Covered by shirt or sweatshirt. Switched to small frame handgun using thumb snap for retention. Tried it on tread mill, will work fine out and about...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    I'm going with shorts w/belt IWB strong side ccw. Covered by shirt or sweatshirt. Switched to small frame handgun using thumb snap for retention. Tried it on tread mill, will work fine out and about...
    Others have mentioned it. Just think you would be happier with using a Pistol Wear PT-One or PT-Two.

The 511 shirt looks functional, but what size handgun are you all using? Running in this with any weight might be a challenge.But might be more useful for EDC for bug..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Just got one of these and am trying it on around the house as I do some light construction, P250C on one side, full mag on the other. Once I'm convinced it's secure enough, I'll try it out biking, jogging, and gym. It doesn't seem to bounce a lot.

Holster Shirt V-Neck | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical

It's definitely not a fast draw, but faster than running home.

It doesn't print at all under an untucked shirt. If I tuck the over-shirt, it prints a bit like a vertical carry holster (you can see the square end of the muzzle), but with no shoulder strap marks.

One thing that will take some getting used to is that the neoprene padding and stitching causes a bit of chafing on the sides (the rest of the shirt is like any other light compression shirt). I'm actually wearing a white v-neck cotton t-shirt under it now, which will kill the wicking properties for a workout. I think I'll get used to it by itself.
    OK, here are my thoughts after wearing it with both compact and subcompact pistols in a variety of settings.

Overall, it seems pretty well-made, and should hold out to repeated washings as well as any of my other gym wear. Quality multi-stitches where it matters.

Size: I bought the Large size based on reviews saying they were sized small. I'm not big - 6' <180, normally wear a 40 to 42 jacket and L t-shirt. I think I should've bought a Medium. It fits snug, but it's supposed to, and I don't think a Med would've been especially tight. With the L, the holster pockets reach down to about 2" above my waist empty, and sags a bit further down when I've got it loaded. This causes the muzzle to print a bit when wearing a military tuck. I think a smaller size might bring it up a bit higher... maybe not, if the holster pockets are a set size (I don't know if they are or not).

Security: Pretty good right now. When I run, it holds securely with a little more bounce than I'd like, but it's not hitting my hip bones or anything. It stays secure with pushups. I haven't ridden the bicycle with it yet, but I think it will hold the pistol even when I'm in the drops. The pockets are held closed with two patches of velcro - if those wear, it might become less secure, but a compact pistol sinks relatively low in the pocket, so unless you're really bending past 90, I don't think it's a problem. But, I would be worried about, say, leaning over a boat rail to undo a line... that would be an expensive splash. A larger weapon might pose a problem as well, because the grip and CG would be higher, closer to the pocket opening.

Concealment: Just shy of excellent. Under gym clothes with a untucked or loosely tucked shirt it's perfect. Same for a "club cut" bike jersey. As said above, under a military-tucked shirt, the muzzle prints. Pretty sure few notice except me and folks that already know I'm carrying. Much better than a shoulder holster because it's tight to your ribs, the padding smooths the profile, and no shoulder straps to print through your shirt. I got the white v-neck shirt because I often am required to wear a light colored shirt that is semitransparent due to the weave (with a white t-shirt under). It works like a champ and except for that muzzle print is invisible. Two mags on the other side are not noticeable. That would not be the case if I wore a shirt that was really tight around the chest, but again, I'm not huge. Under an untucked street shirt, it's invisible, but if I have that clothing option, I'm carrying in a real holster. The 5.11 video shows a guy wearing the shirt by itself - I don't think I'd do that - it would be obvious what's in the pocket, so might as well go with a real holster in that situation also.

Draw: Not so much. This is a carrying system, not a quick draw. In fact, the draw is more like a grope... a slow grope.
    - Step 1: access the pocket - left hand pulls the button placket on the shirt open, like a Spanish swordfighter, then reaches in to pull open the pocket.
    - Step 2: reach deep inside - especially for the subcompact. The pocket opening is at your pec, and the butt of the pistol will be directly under my armpit, muzzle straight down. It's a reach. The good thing is that the pocket shape keeps the pistol in the same position and it's not flopping around.
    - Step 3: Pull up and out without sweeping your chest cavity, brachial artery, and your wife. That brings me to...

Safety: I've decided that at least for now, I'm carrying with an empty pipe when I wear this. Not worried about the trigger being pulled in during carry, especially when I'm carrying a DAO. The padding is thick/stiff enough to keep the trigger from being snagged. But as said before, the "draw" is clumsy. Though I always seem to find a good shooting hold, I also haven't been trying to draw under significant stress. I'm not a fan of unchambered carry, but in this case, I've already sacrificed speed for concealment.

Bottom line - this is workable, and in some situations is the best I can do for carrying something bigger than a pocket pistol, but it's far from perfect. If the balloon goes up while I'm wearing it, I'll be happy to have real firepower, but it requires a different mindset. I'll be running far off the X into cover first before I start groping for a gun.

Edit: 1911srule brings up a great point - this would be a very good solution for the BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    OK, here are my thoughts after wearing it with both compact and subcompact pistols in a variety of settings.

Overall, it seems pretty well-made, and should hold out to repeated washings as well as any of my other gym wear. Quality multi-stitches where it matters.

Size: I bought the Large size based on reviews saying they were sized small. I'm not big - 6' <180, normally wear a 40 to 42 jacket and L t-shirt. I think I should've bought a Medium. It fits snug, but it's supposed to, and I don't think a Med would've been especially tight. With the L, the holster pockets reach down to about 2" above my waist empty, and sags a bit further down when I've got it loaded. This causes the muzzle to print a bit when wearing a military tuck. I think a smaller size might bring it up a bit higher... maybe not, if the holster pockets are a set size (I don't know if they are or not).

Security: Pretty good right now. When I run, it holds securely with a little more bounce than I'd like, but it's not hitting my hip bones or anything. It stays secure with pushups. I haven't ridden the bicycle with it yet, but I think it will hold the pistol even when I'm in the drops. The pockets are held closed with two patches of velcro - if those wear, it might become less secure, but a compact pistol sinks relatively low in the pocket, so unless you're really bending past 90, I don't think it's a problem. But, I would be worried about, say, leaning over a boat rail to undo a line... that would be an expensive splash. A larger weapon might pose a problem as well, because the grip and CG would be higher, closer to the pocket opening.

Concealment: Just shy of excellent. Under gym clothes with a untucked or loosely tucked shirt it's perfect. Same for a "club cut" bike jersey. As said above, under a military-tucked shirt, the muzzle prints. Pretty sure few notice except me and folks that already know I'm carrying. Much better than a shoulder holster because it's tight to your ribs, the padding smooths the profile, and no shoulder straps to print through your shirt. I got the white v-neck shirt because I often am required to wear a light colored shirt that is semitransparent due to the weave (with a white t-shirt under). It works like a champ and except for that muzzle print is invisible. Two mags on the other side are not noticeable. That would not be the case if I wore a shirt that was really tight around the chest, but again, I'm not huge. Under an untucked street shirt, it's invisible, but if I have that clothing option, I'm carrying in a real holster. The 5.11 video shows a guy wearing the shirt by itself - I don't think I'd do that - it would be obvious what's in the pocket, so might as well go with a real holster in that situation also.

Draw: Not so much. This is a carrying system, not a quick draw. In fact, the draw is more like a grope... a slow grope.
    - Step 1: access the pocket - left hand pulls the button placket on the shirt open, like a Spanish swordfighter, then reaches in to pull open the pocket.
    - Step 2: reach deep inside - especially for the subcompact. The pocket opening is at your pec, and the butt of the pistol will be directly under my armpit, muzzle straight down. It's a reach. The good thing is that the pocket shape keeps the pistol in the same position and it's not flopping around.
    - Step 3: Pull up and out without sweeping your chest cavity, brachial artery, and your wife. That brings me to...

Safety: I've decided that at least for now, I'm carrying with an empty pipe when I wear this. Not worried about the trigger being pulled in during carry, especially when I'm carrying a DAO. The padding is thick/stiff enough to keep the trigger from being snagged. But as said before, the "draw" is clumsy. Though I always seem to find a good shooting hold, I also haven't been trying to draw under significant stress. I'm not a fan of unchambered carry, but in this case, I've already sacrificed speed for concealment.

Bottom line - this is workable, and in some situations is the best I can do for carrying something bigger than a pocket pistol, but it's far from perfect. If the balloon goes up while I'm wearing it, I'll be happy to have real firepower, but it requires a different mindset. I'll be running far off the X into cover first before I start groping for a gun.

Edit: 1911srule brings up a great point - this would be a very good solution for the BUG.
    Thanks for your wonderful review. I don't see me purchasing the shirt. Too unaccessible for me plus not sure I could wear it appropriately.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a BUG?

I have been reading your post wondering about what to wear for a good holster for running. I bought a kangaroo to run with and it rubbed my side and caused a couple sores just after running 3 miles. Not a good thing when I like to distance running. I do not want to keep wasting money finding the best holster for running. I have a large bust so it was a bit of a hassle getting the gun out of my holster anyway with the kangaroo.

I have thought about getting the PT-2 but I don't want anything rubbing my skin and causing friction. The material on the kangaroo is rough. Any more information of what has been tried and reviews would be great.

Are the questions gonna get harder?...if so just flunk me now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by abandonhope View Post
    Along the lines of pistolwear is Thunderwear. This is what I jog with but I'm female and only run 4-5 miles at a time
    Hi,

How do you like the Thunderwear? I have looked at that and the Smart Carry, and checked out the links to the PW holsters.

I carry a P238 and would like to start taking it on my lunchtime runs. I run in a park with a lot of trees, and while it is in a "safe" area, there is also a murderer on the loose here. He has attacked children and women, including a woman jogging in a park (different one).

I already have a bellyband and a Remora, but I am not sure about the Remora staying put. I don't wear shorts with belt loops--I run in spandex running shorts that are FAR more comfortable for running. (chafing, etc)

I've looked at those shirts too and there is also a pair of compression shorts on The Well Armed Woman with a holster behind the hip.

Concealment Compression Undershorts - The Well Armed Woman

Concealment Under Shirt Tank - The Well Armed Woman

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links