How do you CCW when jogging? - Page 5

How do you CCW when jogging?

This is a discussion on How do you CCW when jogging? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't jog but I do ride my bike quite a bit. My EDC is a XD 40 SC so I bought a pistol wear ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How do you CCW when jogging?

I don't jog but I do ride my bike quite a bit. My EDC is a XD 40 SC so I bought a pistol wear holster and a extra magazine pouch:

http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDet...a1321496070781

This holster is washable as well.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Something similar to this:

Comfortable Carry

I carry a PPQ IWB of a pair of cargo shorts. I wear cargo shorts for just about everything...from daily wear to running, cycling, ECQ, and weight lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Calling45 View Post
    Well, this isn't a running forum but I will just quickly tell you that you are missing a lot.
    The big thing is that the treadmill is always coming at you and all you have to do is lift your feet up in rhythm with the treadmill whereas on on the ground you have to not just lift your feet put you have to propel your self forward while doing so. If you place a foot on a moving treadmill it gets thrown back along the line in which the treadmill is moving – i.e. the treadmill is moving your foot back, not the foot moving itself back using the proper muscles. Outdoors your hamstrings and glutes pull back to drive your body forward relative to your planted foot in stride phase.
    Treadmill is much easier than running outdoors because it assists the leg turnover making it easier to run fast. People who run a lot on a treadmill are often surprised why they can't run faster when they come outside and run. Also the soft tissue conditioning you get on hard roads won't happen. With many people treadmill running has actually led to muscle imbalance and can increase the risk of injury.
    There's much more to this but this is a Defensive Carry forum. So...........
    True dat. Outdoor running is THE best.

I clip a small SOG spring assist knife inside my shorts. I only have a Glock 27- a little big and heavy for a belly band or similar. I think if I had a bodyguard .380 or similar I would carry sometimes- especially in parks or new places.

I carry my PF9 in a belly band under my shirt when I run outside. I sweat all over it in the summer when its 100+ and sunny EVERY single day for like 4 months straight, I wipe it down after but I still get rust in spite of the stainless/blued finish. I'm now on my 2nd barrel due to rust (KT warranty replacement), almost certainly from this. I know it isn't great to do this to a gun, but I bought the PF9 just for this purpose and when it really gets badly worn looking I'll either see if KT will refinish it or I'll just retire it from use. I also carry OC spray in a reflective wrist band, mainly for use against dogs or coyotes (I have deployed this once at night against a coyote that was uncomfortably close) as a nonlethal option.

A tip on belly bands that I learned from someone and find works well: wear it so it is as close under your arms as is comfortable, this helps reduce slippage.

LCP in a Pistol Wear PT-1 holster. Super comfortable and the LCP is the ultimate lightweight go anywhere do anything gun.

running while armed

Sorry i am so late seeing this thread. i am a runner, and I carry my keltec 3at in the largest size ArmPocket. Works well, just like carrying your cell phone or ipod. no fast draw, because of the zipper, but very secure. i run 6 miles wearing this in the the florida heat, it is made to protect electronics from rain or sweat while you run. Now why would a fit man feel the need to be armed when out for a run? I am a corrections officer of sixteen years. I tend to make some enemies just enforceing rules, and doing my job. sixteen years is a lot of enemies. very often while out on runs i have had people swear at me, swerve their car at me, throw trash at me, ect... I think that if sometime one of these guys decided to pull over and beat me and i was at about mile 5, I wouldn't be able to outsprint them to get away, but i could pull out my little Keltec and defend myself. I am a nice guy but even nice guys should have a back bone. I just don't see how one can go through life and have no enemies that might decide to get you while you are on a run.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I ordered one from pistol wear myself. I run and bike ride..It seems better than a fanny pak.Hasn't arrived yet,but,hope it works.Seems like it may help keep sweat from getting on gun.Maybe not,will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by runningscott View Post
    Sorry i am so late seeing this thread. i am a runner, and I carry my keltec 3at in the largest size ArmPocket. Works well, just like carrying your cell phone or ipod. no fast draw, because of the zipper, but very secure. i run 6 miles wearing this in the the florida heat, it is made to protect electronics from rain or sweat while you run. Now why would a fit man feel the need to be armed when out for a run? I am a corrections officer of sixteen years. I tend to make some enemies just enforceing rules, and doing my job. sixteen years is a lot of enemies. very often while out on runs i have had people swear at me, swerve their car at me, throw trash at me, ect... I think that if sometime one of these guys decided to pull over and beat me and i was at about mile 5, I wouldn't be able to outsprint them to get away, but i could pull out my little Keltec and defend myself. I am a nice guy but even nice guys should have a back bone. I just don't see how one can go through life and have no enemies that might decide to get you while you are on a run.
    Do what your comfort level tells you to do. I run 10 plus and 15-22 on saturdays. My comfort level is fine without carrying. How fast could you take out your pea shooter (j/k LOL) if you were confronted with a gun toting dude that was out to get you?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

like i said not real fast, maybe 2.5 seconds, but i can draw from it while on the move to buy me some time. yes that little Keltec would be about my last choice for ccw, but i can't find anything else as small and light. I have thought about pepper spray, and most of the time I think it would be a better choice, except what if the wind is at my targets back- into my face ? I have been sprayed before, I know I would have a hard time even trying to run away after being exposed to it.

So far there seems to be quite a few that think that they are relatively safe while jogging. I am not so sure... I realize the situation is a little different but I am sure the people participating in the Boston marathon were not expecting a violent encounter. I also realize that a runner that was carrying would not have changed the outcome of that particular set of circumstances.. However, what if they were different. What if instead there was a shooter in the crowd that started taking shots at the runners as they passed by? In my opinion we have to be prepared to protect ourselves and our family no matter the location or event.
    "Life isn't fair but having the root password helps!"

Glock 27 Gen 4

Quote Originally Posted by boomer77 View Post
    So far there seems to be quite a few that think that they are relatively safe while jogging. I am not so sure... I realize the situation is a little different but I am sure the people participating in the Boston marathon were not expecting a violent encounter. I also realize that a runner that was carrying would not have changed the outcome of that particular set of circumstances.. However, what if they were different. What if instead there was a shooter in the crowd that started taking shots at the runners as they passed by? In my opinion we have to be prepared to protect ourselves and our family no matter the location or event.
    It is called "risk assesmment".
    How many male runners have been attacked by BG's over the last 50 years? Seriously. If someone wants to carry while running, great. I am all for it. But I am not going to live my life by what ifing every little thing that could go wrong.

When I go run I have music playing and after 10 miles to 20 miles I am not looking around for BG's.

As far as marathoners carrying to protect themselves? Come on. Really. Do you run? How many marathoners do you see wearing fanny packs? Most are interested in time and buy the lightest shoes possible. Do you honestly think that someone in a race is going to to be carrying a weapon for SD.

Sometimes you just have to enjoy life and look at the risk factor.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I got a nice spot outside the cities that allows me a 3.5 mile trail that goes up and down steep hills, which I have taken a spill on a few times. Carrying is not in an option for me as that would only ad serious bruises to the equation. I still carry the SW borderguard though.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

MJK
    I just returned from a six mile run around Forest Park in StL. I carried my G36 in a MountainSmith fanny pack along with keys, phone and CCW permit. The chances of needing the G36 are low, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links