GUn in the Glove Box - Page 2

GUn in the Glove Box

This is a discussion on GUn in the Glove Box within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NH_Esau Go back. Tell the manager what's going on and ask them to pull it down off the lift. Give the worker ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: GUn in the Glove Box

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Go back. Tell the manager what's going on and ask them to pull it down off the lift. Give the worker $20 for his trouble and my mistake.
    +1!

Even better, tell them you need something from the glove box and ask them to pull it down off the lift. No need to tip - it was a mistake but it's your car and you're paying them to work on it.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I usually just leave it in the console or between the seat and console. I am choosy where I have work done.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Wear your gun, keep it on you where you have control over it. If I have to leave it in the car, it's locked in a COM safe and cabled to the seat braces.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Get it back. Period.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    +1 don't put it in the glove box....I have a safe in my truck for the occasions when I can't carry, Church, college.. and it's also alarmed
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

No one should leave a gun in a glove compartment for any reason..period. Remember you're responsible for that weapon. If I can't enter with my gun then I don't go there. Plan ahead people.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I keep my 642 in a pocket holster in my locked glove box, this has happened to me and I've left it there - didn't do anything, all was fine. However, that's not to say you'll always be so lucky.

I don't like the idea of leaving it in the glove box, but my thought on putting it there is that if something should ever happen and I need to resort to it - my plan is to say that I put my wallet in my glove box while driving because of back problems, 'hang on just a second while I get it'. It's much less obvious than reaching down and unlocking a safe to retrieve the firearm.

As far as the scenario in the opening post, I guess my question is who is liable for an incident should something happen in the shop? It was locked, holstered, and stored loaded, but they have the key and you know this. I have other firearms I carry, so taking it out and having it on me isn't always an option. I suppose having the safe in the car would be the best solution, even if just to move it in this type of situation - but if you forget? I guess if it were to happen again I'd go back and say I left something in my car and need to grab it quick - lowering a car isn't that big of a deal usually, and they typically understand. If that weren't an option it would depend on my schedule if I were able to sit and wait or not, if not - there's not much else you can do if you don't want to notify the manager of the situation.
    Personally, as a CCW, "forgetting" is akin to negligence in my book. When armed, including having a gun in the glovebox, you need to be on your "A" game with heightened situational awareness. I second the safe idea. Have one permanently mounted in your vehicle and put the gun in there during store stops, service, etc. You can take it out and put it in the glovebox while you're in the vehicle.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Completely agree that it was negligence on my part! I am a newbie who has just made his first big mistake.

I was out with my small son and started having car troubles and had just left a gun free zone (school) so it was in my glove box. I should have put it back on my person but didn't. Went directly to the shop where I was picked up by my wife. After getting home I realized the gun was still in the glove box and immediately had my wife take me back. I did not want to make a big fuss about it so I sat there and literally watched them work on my car from start to finish. They probably thought I was an A-hole but I did not want to tell them at the time the reason. In hindsight I should have just told them the situation and gotten the gun. But WI is still very new to CC and I didn't want to cause a fuss.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Just think ahead and remove your weapon and any other valuables before leaving your car with someone.

If you carry seriously, you carry for a reason. You should always be aware of exactly where that weapon is.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Won't happen in WA state because we can not carry in glove boxes. If you have a CCW, it MUST be on your person, not the seat, the center console or the glove box. So, if you are responsible and follow the laws, it should never happen.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

A few years ago I was shopping for a new car. I settled on a Monte Carlo and the dealer wanted to drive my trade-in. I gave him the keys and then said, "just a minute, I forgot something". He said to me, "Oh, you left your gun in the car?". I said "Excuse Me???". He said, "If a woman asks for the keys back it's because she left her handbag in the car, if a man asks for the keys back it's because he left his gun." Of course the funny part was that he was correct!

I hear ya Cook74 but in WI I can leave a loaded gun on the seat, trunk or glove box and still be within the confines of the law. Heck sometimes when driving I stick it in the cup holder because it is the easiest place to draw from.

Update...

Worked on a pickup today and had to remove the center console for access to hvac actuators...

Opened lid and hello Glock 23 gen 3.

Sitting in what appeared to be a Galco SOB holster.

Like I said, this is a bigger issue in other parts of the country I guess.

Last week it was a Judge under the drivers seat.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links