GUn in the Glove Box

GUn in the Glove Box

This is a discussion on GUn in the Glove Box within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is the scenario. You unexpectedly have to take your car to the shop where it will be for several hours. Upon leaving you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: GUn in the Glove Box

GUn in the Glove Box

So here is the scenario. You unexpectedly have to take your car to the shop where it will be for several hours. Upon leaving you realize that in the midst of all the chaos of unexpectedly taking your car there you have left your loaded holstered gun in the locked glove box which the shop clearly has the key to.

What do you do? Do you go back and ask to get into the car which is already on the lift? Do you do nothing? Or do you go back and keep a vigilant eye on the work being done and sit there for several hours while they work on your car? Perhaps you do something not mentioned above...

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Keep an eye on it. There shouldn't be a whole lot of risk while it on the lift. The risk would come if someone spent time in it looking around. Also, look into buying a small locking safe to prevent it from happening again.

I read somewhere most guns are stolen from vehicles . I second the gun safe, heck build your own.OR maximize the percentage of time its carried in a holster...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I keep my 642 in a pocket holster in my locked glove box, this has happened to me and I've left it there - didn't do anything, all was fine. However, that's not to say you'll always be so lucky.

I don't like the idea of leaving it in the glove box, but my thought on putting it there is that if something should ever happen and I need to resort to it - my plan is to say that I put my wallet in my glove box while driving because of back problems, 'hang on just a second while I get it'. It's much less obvious than reaching down and unlocking a safe to retrieve the firearm.

As far as the scenario in the opening post, I guess my question is who is liable for an incident should something happen in the shop? It was locked, holstered, and stored loaded, but they have the key and you know this. I have other firearms I carry, so taking it out and having it on me isn't always an option. I suppose having the safe in the car would be the best solution, even if just to move it in this type of situation - but if you forget? I guess if it were to happen again I'd go back and say I left something in my car and need to grab it quick - lowering a car isn't that big of a deal usually, and they typically understand. If that weren't an option it would depend on my schedule if I were able to sit and wait or not, if not - there's not much else you can do if you don't want to notify the manager of the situation.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    So here is the scenario. You unexpectedly have to take your car to the shop where it will be for several hours. Upon leaving you realize that in the midst of all the chaos of unexpectedly taking your car there you have left your loaded holstered gun in the locked glove box which the shop clearly has the key to.

What do you do? Do you go back and ask to get into the car which is already on the lift? Do you do nothing? Or do you go back and keep a vigilant eye on the work being done and sit there for several hours while they work on your car? Perhaps you do something not mentioned above...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I keep my 642 in a pocket holster in my locked glove box, this has happened to me and I've left it there - didn't do anything, all was fine. However, that's not to say you'll always be so lucky.

I don't like the idea of leaving it in the glove box, but my thought on putting it there is that if something should ever happen and I need to resort to it - my plan is to say that I put my wallet in my glove box while driving because of back problems, 'hang on just a second while I get it'. It's much less obvious than reaching down and unlocking a safe to retrieve the firearm.

As far as the scenario in the opening post, I guess my question is who is liable for an incident should something happen in the shop? It was locked, holstered, and stored loaded, but they have the key and you know this. I have other firearms I carry, so taking it out and having it on me isn't always an option. I suppose having the safe in the car would be the best solution, even if just to move it in this type of situation - but if you forget? I guess if it were to happen again I'd go back and say I left something in my car and need to grab it quick - lowering a car isn't that big of a deal usually, and they typically understand. If that weren't an option it would depend on my schedule if I were able to sit and wait or not, if not - there's not much else you can do if you don't want to notify the manager of the situation.
    I work at PepBoys- at least, I did until I had to go out on disability. I used to be the guy changing oil, and most newer cars have cabin air filters accessed from behind the glove box. I have opened many glove boxes to find someone's gun left lying there.

I've never touched one, but I went about my business like nothing out of the ordinary was going on. And, our manager gets upset if we don't check cabin air filters.

And, as for bringing a car back down once it's up in the air, it's really NOT a big deal. But, it IS annoying when you're getting paid by the job and now the quick, easy oil change is taking twice as long.

The best thing I can recommend, from a mechanic's point of view, is to either put it in a safe, or just take it out of the glove box and slide it under the seat; 99.9% of technician's have NO REASON to go under the seat. Only real reason would be a dropped tool, but that's another story...

The best option- of course- is to just put it in a holster on your hip, or drop it in your pocket.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Just tell them that it's there.

No big deal in my shop.

I would rather know than find out by surprise.

I see this from time to time when I need the customers wheel lock key, which is usually in the glove box.

I have found some rather interesting things (and otherwise) while doing interior work on cars!
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Apologies to all mechanics out there....but if I brain-farted my firearm in the glove compartment.....i'd be going back and having the lift brought down for me to get it. I'm not a wealthy person, so I only have one firearm. By going back and getting it, you relieve the responsibility of any outcomes that happen w/ it being left in others' hands AND, like in my scenario, continue to be protected while the work is being done. This is based on a "drop off" .....if you're staying there waiting for the repair, not nearly as big of a deal IMO.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

I'v had a gun stolen out of a locked glove box. I no longer keep anything of any value in the car.
    DanielC likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Personally, I never leave my handgun in the glovebox so it can't happen to me. It's always more secure than that when I need to leave it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post

I guess the first question that comes to mind, is why do you have your holstered, loaded weapon in the glove box and not on your person? I can understand IF you had to go into a gun free area while your car was being serviced, but, I think if that were the case, unless it was an emergency, I'd try to plan my service call to the point I wouldn't be visiting a gun free area if I left the premises while my vehicle was being serviced. However, IF I had left it in the glove box because of that emergency visit to the gun free area, I'd just have to roll the dice and depend on my servicer/employees to leave my weapon alone, and know that it would be there when I returned, that is providing I didn't have a gun safe (which I do)...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'd be back at the shop and doing whatever it takes to get my gun back. That's my weapon and I'm not letting it fall into the wrong hands.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Go back. Tell the manager what's going on and ask them to pull it down off the lift. Give the worker $20 for his trouble and my mistake.
    BenGoodLuck and mlr1m like this.

I would notify the management that you have a CC permit, and you have a gun in the car and the location. Then check immediately when you get your car back. The only people back there are the mechanics and I would say 99% of them would never steal anything out of a car. I'm a plumbing contractor, and I have to go into people's homes regularly. I would never even think about stealing something. If you check for the gun the minute you leave, and you know you had it before you arrived, there's only one place it could be. Chances of it being recovered are 99.9% The guy would have to steal your gun then immediately leave. Even then his identity would be known by others that worked there.

Pull all weapons before leaving car .

I worked over 35 years in auto management ( thank god I am out ) .

I had seen some the guys messing with customers weapons dont give them the chance.

I am here to tell you never ever leave any thing in your car personal info to food has come up missing

Some of the owners I worked for where worse than the ones working on your car

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Pull all weapons before leaving car .

I worked over 35 years in auto management ( thank god I am out ) .

I had seen some the guys messing with customers weapons dont give them the chance.

I am here to tell you never ever leave any thing in your car personal info to food has come up missing

Some of the owners I worked for where worse than the ones working on your car
    Wow, in light of this post disregard what I had said previously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links