Could you get to it if you had to? - Page 2

Could you get to it if you had to?

This is a discussion on Could you get to it if you had to? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 I was doing some training this morning and it reminded me of something that I has practiced before. If for whatever ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Could you get to it if you had to?

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I was doing some training this morning and it reminded me of something that I has practiced before.

If for whatever reason you were in a SD situation and suddenly your dominate arm/hand was incapacitated, could you number one reach your holstered weapon with your non gun hand and number two could you employ it effectively?

Some may not be able to do this simply because of body mechanics, shape or the position of their holster. Others may be restricted due to an old injury. I am not talking about a speed draw I am simply talking about being able to reach your weapon by whatever means and get it into your hand and use it.

Simply due to the abuse I have put my body through over the years I have had to adjust the way I do things. My left shoulder will not allow me to reach around to my right hip behind my back to draw a weapon so when I carry strong side I normally have a BUG on my off gun side. I have also found myself carrying AIWB more and more. It enables me to reach the weapon with either hand should I need it.

In regards to employing it with my off hand this simply takes practice, practice and more practice. Many times though I have found that people will shoot better with their off hand simply because they are really taking the time to do the fundementals of trigger squeeze, sight alignment, breathing and so on.

If you have never tried this, try it now it may lead you to make some changes or adjustments that could save your life.
    Yes....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

NMB
    Kahr CM9, appendix carry in an uncle mikes clip holster.

Easily accessible by both hands. Only time I dont carry up front is in the jeep or if I know I will be sitting down for a long time.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

This is why I carry two G27's as bug's,G23 at 4 o'clock r-side,g27 left ankle,g27 left thigh pocket,Benchmade folder r-pocket,kershaw blur l-pocket,and sometimes a P.B&J in my back pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    This is why I carry two G27's as bug's,G23 at 4 o'clock r-side,g27 left ankle,g27 left thigh pocket,Benchmade folder r-pocket,kershaw blur l-pocket,and sometimes a P.B&J in my back pockets.
    I just couldn't do that LOL. I wear shorts unless pants are necessary. How long does it take you to dress in the morning?
    Last edited by suntzu; April 13th, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: BTW:My plan is not to get shot strong side LOL

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Good Lord! You accessorize more than I do! Pb&j might be a tad messy! :p
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

I usually get dressed in about 15 minutes,it's easy cause I wear 5.11's and a Polo everyday,i'm required to have one bug,so putting another in my thigh pocket kinda happened by accident,it was a partners who's holster broke,I did'nt notice the extra weight ,so just started carrying another there,the knives have alway's been there,it's like a plate carrier and gear,after a while you don't notice the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I just couldn't do that LOL. I wear shorts unless pants are necessary. How long does it take you to dress in the morning?

Almost always have a back up gun as close to identical as my primary. Glock 26x2 for now. Breaking in Kahr PM9 as possible replacement. I have not carried for long but figured if I started this way I would keep at it. Mostly set up for my dominant hand but the back up reachable by non dominant.

Living in New York I heard this was called a "New York reload" and assumed it was mandatory if you carry here.
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

I wear shorts unless pants are necessary.
    There is a smartcarry with room for 2, wearable with shorts. Has a pocket behind the holsters for the knives.

Now you have no excuse.
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

it was a partners who's holster broke,I did'nt notice the extra weight ,so just started carrying another there,the knives have alway's been there,it's like a plate carrier and gear,after a while you don't notice the weight.
    He's too afraid to ask for it back now?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Originally Posted by tacman605
    ...My left shoulder will not allow me to reach around to my right hip behind my back to draw a weapon so when I carry strong side I normally have a BUG on my off gun side. I have also found myself carrying AIWB more and more. It enables me to reach the weapon with either hand should I need it...
    Plus 1 for AIWB.
    I have issues with both shoulders; esp my "right". I carry strong side AIWB. But, I also carry a bug in my pocket when I can.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    That was a consideration when I was deciding the location & cant of my rig. Sitting at 4:30, even with a serious cant, is a can-do situation. Plus, I've always cross-trained & practiced one-handed shooting - funny thing is, last time at the range I did a little better (during first mags) with my weak side.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    My EDC method is in a belly band, so if my right hand was incapacitated, I can grab hold of the belly band with my left hand, slide the gun around my waist and draw the gun with my left hand. The gun will be facing the wrong way, but it can be easily turned around. I'd have to struggle with reloading as I don't have an ambidextrous magazine release.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    My EDC method is in a belly band, so if my right hand was incapacitated, I can grab hold of the belly band with my left hand, slide the gun around my waist and draw the gun with my left hand. The gun will be facing the wrong way, but it can be easily turned around. I'd have to struggle with reloading as I don't have an ambidextrous magazine release.
    I don't know what kind of firearm you use but I press the mag release on my glock with my index finger. Works fine and I can maintain a pretty good grip with my thumb and three other digits.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Yes. Since the late 1990s, I have generally carried a second weapon situated for "off" hand access, but if carrying only one, yes, it is accessible to either hand. FWIW, from the beginning of my hand gunning days, I have carried "primary" on my right side, even though I am a lefty by nature. The reasons are many, so I will not repeat them here, but it boils down to the caveman-level of simplicity of pulling a trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links