Could you get to it if you had to?

This is a discussion on Could you get to it if you had to? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was doing some training this morning and it reminded me of something that I has practiced before. If for whatever reason you were in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Could you get to it if you had to?

VIP Member

I was doing some training this morning and it reminded me of something that I has practiced before.

If for whatever reason you were in a SD situation and suddenly your dominate arm/hand was incapacitated, could you number one reach your holstered weapon with your non gun hand and number two could you employ it effectively?

Some may not be able to do this simply because of body mechanics, shape or the position of their holster. Others may be restricted due to an old injury. I am not talking about a speed draw I am simply talking about being able to reach your weapon by whatever means and get it into your hand and use it.

Simply due to the abuse I have put my body through over the years I have had to adjust the way I do things. My left shoulder will not allow me to reach around to my right hip behind my back to draw a weapon so when I carry strong side I normally have a BUG on my off gun side. I have also found myself carrying AIWB more and more. It enables me to reach the weapon with either hand should I need it.

In regards to employing it with my off hand this simply takes practice, practice and more practice. Many times though I have found that people will shoot better with their off hand simply because they are really taking the time to do the fundementals of trigger squeeze, sight alignment, breathing and so on.

If you have never tried this, try it now it may lead you to make some changes or adjustments that could save your life.
    QKShooter, TSiWRX and Hoganbeg like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I can but its not easy. I can also reload one handed and rack the slide. I even practice a with my off hand but am a long way from finished with either hand.

Yeah I could. Not the easiest thing, but I could.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    This why I usually carry two. I carry my on strong side at 3:00 and yes, I can get it out off-hand, but it comes out upside down, with my pinky closest to the trigger. Worthless in a fight for my life.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    ...but it comes out upside down, with my pinky closest to the trigger. Worthless in a fight for my life.
    Not if you're Jason Bourne.

Bourneid-wp5e.sigp229.jpg
    bamfsig45 and NMB like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Not if you're Jason Bourne.

Bourneid-wp5e.sigp229.jpg
    I'm not Jet Li, either.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Not sure I could reach my gun at the 3:30 position with my left. Ive never tried either.

I should probably Carry at least my BUG in left hand pants pocket which would probably be easier anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm not Jet Li, either.
    Sounds like a personal problem to me.

My blog

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Not at all, just a reference to his disassembly of a Glock which wasn't really a Glock in the Lethal Weapon flick.
    William T. Sherman

AOK
    Yes, I can access my primary with my off hand. It does come out upside down which would be no good if fighting at contact distances. However, depending on the situation, I think stating it's worthless is a little overstated.

I also have a BUG that I can get to for in fight access (located on my off hand side). Similar to dominant hand shooting I can shoot from the #2, #3, or #4 positions depending on what the situation calls for. Admittedly, this is area I neglect far to often and I certainly need to work on it more.

Good post tacman605...I think your question contributes a lot toward the consideration of carrying a BUG. As for technique in reaching your weapon and running it after reaching it, I believe there was a video recently posted on here (maybe I'm dreaming and watched it elsewhere), regarding some of the different techniques. I agree with Mike1956, that it won't do you a lot of good IF you are in contact distance, but, otherwise, every lil tool you have in your toolbox can be helpful in an emergency and this is one of them. You just made me realize that I need to practice this more.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

^^^This!^^^
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

I could as I carry today (appendix...would be a weak-side cross-draw), but not very effectively. Also probably will be negated once I get my new IWB holster in (CBST).
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

VIP Member
    If you can get to it at all and get it out of the holster you are doing a lot. If you are in a contact distance fight for your life hopefully you are kicking, punching or whatever else you can do to create distance.

If you can get the weapon out though with enough distance, simply adjust your grip and fight on.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

This might sound strange to some but a long time ago I started to do about 30 to 50 percent of my day to day activities with my off hand. We had to be able to shoot and manipulate firearms almost equally with both hands. By breaking and scrambling eggs, to cleaning the dishes, using the mouse left handed and such over a surprisingly short period of time you start getting pretty ambi dexterous. The point is we train to shoot off hand but it is not natural. By training your brain to use your off hand it starts to become second nature. Back to topic. Another thing that is good about is you get use to reaching for things with your offhand making that side a tad more flexible than it other would be. So I can reach with my offhand to draw my weapon and it is alomost, not quite, second nature to shoot with that hand. Sounds weird but it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links