Elevator Nightmare

This is a discussion on Elevator Nightmare within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me a few weeks ago, doors opened in time and I was able to get out. Got me thinking of "what-if" doors ...

View Poll Results: In scenario, I will:

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • use gun

76 39.38%
  • use taser

9 4.66%
  • use batton/kubotan/etc

10 5.18%
  • use pepper spray

13 6.74%
  • use knife

43 22.28%
  • go mano-a-mano(hand-to-hand)

59 30.57%
  • other

28 14.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elevator Nightmare

Exclamation Elevator Nightmare

This happened to me a few weeks ago, doors opened in time and I was able to get out. Got me thinking of "what-if" doors didn't open, and "what-if" I was with significant others.

Prelude:
    You are in an elevator, doors open and grungy looking 250lbs/6'2" guy comes in, reeking of alcohol; door closes before you can think "hey, I should get off here and avoid trouble!".

Action:
    As soon as elevator starts to move, guy looks at you and asks "what you looking at?", then pounces at you and pins you against the elevator's back wall - his left hand to your neck, his right hand closed into a fist - arching back getting ready to punch your face. Time it took BG to grab you by your neck, from were he was standing = 1.5seconds (from when he finishes his question). Significant other(s) (child, partner, family member, friend, etc.) is(are) inside the elevator with you, and you do not know their location (BG takes pretty much all of your field of view).

No "this will never happen to me" allowed - I'm 99% sure you will get into an elevator with someone you care for during your lifetime, and you have no control of what happens when the doors open/close.

Hope scenario is useful for "you-all". Added a poll for thoose who don't like to post/rather stay anonymous. If you post, please also vote on poll.

Clock starts now, good luck.
    Last edited by cagueits; September 5th, 2006 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Typo

2. Remove Ads

I voted "Other" because there is more than one answer and they come in progression. 1: Try to talk. 2: mano-a-mano to try to put some distance between me and him however small. Drawing gun at point blank means almost guaranteed having to use it and some kind of evasive move, then drawing might make him think twice. Finally shoot as a last resort. Even if he were to grab someone else, I think I could still hit him at elevator range. The real problem is that all this would happen very quickly.

Senior Moderator
    He initiated contact, I will finish it.

He's got his hand on my throat, I am clasping both of my hands together and with a violent upward thrust I will attack the arm grabbing my throat with my left arm, the right arm being able to block an incoming hit. As the arm grabbing my throat is removed, my left arm is already in position to administer an open hand stike to the left side of his neck just underneath the jawline where several pressure points lie, the right arm which is blocking will either arm lock his arm or if need be a thumb strike to the right eyball might conivince him to pick on people that are smaller than he, not bigger.

If needed, Im stomping the top of his foot with my boot and then kicking the shin directly in between the knee and the top of the foot on another pressure point that he never knew existed till that day.

Since it's close quarter combat, Im a big beleiver in using an elbow smash to the nose, lips or forehead.Grabbing either one of his hands can result in finger locks that will either bring him to his knees or turn his fingers into pretezels.

Theres a multitude of options that can be used in much less time than it takes to describe. Since he is drunk, its very likely that any fight wont last long, that false bravado that results usually goes way pretty quickly when they begin to feel pain.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quick jab to the adam's apple w/ a kick to the side of the knee. Once you smash a man's knee, they will go down no matter how big they are. You can't stand w/ a broken knee. Once he is on his knee/knees, continue w/ repeated knee strikes to his face until I feel he is no longer a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    He initiated contact, I will finish it.

He's got his hand on my throat, I am clasping both of my hands together and with a violent upward thrust I will attack the arm grabbing my throat with my left arm, the right arm being able to block an incoming hit. As the arm grabbing my throat is removed, my left arm is already in position to administer an open hand stike to the left side of his neck just underneath the jawline where several pressure points lie, the right arm which is blocking will either arm lock his arm or if need be a thumb strike to the right eyball might conivince him to pick on people that are smaller than he, not bigger.

If needed, Im stomping the top of his foot with my boot and then kicking the shin directly in between the knee and the top of the foot on another pressure point that he never knew existed till that day.

Since it's close quarter combat, Im a big beleiver in using an elbow smash to the nose, lips or forehead.Grabbing either one of his hands can result in finger locks that will either bring him to his knees or turn his fingers into pretezels.

Theres a multitude of options that can be used in much less time than it takes to describe. Since he is drunk, its very likely that any fight wont last long, that false bravado that results usually goes way pretty quickly when they begin to feel pain.

Unless he has a knife and stabsthe **** out of you. I say, If I am packing I will have my hand on my gun as soon as I realize this person is getting in there with me. Even when I am not armed, if I am with my girl and situations like this happen I always position myself between her and the threat, ready to fight for her and my own life.

Or just get off when he gets on, have a talk with her before about what to do if this ever happens (avoid situations where you are trapped with questionable people.) This way you dont have to feel like a panzy man. She will know you just care about her safty.

If I am alone, I would stay and take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbond View Post
    Quick jab to the adam's apple w/ a kick to the side of the knee. Once you smash a man's knee, they will go down no matter how big they are. You can't stand w/ a broken knee. Once he is on his knee/knees, continue w/ repeated knee strikes to his face until I feel he is no longer a threat.
    have ou ever hit anything with you knees before? It hurts.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    One right knee - Express Mailed - directly to his groin. Prolly a follow-on punch to the guys ear (gotta nail that equilibrium). Then roll him onto his stomach, and pin both his hands between my knee and the small of his back with hand on gun. Wait til the elevator opens and scream bloody murder if I can't get to my phone....

I don't subscribe to the "clean fight" theory. He goes for my throat - he invited trouble. However if I can't get a knee or fist in anyplace, this fellow will have speed-holes installed in his torso. Free of charge!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I have a Monadnock Persuader attached to my car key for this sort of thing. It lives in my left pocket with the key either hanging out or perched high in the pocket for a quick grab. I tend to hook my thumb casually into it whenever the situation starts going to condition orange, with the intent of using it to buy time to get to the Bersa in my Coronado vest or the primary gun. (PT99 or 1911, IWB, and usually tucked, so slow to draw)

If a jab to the armpit, solar plexus, throat, groin, or whatever else I can reach doesn't stop the punch, then things could get nasty. I probably wouldn't start shooting util the situation got pretty hopeless, though, since your BG isn't that much bigger than I am, and SWMBO would probably be clawing/biting/kicking/beating him from behind by that point.

Helpless, you'd better read that book I mentioned in your intro. Also a properly delivered knee strike dosn't hurt the deliverer but can sure hurt the deliveree!

This is the place where those unarmed tactics we should all have learned comes into play. With my back to the wall I do have an advantage of being able to use several knee strike and or stomping techniques combined with either ear smashes or throat smash with the added force of "putting my back in it" or using that barrier to increase the force of a blow by pushing off. Another possibility is to go after an elbow lock or break depending on his stance/position. No matter how drunk he is with a broken knee, broken foot, privates crushed, elbow out of joint and ruptured ear drums or some combination there of his ability to continue as a threat will diminish fast.

Trying to wrestle with a larger oponent and draw and the same time leaves too much chance of me getting shot with my own weapon. Also leaves a good chance of a stray round hitting an innocent.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Fortunately for me I'm his size. I would do whatever it takes to survive the situation. Knees, elbows, teeth, head butt, fists and feet.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

quickly analyze who i am dealing with, is he angered and out of control, or just a wise guy looking to make someone feel less than him. In the first case i would just shoot him, first to stop him, he stops i stop, in the second case i might try talking him down,
    no luck with that back to solution 1.

He has his hand on your throat and the other ready to strike,
    to me this is a serious situation, its more than a threat, he has begun
    to take action, comes back to draw and shoot.

JimB

Lead Moderator
    Hand to hand for me to start. A throat or knee strike, or a shot to the groin would work well. Even on a drunk person. However depending on how intoxicated he is, the approach might need to differ. Last resort , consider shooting, either up thru the head or chest.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by jimbthestripper View Post
    quickly analyze who i am dealing with, is he angered and out of control, or just a wise guy looking to make someone feel less than him. In the first case i would just shoot him, first to stop him, he stops i stop, in the second case i might try talking him down,
    no luck with that back to solution 1.

He has his hand on your throat and the other ready to strike,
    to me this is a serious situation, its more than a threat, he has begun
    to take action, comes back to draw and shoot.
    JimB
    You don't have time in this scenario to "analyze" anything. He's already attacked, all you can do is follow your training(if you've taken the time): Bring him in, demolish him, then spit him back out.

Well, I haven't been in an elevator in 15 years, and I don't anticipate ever being in one again.
    Benefits of living a country life I reckon.
    For the sake of discussion, I can play along though. I would shoot him.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
    Well, I haven't been in an elevator in 15 years, and I don't anticipate ever being in one again.
    Benefits of living a country life I reckon.
    For the sake of discussion, I can play along though. I would shoot him.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links